Thread: Need Advice! Mapex Maple Meridian vs Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

User Info Menu

Talking Need Advice! Mapex Maple Meridian vs Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

Hi all! Im looking for a new drumkit, and my choice is down to these two. They are both in the same price range, and I can't test the kits, as there are no stores near me. Which one would be the best purchase?

Thanks in advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need Advice! Mapex Maple Meridian vs Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

Quote Originally Posted by Walizzay View Post
    Hi all! Im looking for a new drumkit, and my choice is down to these two. They are both in the same price range, and I can't test the kits, as there are no stores near me. Which one would be the best purchase?

Thanks in advance!
    Meridian Maple in my honest opinion is a higher quality kit.

But they are different in sound.

The Birch is going to have more punch and focus

The Maple is going to be warmer and more resonant

Both are very nice kits so either way you can't go wrong, but I like the Mapex better.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Just make sure the Yamaha is a 100% Birch if you go that way, there are quite a few that are falkata, mahogany mixtures that sound completely different from birch.

You should go on youtube and listen to some Birch kits and then some Maple kits and decide on what sound you like more. There are even a few videos that have side by side comparisons. Both kits are very nice hardware and quality wise so it's really just a matter of sound preference.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

IMO, the meridian is a better sounding kit with more interesting finish options. The all birch stage customs aren't bad, but I like the meridian better.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I had a Tour Custom (same as Stage Custom but Maple) for a year and I've had my current Meridian Maple for about 7 months.

From my perspective, the Meridian Maple is a better kit. The hardware is higher quality (but still light), and I found I get a much better tone out of the Meridians than I did the TC's, even with the same heads.

Keep in mind Meridians are discontinued, so add-ons will be tough. The flip side is they can be on sale. I know of one online vendor where you might be able to get a deal if you PM me.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Need Advice! Mapex Maple Meridian vs Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

Thanks for the input everyone! I've opted for the Meridian Maple, from what I've heard on youtube videos they sound better than the birch SC's.

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Need Advice! Mapex Maple Meridian vs Yamaha Stage Custom Birch

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I had a Tour Custom (same as Stage Custom but Maple) for a year and I've had my current Meridian Maple for about 7 months.

From my perspective, the Meridian Maple is a better kit. The hardware is higher quality (but still light), and I found I get a much better tone out of the Meridians than I did the TC's, even with the same heads.

Keep in mind Meridians are discontinued, so add-ons will be tough. The flip side is they can be on sale. I know of one online vendor where you might be able to get a deal if you PM me.
    Hey man! Thanks for your help, it seems I dont have enough posts made to PM you though, is there any other way I can reach you? Or maybe can you PM me instead? Thanks!