Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: counterweights

User Info Menu

Default Re: counterweights

I always use a boom with a counterweight for my ride. I have a Paiste 3000 rude power ride that is about the same weight as a manhole cover up in the air. I have 13 & 14 toms on my bass drum and put the ride above the 14 like Nicko Mcbrain has with Iron Maiden. Without the weight I've had it tip over.

User Info Menu

2 lb. ankle/wrist weights:
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Just checked the Tama site. Did not see the tilt series, but, there is a counter-weighted Roadpro boom stand that looks really beefy.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Hey that sounds like a great idea for a counterweight for my mic boom....got a heavy mic, and it needs something on it, other than my winter jacket!
    Thanks!
    Russ-
    I know our references here to microphone stands if off topic, but i thought I'd offer you the solution I finally found for the drummer's vocal mic issue. I got tired of dodging falling mic booms, and having to duct tape my mic boom stands to the stage, so I modified an old Gibraltar speaker stand with the same legs as their eliptical-legged cymbal stands. I installed a short boom to the top of the speaker stand, then added another short boom to the end of the first boom. With the stand extended about six feet tall, the first boom functioned as usual and extended out over my head, but the second boom was used to drop the mic down to head level. This worked out great - up, over, down, right in front of my face. When not needed the mic could be easily moved to the side.

There was one big problem, though: the space taken up by the speaker stand legs. I have now solved this problem and have probably the last mic boom stand i will ever need. The solution: the Atlas MS25 mic stand. This stand has a relatively small triangular base, but the base is very heavy. Even with a microphone and the two short booms attached to it, this stand simply will not tilt - no matter what.

I don't have a pic of this contraption, as it is currently in the band van, but here's the MS25. Just imagine a horizontal short boom on it with another short boom heading down on the end of the first (where the mic would normally be attached). I'll get pics when I can.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

About a year and a half ago............I bought a TAMA Road Pro cymbal boom stand with a counter weight.
    I use it to hold my 22" heavy ride over my bass drum in the conventional position.............works very well.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Russ-
    I know our references here to microphone stands if off topic, but i thought I'd offer you the solution I finally found for the drummer's vocal mic issue. I got tired of dodging falling mic booms, and having to duct tape my mic boom stands to the stage, so I modified an old Gibraltar speaker stand with the same legs as their eliptical-legged cymbal stands. I installed a short boom to the top of the speaker stand, then added another short boom to the end of the first boom. With the stand extended about six feet tall, the first boom functioned as usual and extended out over my head, but the second boom was used to drop the mic down to head level. This worked out great - up, over, down, right in front of my face. When not needed the mic could be easily moved to the side.

There was one big problem, though: the space taken up by the speaker stand legs. I have now solved this problem and have probably the last mic boom stand i will ever need. The solution: the Atlas MS25 mic stand. This stand has a relatively small triangular base, but the base is very heavy. Even with a microphone and the two short booms attached to it, this stand simply will not tilt - no matter what.

I don't have a pic of this contraption, as it is currently in the band van, but here's the MS25. Just imagine a horizontal short boom on it with another short boom heading down on the end of the first (where the mic would normally be attached). I'll get pics when I can.

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks GD! I'm looking forward to seeing your modification type stand....i had seen that Atlas stand, which would be a really good solution, but it costs $275 in Canada.....maybe I'll just make a sandbag!

User Info Menu

I assume you set your drums up on carpet, just put velcro on the feet of your stand similar to your kick pedal

User Info Menu

I haven't had a weighted stand since the 80s. I had big bulky weighted stands back in the day to counter act the weight of a ride cymbal. But really as long as the stand is a good solid double braced stand it's good to go. Doesn't need the counter weight.

User Info Menu

What do you use on an outdoor stage in a 28 knot wind?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    My rack......

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post

all the best...
    I've played on some windy outdoor stages and with my ride up in the air. 22in.rides act like sails Luckily had some eye hooks and screwed them into the stage and tied the stand to the floor.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by killdrum View Post
    I've played on some windy outdoor stages and with my ride up in the air. 22in.rides act like sails Luckily had some eye hooks and screwed them into the stage and tied the stand to the floor.
    hmm...thanks for the tip

all the best...