Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody with a stent?

User Info Menu

Default Anybody with a stent?

I'm having a stent "installed" next Tuesday.

I know the procedure, but, I was wondering if anyone here has 1.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anybody with a stent?

Rick, I've never had one "installed," but I know quite a few people that have, and they are doing quite well. If it can be done, it's a whole lot better than a bypass surgery. With a stent, you don't get your chest opened. That alone makes it sound like a better deal to me.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I had a triple bypass 5 years ago last week, and I also know a couple of people who have had stents. They no longer get angina pains, and generally people don't need to get them done again.
    Certainly less hassle that the surgery!
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Everyone I have known get one has had nothing but great things to say. They typically feel better all around, even though they didn't know they weren't feeling great to begin with. It's such a gradual change that it becomes their baseline for feeling OK. Of course, most people I know have had them done as an emergency procedure after chest pains. One friend in his early 50's, athletic, former NCAA baseball star, had 99% blockage and didn't know it! If your doc thinks it's a good idea, I don't really see a downside. It's really an unheralded modern miracle of medicine that has become commonplace. My best to you on having this procedure.

User Info Menu

I remember reading that losing 20 pounds has about the same effect as having a stent implanted. Are you sure that you can't lose weight?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Everyone I have known get one has had nothing but great things to say. They typically feel better all around, even though they didn't know they weren't feeling great to begin with. It's such a gradual change that it becomes their baseline for feeling OK. Of course, most people I know have had them done as an emergency procedure after chest pains. One friend in his early 50's, athletic, former NCAA baseball star, had 99% blockage and didn't know it! If your doc thinks it's a good idea, I don't really see a downside. It's really an unheralded modern miracle of medicine that has become commonplace. My best to you on having this procedure.
    Thanks xsabers. Mine is close to completely blocked.

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    I remember reading that losing 20 pounds has about the same effect as having a stent implanted. Are you sure that you can't lose weight?

8beat, My normal weight for most of my life (17-63-64) was between 165&170. I'm down to 157. Don't want to go 20 lbs under that.

User Info Menu

I have heard of a few people that has had this done and never
    heard anything bad coming from it but maybe some funky dry jello
    they had the next day.

I'd say them doctors have a few things down they could almost
    do with their eyes closed and I bet these stents are one of them.

Drumchat has your back, you'll be fine!
    Last edited by Ray on the Drums; 04-06-2014 at 08:44 PM.

User Info Menu

It depends on why you are having the stent put in. Do you have partial blockage of an artery? Significant blockage? More than one artery? More than two? Did you have a heart attack or just chest pains? If you had a Heart attack, did you call an ambulance or act like a foolish 16 year old and go into denial (not just a river in Egypt anymore). If you went immediately to the ER in an ambulance or, like an idiot, drive yourself? (The last two of which I have personal experience). Your answers will determine how much heart damage you will/have had. My first stent was in '98 and I had considerable heart damage and in the hospital for two weeks because I was a pompous fool. My second stent was in '07 at which time I was already in the hospital and caught immediately and there was no heart damage and I was out in 36 hrs.

Also, the technology is very much better than it used to be.

What ever happens, take care of yourself. This alone shouldn't preclude you from drumming.

Good Luck!

User Info Menu

Good luck and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You are a great drummer and like watching your videos.

Keep drumming

Gregg

User Info Menu

Your a tuff old bird so we know all will go good. We will be rooting for ya Rick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    I have heard of a few people that has had this done and never
    heard anything bad coming from it but maybe some funky dry jello
    they next day.

I'd say them doctors have a few things down they could almost
    do with their eyes closed and I bet these stents are one of them.

Drumchat has your back, you'll be fine!

Thanks Ray, I really appreciate that.

User Info Menu

i dont know much about them , but just wanted to wish you all the luck that i can . get better quick bud . keep us posted.
    Tamaholic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I'm having a stent "installed" next Tuesday.

I know the procedure, but, I was wondering if anyone here has 1.
    Everyone in my family has had the procedure including me, it's not bad at all.

And I felt a LOT better afterward. I was 43 by the way.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
    It depends on why you are having the stent put in. Do you have partial blockage of an artery? Significant blockage? More than one artery? More than two? Did you have a heart attack or just chest pains? If you had a Heart attack, did you call an ambulance or act like a foolish 16 year old and go into denial (not just a river in Egypt anymore). If you went immediately to the ER in an ambulance or, like an idiot, drive yourself? (The last two of which I have personal experience). Your answers will determine how much heart damage you will/have had. My first stent was in '98 and I had considerable heart damage and in the hospital for two weeks because I was a pompous fool. My second stent was in '07 at which time I was already in the hospital and caught immediately and there was no heart damage and I was out in 36 hrs.

