Thread: New drummer, need advice

User Info Menu

Post New drummer, need advice

Hey guys and gals, my names Matt and I'm new to the drumming world.

I've always liked percussion and instruments of the sort but never had enough money to afford a real drum set up until now, and now that I've decided to get into it i realize its allot more complicated than i thought so here some questions i have...

-What are some good quality brands, right now at my local store they 2 5-piece sets that come with symbols and hardware for about $650, one is a gretcsh set and the other is pdp i believe, both maple and same size drums. Which brand is better though?

-also What are some good woods, I've seen allot of different woods but not sure if its better to use a lighter wood or heavy wood. And what about Clear plastic drums, i think they look neat but how is the sound quality?

-and my last question is electric vs. acoustic, I like them both they both sound cool but electric seems like you can do some really fun stuff(kind of a electronic kind of guy) but on the other hand acoustic is traditional and easier, so for a brand new drummer which would be better for learning?

Thanks for all the help

User Info Menu

Default Re: New drummer, need advice

Hey Matt, I'm sorry that this seems to have been posted here for so long without a response!

You're asking questions that really have no answer, since it's all based in opinion. Most drummers try out a bunch of different stuff, and over time start to like certain brands or types of wood better. So, I'm going to do my best to answer your questions factually, even though it's all completely subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by horganmatthew36 View Post
    -What are some good quality brands, right now at my local store they 2 5-piece sets that come with symbols and hardware for about $650, one is a gretcsh set and the other is pdp i believe, both maple and same size drums. Which brand is better though?
    Neither brand is better! PDP (Which is a subsidiary of DW) and Gretsch both make excellent drums. Get whichever one you can afford and think is cooler. Won't matter in the long run, because as everyone on DrumChat can attest, if you get hooked on drumming you eventually buy it all anyways.

-also What are some good woods, I've seen allot of different woods but not sure if its better to use a lighter wood or heavy wood. And what about Clear plastic drums, i think they look neat but how is the sound quality?
    Most drums tend to be made from maple or birch, although you will also find drums made from all sorts of crazy things - bubinga, fiberglass, melted down cymbals (it's happened), concrete, wood that was sunk underwater for 100 years (also happened), so at the end of the day it's all about whether or not you like the way it sounds! Arguably, maple is more rounded and versatile, birch tends to be more of a rock and roll kind of sound. Again, everything I just said is subjective and debatable.

Regarding the fiberglass (clear plastic) drums that you asked about, they do sound and look cool, but they're not very common because they're expensive and fragile. If you end up buying fiberglass drums, make sure to also buy a case for each drum otherwise you'll drop one and crack it when you take the drums over to your buddy's house and get pretty mad about it.

-and my last question is electric vs. acoustic, I like them both they both sound cool but electric seems like you can do some really fun stuff(kind of a electronic kind of guy) but on the other hand acoustic is traditional and easier, so for a brand new drummer which would be better for learning?
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say you should buy an acoustic kit to learn on. In my personal opinion, most entry-level electronic kits have pads made of hard plastic and they don't feel like normal drums, so learning technique and dynamics on one is a little different from learning on a traditional acoustic kit. The high end electronic kits have mesh heads that feel like drums and metal cymbal pads that feel like cymbals, so I think learning on that kind of electronic kit would be fine, but that's thousands of dollars to buy.

Welcome to Drumchat, and have fun learning! When you make a decision about what to buy make sure you post a picture for us.
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

+1 with everything dt344 says.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

dt344 has it pretty much covered. Nice post!

User Info Menu

dt344 has it covered. Welcome to DC and have fun, man.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Another common approach as well is this. What does your personal drumming hero play? Buy that!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Acoustic all the way if you want to adventure into a electronic sound later when you develop good fundamentals you could buy triggers, octopad type device or even add electric drums to your acoustic kit a lot of famous drummers do that to get that added electronic texture. But the information on that stuff is out there and i would say as far as the two kits you are looking at the added cymbals is a waste you would be better off buying those separate.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I might have missed it, but the one thing I think I don't see here is buy used!!

I bought my first kit brand new and ended up hating it about six months later. I was able to sell it on CL, but of course it was for a loss.

Cymbals that come with kits are usually junk. If you can buy a shell pack and some hardware or a kit minus the cymbals. Those you can find on CL, too. I score my Zildjian A's there.

The e-kit vs. a-kit question is one I am wrestling with myself. I think I am going to have to go e-kit when I finally get a chance to replace my drums, it will be an e-kit, but ONLY because of space restraints and noise. I have four children from 10 years to 4, and someone is always napping, doing homework...

Of course, you probably have bought something already - and we would love to see some pics!
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
    I might have missed it, but the one thing I think I don't see here is buy used!!

I bought my first kit brand new and ended up hating it about six months later. I was able to sell it on CL, but of course it was for a loss.

Cymbals that come with kits are usually junk. If you can buy a shell pack and some hardware or a kit minus the cymbals. Those you can find on CL, too. I score my Zildjian A's there.

The e-kit vs. a-kit question is one I am wrestling with myself. I think I am going to have to go e-kit when I finally get a chance to replace my drums, it will be an e-kit, but ONLY because of space restraints and noise. I have four children from 10 years to 4, and someone is always napping, doing homework...

Of course, you probably have bought something already - and we would love to see some pics!
    Yes i forgot to mention that probably should be the number one rule for beginners BUY NEW unless you have endless amount of money...
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    Yes i forgot to mention that probably should be the number one rule for beginners BUY NEW unless you have endless amount of money...
    I think you meant DON'T buy new...right? Probably really good advice, even if I didn't follow it myself!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post

Well look who got her schooling on and is now a local expert! Good information, Erin!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

My two cents.... Go electric unless you have a place to play that is free from angry neighbors or such. Sure with the e-drums you won't quite get that authentic feel of acoustic drums but none of that will really matter in the beginning and you will be able to practice a whole lot more without feeling you're torturing your local neighborhood or loved ones. Acoustic drums are loud and acoustic drums played poorly are annoying. Go 'e', you won't regret it, and as someone posted earlier, if you get hooked, you buy it all anyway. I have both and prefer to play my acoustic kit when I can, but that is rare due to the restraints of when I can play (ie, child/wife sleeping, etc). Look for a good used Roland kit or used Yamaha kit and bang away. It's very cathartic!!!

User Info Menu

Acoustic are the way to go but if noise and neighbors are an issue then e-drums are good. I have both right now getting into properly setting up pads and cymbals on the e-Drums, which is not an easy process, at least i find.

I have both acoustic and e-drums so lucky that way i guess, for now e-drums will get more play time due to loud issues in home and neighbors lol