Thread: Microphone Tests

User Info Menu

Default Microphone Tests

I tested three microphones side by side through the same mixer. One was a famous name popular microphone that costs about USA $ 100, the others were an inexpensive $ 14 microphone and a $ 13 microphone with a 1/4 inch jack that I plug into a little amp for vocal practice. They are all dynamic microphones, have ball type windscreens, some have metal handle others plastic handle.

The three microphones sound the same to me. Not almost the same, but identical.

I expected the $ 100 brand name microphone to sound better but they all sound the same.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Microphone Tests

are your ears learned ?

a popular brand ...hmm shure 58?

its a matter of how its played back ..a little vocal amp will only produce particular sound this is because its optimized for vocals ...hence why they all sound the same ...try the same test with headphones or a PA speaker then make a educated assessment...use the vocal amp as the control and then use the phones and other speakers

User Info Menu

The Shure SM 58 is pretty much THE standard on a lot of stages around the world. As such, every other microphone manufacturer has copied it. The results are somewhat mixed. If you was the SM 58 sound, I' buy a SM 58.

I've used a lot of vocal mics over the years. I went through my AKG and Sennheiser phases, I ended up coming back to Shure. The biggest (and best) change that I made (in my opinion) was to step up to the Beta 58 microphones for vocals. My sweetheart commented that "something really good" changed in our sound when we switched to the Betas. Two of the three bands that I'm in use Beta series, on uses SMs.

The other thing that helps in my opinion when a band has multiple singers is for them to be using the same mics. At one point I was in a band where we all supplied our own vocal mics and the results and sound were all over the map. No matter what brand you like and use I suggest that all of the singers use the same make and model if you can.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

I'm guessing that the name brand microphone cartridge design was copied and is manufactured into many inexpensive microphones now.

I use inexpensive microphones now because somebody stole my name brand microphone. I was playing a gig, took a break and when I returned my mic was gone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I'm guessing that the name brand microphone cartridge design was copied and is manufactured into many inexpensive microphones now.

I use inexpensive microphones now because somebody stole my name brand microphone. I was playing a gig, took a break and when I returned my mic was gone.
    Man I feel so sorry for you man.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

That sucks. I'm sorry to hear that.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

I was playing a gig, took a break and when I returned my mic was gone.
    Tough crowd that night, huh? Sheeesh.

I could see leaving them over night and have that happen. But just taking a break? Someone grew a set in a very short time to be that bold.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Whaaat? Man that sucks! Sorry to hear about that.