Also, the technology is very much better than it used to be.

What ever happens, take care of yourself. This alone shouldn't preclude you from drumming.

Good Luck!

I had a mini stroke in 2008. They sent me for a angiogram and found a blockage that, at the time, could be treated with meds.

A few weeks ago, I had a feeling that things "weren't quite right", so went for a stress test and echo cardiogram. The blockage is worse, so instead of waiting for the heart attack, they are sending me to the VA hospital in Ashville, NC, where these procedures are done.

My heart is fine (at least that's what they tell me) but, I felt more tired lately, and during the stress test, I got out of breath which I didn't the last time I had 1.

This is more a "preemptive strike". Better than sitting around and waiting for my heart to attack me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by atomcorr2 View Post
    i dont know much about them , but just wanted to wish you all the luck that i can . get better quick bud . keep us posted.

Thanks AC2, that means a lot to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    Everyone in my family has had the procedure including me, it's not bad at all.

And I felt a LOT better afterward. I was 43 by the way.

43, WOW, that is (was) young.

I'm 67 and hoping that I feel like 43 when this is over with.

User Info Menu

Haven't had the stent but have been to the hospital numerous times thinking I'm having a heart attack. It was due to stress combined with a hiatal hernia I've had for a long time that mimics heart attacks at times. While I've been lucky, I get so many chest pains that I'm scared I won't know which ones are the bad ones when it happens. People say, "you'll know" but I'm not so sure. I've had a lot of false alarms.

Rick, I can't think of anything better than a proactive treatment as opposed to a reactive one. Sounds like it might be good advice from your doctor, especially considering the history you mentioned as well as your age.

These things can be scary but with the replies in here, hopefully it's put your mind at ease a bit. Good luck buddy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy60 View Post
    Good luck and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You are a great drummer and like watching your videos.

Keep drumming

Gregg

Thanks Gregg.

User Info Menu

I know nothing about this procedue. Just wanted to say I'll be thinking/praying for you bud.

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by not him View Post
    Your a tuff old bird so we know all will go good. We will be rooting for ya Rick

Thanks not him, my old friend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I know nothing about this procedue. Just wanted to say I'll be thinking/praying for you bud.

Tex

Your prayers are much appreciated Tex.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Haven't had the stent but have been to the hospital numerous times thinking I'm having a heart attack. It was due to stress combined with a hiatal hernia I've had for a long time that mimics heart attacks at times. While I've been lucky, I get so many chest pains that I'm scared I won't know which ones are the bad ones when it happens. People say, "you'll know" but I'm not so sure. I've had a lot of false alarms.

Rick, I can't think of anything better than a proactive treatment as opposed to a reactive one. Sounds like it might be good advice from your doctor, especially considering the history you mentioned as well as your age.

These things can be scary but with the replies in here, hopefully it's put your mind at ease a bit. Good luck buddy!

Thanks Tom. I'm not scared, a little anxious is more like it.

When they said they were going to do it, I was like, "OK, can we do it tomorrow", and they said that they don't do it at the VA hospital that I normally go to, so I had to wait till the VA in Ashville called me and set it up. We are going to spend a week in Ashville being as I have to be by the hospital for 3 days and can't drive. The procedure will be done on the 15th, a overnight stay at the hospital, then I can spend 2 days at the hotel and drive home on the 19th.

User Info Menu

Wishing you the best, Rick. I've had my throat cut by pros and survived. I'm here to tell you.

You'll be back before you know it. You'll have so much energy you might even think of finally tuning your drums before the next video. BAM!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I am sure you will be fine. Please keep us updated as we are all concerned.

User Info Menu

A friend of mine had the same procedure a couple of years ago. He was 55 at the time. When he came home from hospital he recouperated for a week or so and was back to normal in no time and it hasn't affected him at all.
    In the US you have some of the best medical facilities in the world and I'm sure you'll be back to normal in no time.
    I look forward to your future posts - I intend to swipe a couple of your fills, or at least a few sections of them but I'm going to need a LOT of practice before I attempt it. First I have to figure out how to slow down your vids as I have difficulty watching and listening at that speed.

Crispy