Thread: Drumsticks > $

User Info Menu

Default Drumsticks > $

Looking for pairs of drum sticks by the dozen at very low cost I like nylon tip but if the price was worth it would consider wood. If you can post how to find these or message me a link would be great.
    Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumsticks > $

I have seen bundles of sticks on eBay which are very cheap. Unfortunately they can be cheap for a reason. To test the water I bought a few pairs from the same manufacturer - 1 Jazz maple, and 1 Jazz oak.

When I received them I discovered why they were so cheap. One set had a chip out of the playing end of one stick (Ball? - don't know if that's the right terminology), one pair was different coloured wood - same wood but one much darker than the other. I use them but ONLY on foam silencer pads. When the pads come off I use (full price) Vic Firth sticks. I don't want to trash my heads.

I haven't seen any bundles of sticks from quality manufacturers at low cost but I live in England. I think you will have much more choice and availability in the US.

User Info Menu

Drum Bum has a great deal on these if you want to check them out. They own this site, so the link is OK.

User Info Menu

Hey Binne welcome to DC! I love seeing some more children of the corn around here! I agree with crispy I received a dozen sticks from an unknown manufacturer as a Christmas gift last year and they are cheap. They have no finish they're rough on your hands and after about 3 or 4 practice sessions they break right in half, normally I would have gone through 1 or 2 pairs of vic firth sticks by this time, but I have gone through 10 of these sticks and that would be like 20 pairs of my good sticks because I throw away the pair when a stick breaks which I haven't done with these because they're not sonically matched. Just today I went to practice (I have a cold by the way so I'm not exactly hitting hard) and broke two sticks in a half hour practice session (more like 15 minutes because I was coughing most of the time).

Anyway I'd recommend getting some good sticks and hitting light, what I will switch back to when all of these sticks are gone are Pro-mark Hickory 5B with Nylon tips, I'd recomend either Pro-mark or Vic Firth I've used both and their both pretty good quality. The main point I'm trying to make is you can buy cheap cymbals, cheap drum-heads, cheap hardware and cheap sticks but eventually, and especially with sticks it will come back to bite you, they may be cheaper but you'll go through them faster and end up losing money.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

I play very lightly, but for some reason or another i want the comfort knowing i have a plethura of drumsticks, I have only ever broken one stick. if you dont count an ocassional cheap nylon tip coming off but i just glue em back on

User Info Menu

Lol that "sticks" brand is the only stick i have ever broken they sell at my local music store for 2.99 so the 30$ with shipping might save me a couple bucks, but doesnt beat a trip to the music store.

User Info Menu

Generally speaking, you almost always get what you pay for. If you go cheap, that's what you get, cheap and usually an inferior product. Since your a light hitter, I would go with a quality stick that will probably last you a long time.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Go with the good sticks.

I probably hit harder than you and I've only broken 2 sticks playing over a 40 year span, and I use fairly light sticks- VF AJ3's.

User Info Menu

vic firth brick

try squeeze your local into a deal or buy online

User Info Menu

I bought a cheap brick once and regretted it. It was something from China. I will buy the cheaper bricks of Zildjian (Power Pro), or VF (Nova). Vater has one too but not sure of the name.

Anyone try the GC stick club? It's seems to be sort of a gimmick
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

bridgeofsouls Guest

Try nova sticks. They are Vic firth seconds. They are good sticks with minor cosmetic flaws that made them "b grade".

User Info Menu

Vater:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Drum Bum has a great deal on these if you want to check them out. They own this site, so the link is OK.

I used these sticks, both wood and nylon tip (5a and 7a ) for a number of years. Because of my stubbornness, I continued to use them even though they would break easily. I would go through brick after brick of these sticks, while my Vic Firths would last. I since stop using these On Stage sticks and use Vic Firth for both practice and live play. Trust me, you will be buying another brick of the On Stage sticks within two weeks. And you will be glueing the nylon tips back on all the time. They come off easily.
    Last edited by 501208; 04-04-2014 at 01:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 501208 View Post
    I used these sticks, both wood and nylon tip (5a and 7a ) for a number of years. Because of my stubbornness, I continued to use them even though they would break easily. I would go through brick after brick of these sticks, while my Vic Firths would last. I since stop using these On Stage sticks and use Vic Firth for both practice and live play. Trust me, you will be buying another brick of the On Stage sticks within two weeks. And you will be glueing the nylon tips back on all the time. They come off easily.
    I use them as practice sticks and they rarely break so I'm not sure what you're doing that I'm not doing. I will say, that I'm using the wood tips so I can't speak to the tips falling off issue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I use them as practice sticks and they rarely break so I'm not sure what you're doing that I'm not doing. I will say, that I'm using the wood tips so I can't speak to the tips falling off issue.
    Different strokes for different folks. I can only go off of my experience with these particular sticks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Vater:

Vater sticks are by far my favorite

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bridgeofsouls View Post
    Try nova sticks. They are Vic firth seconds. They are good sticks with minor cosmetic flaws that made them "b grade".
    Thats what I run, great sticks for the money.

User Info Menu

thanks ill check it out

User Info Menu

I've seen various VF and Promark stick packs, usually with 12 pairs. Never tried them. I would just get great quality sticks and stick with those. If you're not a hard hitter you will be using them for a long time.

User Info Menu

I agree good sticks are the way to go, but if you do buy cheap sticks, you can tape them up before you use them and they will last a lot longer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Thats what I run, great sticks for the money.
    I have a couple of pairs of these - both freebies - 1 thrown in with a set of tom heads, and one with an EMAD I bought last year. Didn't know they were seconds - they seem fine to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bridgeofsouls View Post
    +1

I use these for my rock stuff - 5a nylons. They have cosmetic flaws but otherwise are identicle to their more expensive brothers. I buy them by the brick so get better value again.

Options are a little more limited in UK and sticks are pretty pricey for what they are. The Nova's help to reduce running costs for this drummer.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    +1

I use these for my rock stuff - 5a nylons. They have cosmetic flaws but otherwise are identicle to their more expensive brothers. I buy them by the brick so get better value again.

Options are a little more limited in UK and sticks are pretty pricey for what they are. The Nova's help to reduce running costs for this drummer.
    I just ordered 12 pair of 5a's from amazon and they were only 19$ US ?

reviews looked good though