Thread: Where it all got started!!....my drum obsession!!

User Info Menu

Default Where it all got started!!....my drum obsession!!

My wife and I were doing some spring cleanup around the house this weekend and I ran across a old box of my stuff from High School, with awards, track ribbons....(u know useless junk!)....Anyway, I found this picture, and I had just texted my Mom about a week ago telling her, if she ever ran across this pic to make me a copy!

So this is where my DRUM OBSESSION all began, watching this guy play drums at our church. I'm the little guy in this picture, this would have been in 1984-85'...so I was 4.5-5! The other guy in the picture is Hankey...odd name, I know, but he was an amazing drummer. I would watch him play and I would beat away on a song book with pens or pencils. He would get so carried away with excitement that on frequent occasion he would lose grip of a stick, and it would go flying across the stage, like a dangerous wooden projectile....it's a wonder he didn't take a couple of the chior ladies out!! From that time on, I have always been an addicted drummer!! Just thought this was neat, hope to see other member pics of them when they got started!

One last thing I thought would be neat would be to list the drums I've owned over the past 28.5 years of drumming....some of y'alls list might be a term paper.....that is if you can remember all of yours!!

1. Ludwig 5 pc, blue sparkle, mixed junk cymbals (Kit was total junk, but it got me started) lol!
    2. Ludwig 5 pc, solid gray, again mixed junk cymbals (a small step up from the first ludwigs!)
    3. Pearl Export 5pc, smoke gray with all Sabian cymbals (loved this kit!)
    4. Pearl All maple 7pc (don't remember any series badges) Emarld green, Sabians (wish I would have never sold this kit, but needed the $)
    5. Ddrum Dios Ash 5pc, Black burst- All Sabians...I guess you could say I'm hooked on Sabians!

Born to DRUM!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Where it all got started!!....my drum obsession!!

Cool pic! Wow....look at those Tom angles, LOL!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That's a really cool photo...thanks for sharing it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Cool pic! Wow....look at those Tom angles, LOL!
    Thanks, yea I remember my Toms on my early kits having the same angles! lol!
    Born to DRUM!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    That's a really cool photo...thanks for sharing it!
    Thanks!
    Born to DRUM!!

User Info Menu

Cool picture!
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

This is where my love of drums started, I played trumpet in my HS marching band. Ever since I've loved the sound of a good marching cadence, with a particular fondness for the sound of a marching snare. Nearly 20 years after the photo above was taken, I decided I was finally going to buy myself a marching snare and learn how to play it. My online research lead me to DrumChat. Seeing all of the amazing drum sets and reading about the experiences all of you have had made me want a drum set of my own. I bought an old set of Vistalites and haven't looked back!

Here is the exhaustive list of all the drums I have owned, since finding this site last December:

Roland RMP-12- I work in a fire station, late at night when everyone else is asleep, I'll plug in some headphones and play.

Roland TD-3- I have this set up in my spare bedroom so I can play when my son is visiting and asleep!

1978 Ludwigs Vistalites w/ Paiste Cymbals and HH- All times not listed above, this is what I jam on! I wish someone had told me years ago how much stress relief can be had just playing a drum set for even five minutes!

User Info Menu

Cool pics guys!

Jarhead, if all goes well, my son - the Jarhead - will soon be fighting fires in Denver. He has come through the first 2 steps.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post

This is where my love of drums started, I played trumpet in my HS marching band. Ever since I've loved the sound of a good marching cadence, with a particular fondness for the sound of a marching snare. Nearly 20 years after the photo above was taken, I decided I was finally going to buy myself a marching snare and learn how to play it. My online research lead me to DrumChat. Seeing all of the amazing drum sets and reading about the experiences all of you have had made me want a drum set of my own. I bought an old set of Vistalites and haven't looked back!

Here is the exhaustive list of all the drums I have owned, since finding this site last December:

Roland RMP-12- I work in a fire station, late at night when everyone else is asleep, I'll plug in some headphones and play.

Roland TD-3- I have this set up in my spare bedroom so I can play when my son is visiting and asleep!

1978 Ludwigs Vistalites w/ Paiste Cymbals and HH- All times not listed above, this is what I jam on! I wish someone had told me years ago how much stress relief can be had just playing a drum set for even five minutes!

Nice, I love it! And YES, you are totally right, drums are a great stress relief, back when my wife and I first got married.....and I still had a BAD temper, if we would get into a huge fight, instead of saying something I knew I would regret, I would leave and go to the church and play my drums for a while....it was amazing how much I would calm down and how much better my attitude would be when I returned home!.....Some of those mad rage jamming sessions probably attributed to helping me have a lot better marriage, as opposed to staying there fighting back and forth!!
    Born to DRUM!!