Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best China to go with my cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best China to go with my cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by MatrixClaw View Post
    The thing with china cymbals is that you can't really listen to them on a recording and make an educated decision. They are far and among the hardest cymbals to judge based on a recording, because they track VERY well. If you're just looking for a good china for recordings, then mostly anything will do - for some reason, overhead mics love them... if you're looking for something that's going to sound great in the room, good luck. You're likely going to have to try a ton before you find the right one.
    I would agree with this. I have picked one china from a recording and it worked for what I needed it for at the time, but that was a very clear close-up recording. A lot of recordings of chinas either don't sound good, or all sound the same. Meanwhile I went down to a local drum shop, and as soon as I hit the china I have now, I knew that was what I was getting. There are very few recordings I would trust for picking cymbals online (chinas especially) so be careful...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    I'll second this, especially if you are wanting something sort of trashy. I've had a couple of Wuhans (I think I had something like a 16" and a 10", but memory is fuzzy). I got rid of them because I simply didn't need them. I did have a 22" Zildjian china boy high. It was ok, but it was a little "much." I bought it for $100, played it for 5 years, then I sold it on eBay for $120.

If you get a Wuhan, go ahead and pick up one of those cymbal springs. It'll help the china to keep from cracking, and a normal wing-nut will not fit down into the "cup" of a Wuhan b/c it's so deep, so get a cymbal spring. Also, Wuhan chinas are CONSIDERABLY cheaper than the other alternatives mentioned, as in you can get one between $40-$50 easy.

Best of luck!

Edit: This is a pretty accurate sound clip of what my china sounded like (through my headphones anyway):

Man that sounds awesome. Quick and dirty.

User Info Menu

Older thread, I know, but just wanted to say that I finally decided on a 19" K Custom Hybrid China.

In case anyone cares

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    Older thread, I know, but just wanted to say that I finally decided on a 19" K Custom Hybrid China.

In case anyone cares

Nice! How do you like it?

I finally found a china I REALLY like - the Paiste 2000 Sound Reflections Mellow China. It's crazy how low volume this cymbal is - my larger crashes can actually drown it out, so it doesn't work so well with my Giant Beat setup, but it works really well with my darker Sabians and Zildjians, because its brighter tone allows it to cut through them easily, while being far more controlled than any other china I've ever owned :D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post

In case anyone cares

Do you like it?

Let's see some pics/vids!

User Info Menu

Will provide some pictures/feedback when it arrives...just placed on order!
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Olimpass that china sounds awesome
    Conrad

User Info Menu

I like my old china boy, but also my AAX china. Go hit some at the drum store if you can
    So whats so wrong with laughing. Some need to learn to laugh

User Info Menu

I'm a Zildjain guy all the way but I've never heard a Zildjian china that I liked. I recommend looking into the Istanbul XIST Ion China's. I recently picked up a 18" and it sounds amazing. Only $125.00 I also have 2 - 18" Wuhan's I really like, Those were only $50.00 each.

User Info Menu

I like my 17" Chad Smith sabian Holy China ........ Loud and Nasty!

User Info Menu

Hey all,

JUST got the new china. Only a few minutes of playing with it, and I'm happy. To review, I got the 19" Zildjian K Hybrid China. Loud, and impressive. I've tried both right side up and upside down, and upside down, is, I think, best. I really like the tone when I play with with Tala Wand Bamboos sticks, a more subtle sound, but a monster gong when I zap it with 2B oak sticks. Fits nicely, geographically, between my ride and my 18" crash.

Pictures and sound to come...

User Info Menu

That Istanbul is a real stunner. I like the triangular design on it, really gives it some individuality from the rest.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments