Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: marching music

User Info Menu

Default marching music

hi im looking for some marching snare music to practice to make the snare line next year. Any suggestions? free is always nice if u can find any
    MARCHING BANDS RULE

User Info Menu

your looking for music to practice with to make snare hmm?

Dont look for music, look for rudiments, perfect those, then start working on putting them together into a big collaboration, relaly fast

User Info Menu

i have been practicing rudiments but i still kinda want sheet music
    MARCHING BANDS RULE

User Info Menu

Hmm, well, i dont now what to tell you, i didnt learn from sheet music

I learned from alfred drum method snare book 1, its a great book, teaches you everything from quarternotes and resting up to setuplets, then theres a book 2 and 3 also im pretty sure

User Info Menu

I can't do them, but if you want you can try sixteenth note grids, and triplet grids.
    Rudiments (though I can't do them either) are good to learn.
    You'll win lots of best percussion awards for rudiments.
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash
    PDP Double bass Pedal, PDP throne.

User Info Menu

thanks
    MARCHING BANDS RULE

User Info Menu

Come hang out with us any time, Wilddrummer! Our marching band drummers are always looking for others to talk with.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

live in california
    MARCHING BANDS RULE

User Info Menu

what city in cali?
    Got Chops?
    Freshman:Bass 3(Marching Band)
    Bass 2(Winter Drumline)[Bass Captain]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wilddrummer View Post
    hi im looking for some marching snare music to practice to make the snare line next year. Any suggestions? free is always nice if u can find any
    If you have a definate band in mind, get their existing drum music and practice that. The drumming field is so big, you may waste a year practicing the wrong things.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SkyhawkDrummer View Post
    what city in cali?
    Modesto and i'm going to go to beyer. There the best.
    MARCHING BANDS RULE

User Info Menu

I've got a book of snare drum solos I think there's about 35 of them. I'll try and scan in the first page which is solo 1 & 2.

User Info Menu

oh cool,if you wanna build up your snare chops work on doubles and threes on a pillow.and paradiddles,work on stick heights and dont learn from sheet music,I tried it, didnt work, get warmups from your instructor then just work all your rudiments til your arms are burnin
    Got Chops?

User Info Menu

I second that, SkyHawk.
    I need to build my chops myself, I have like no chops at all. LOL!
    "If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer."
    - Henry David Thoreau

My set: Sonor Force 2003 Fusion Kit. 16" B8 Thin Crash, 20" B8 Ride, 16" Wuhan China, 14" B8 hi-hats, 10" AAX Splash

User Info Menu

Yea, im constantly building my chops, but nothings working for me, my drumming instructor tells me that their just gonna build over time

User Info Menu

honestly my line has a warm up the line section leader wrote in 16th notes its easy but when they have me kick up the tempo thats when its really fun and intresting id say stick woth the rudiments for now and work from there.

User Info Menu

Yea...
    But i'm no good at rudiments either...
    What kind of drummer am I? LOL!
    - Henry David Thoreau

User Info Menu

Candlelight dont worry about it,find a rudiments page and practice those to death.the only way to build chops is to play your rudiments w/ proper technique @ higher tempos.but dont go over board and try to play triple ratamacues @ 250 bpm instantly.work your way up.listen to cheeze he gave me some great advice.also your drum captain(if he/she is nice like mine) will give you a lot of advice to help you.i know i got better @ my trad. grip by listening to my DC and people on this forum and other forums.
    Got Chops?

User Info Menu

Spoken like a true friend, Skyhawk. Thanks,
    I have a rudiment page bookmarked, and (truth be told) I have slacked off in the off-season a little bit.
    Time to get back on it! LOL!
    - Henry David Thoreau

User Info Menu

yup yup, triplets on one hand, back and forth works, and play rudiments faster and faster

User Info Menu

yea candlelight check out the vic firth rudiments page it has tempos for beginners up to experts.check out each rudiment and try to master them,Chops will burn and you'll get way better.there is also video demonstrations for each rudiment
    Got Chops?

User Info Menu

yeaa, sit there, metronome on the table for liek a hour running rudiments, try doing them backwards, try doing thme quiet, loud, fast and quiet, without accents, with accnets, ect

Gets a nice feel for the rudiment

User Info Menu

I have mentioned this book before and will mention it again...great for building chops and has many cool solos in it to learn too "All American Drummer" Wilcoxon
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

14 Contest Snare Drum Solos by John Pratt is an excellent study. I taught DCI drumline late 70's to early 80's. Number one rule is to execute all rudiments with proper form. Get a good teacher to help you. Second is ability to read music...the old school used to teach by rote. that didn't work with me. When you can read, you can play.

User Info Menu

If you don't have it, get a copy of Stick Control by George L. Stone. It is a chop builder and has great section on flam stickings. This book is a BIBLE and will do more for you than anything else on the market.