Thread: New Bass Mic Incoming

User Info Menu

Default New Bass Mic Incoming

So, I've been wanting to upgrade my bass mic for quite awhile now (I'm currently using a CAD KM212). I have considered all of the usual suspects, but without being able to hear the different mics, I just seem to be going around and around. I talked to a guy that owns a studio, and his recommendation was a Shure Beta 52A, without any hesitation. Well, the other day, I found a great deal on a new Audix D6 ($129). I couldn't resist when I knew that I could return it if I didn't like it.

So, while I'm waiting for the D6 (should be here Monday), please give me some feedback on this mic. I would trust your thoughts more than the online reviews. Thanks guys.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Bass Mic Incoming

The D6, along with the Beta 52 and the AKG D112 are becoming the industry standard mics and the majority of studios will have these before getting others.

I don't own any mics but work with a couple a sound men who do. One of which always uses the Audix range on drums and with good effect. The lead singer of my band has a full set of mics too but he currently uses the D112. I doubt you'll be disappointed; the D6 is an upgrade from the CAD you currently have.
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

I'm a Shure guy through and through. I've tried other mics but seem to always come back to Shure.

I went out on a limb a couple of years ago when I got back into gigging and bought an entire collection of Heil microphones. They look and sound great but I find they have a lot of outer case sensitivity. Meaning you hear everything through the mic when you are holding it or shuffling it around.

I think I translate that into unwanted noises like stage movement or other sound that could be picked up by the microphone that are unwanted.

My real test of any microphone now days besides the performance specs it that sensitivity factor. If the case can't be better isolated, you are just asking for other problems a sound person will have to adjust for.

No surprises, please.

PB, as far as your microphone, I've had very little experience with them on stage so I hope it works out. Don't let the price of the Shure scare you away, though.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatDrummer View Post
    The D6, along with the Beta 52 and the AKG D112 are becoming the industry standard mics and the majority of studios will have these before getting others.
    Those are the big three. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them. I have a D6 and have been happy with it. I haven't gotten to use it much, but I've noticed that it's very easy to get a good sound out of it.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

i used a beta52 for a few years at home and before that i used the AKG (egg mic) when i did live sound in the 90's but im now at home im using the d6, its compact and punchy ..i find the beta 52 requires a little eqing but the d6 is nice when left flat

im using one with a shure 91a and they really compliment each other

i think you will find a big bottom end you didnt have before when you change to the new mic ...

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, that's making me feel a little better. I found out that it's already in town, so it will be delivered on Monday.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Late to the party as usual. I own a D6 and recorded with one. I also have used a Beta 52 as well in recordings and by comparing the two mics, I found that the Beta 52 has more bottom end than the D6 and here's why.

It looks as though the Audix engineers have 'notched' out the freq above 1k to 'enhance' that frequency for 'clarity' (circled in red). That simply means that Audix has given the mic more 'eq' at the factory which helps enhances more beater attack. The shaded graph line is what Audix considers where the 'normal' bass drum frequency 'lives'. You can see where Audix has set the 'notch'.

Audix D6

If you compare the red circled area between both mics (1k-10k freq), you'll notice that the D6 has a wider spread between 1K-10K compared to the Beta 52. That's where I hear the big difference between both mics. The D6 seems less 'boomy' compared to the Beta 52 and most metal drummers seem to prefer it due to this enhanced frequency response.

Beta 52

Last edited by late8; 04-15-2014 at 03:53 PM.