Thread: some drum mic questions

User Info Menu

Default some drum mic questions

I am in the market for some. So, I have a few questions. I have been starting on ebay and came across a few that seem to be good deals but I wasn't familiar with the brand (it was a company called Nash). Previously, I would generally only mic the bass and snare (played bars and VFW-type halls). Moving along....

1. What is your preferred brand?

2. Do you mic the entire kit?

3. When you mic, do you run your mics to your your own mixer, then run that to the main board?

4. Do you have a preferred brand of mic cables?

I will have another round of questions eventually. But right now these are the big questions. Thanks guys.

TDP

User Info Menu

Default Re: some drum mic questions

I let the soundman worry about the mics. He'll have his own.

User Info Menu

We don't have a soundman. We Will probably hire one in the future. But right now it is just us. Plus, I like owning my own stuff.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkPrince View Post
    We don't have a soundman. We Will probably hire one in the future. But right now it is just us. Plus, I like owning my own stuff.
    I'm like you. No sound engineer and I like owning my own.

I generally use Shure 57's for the toms, snare and hats. I use a Beta 52 for the kick and some Nady condensers (since both my Mackie and Yamaha boards support condenser microphones) for overheads.

SM58 for vocals.

I don't put a lot of money into the cables but I use decent XLR cables for all microphones.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I forgot to add. Whether or not I use my own board depends on what band and what equipment is being supplied. If the main board has enough channels, I opt for that. If not, then I'm ready to insert my board into the mix as needed.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bish View Post
    i'm like you. No sound engineer and i like owning my own.
    Shure 57's for the toms, snare and hats
    beta 52 for the kick
    sm58 for vocals.
    I don't put a lot of money into the cables but i use decent xlr cables for all microphones.

^^^this^^^
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

in most cases a kick mic is all you need in a bar ..unless you play in a huge venue and everything else amps etc are micd dont waste money on mics you dont need

dont buy a second mixer just to run to another mixer its a waste

User Info Menu

I personally have not bought any mice or sound stuff yet but plan on it. I am looking at all carvin audio equipment. The mic's seem to cost less than others of equal quality but that is also just carvin themselves.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I have Audix D2 mics on my toms, D4 on the floor tom, sm57 on snare and either. Audix D6 or Beta 52 on the kick. I have a pair of stwrling st55 that i use for overheads. They can be gound under 100 each and spund decent, mine have some better caps installed and sound very nice.

I picked up almost all of them in pawn shops and have save hundreds of dollars.

There are many nice mics out there, my 2cents worth is this, buy pro level from the begining and you will be done.

I started with a cheap set of mics and replaced them all.

And yet with all this, 99% of the time, kick and snare is all I mic ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    in most cases a kick mic is all you need in a bar ..unless you play in a huge venue and everything else amps etc are micd dont waste money on mics you dont need

dont buy a second mixer just to run to another mixer its a waste
    And most places that are big enough to require full mikes you will hire a soundman who will have his own mics.
    Ive seen guys who run a mixer for the drums then run a feed to the main board. 99% of the time the mix is terrible because what you are hearing from behind the kit is not what the FOH is hearing.
    Hire a good soundman and let him do his job.

User Info Menu

I use the Audix i5 mics - and mic each drum...and on the kick, I use 2 mics. An Audix i5 at the kickport and my DIY Sub-Kick mic on the opposite side of the reso head...that way I get a really strong and deep 100 hz down to 40 hz from the Sub-Kick mic and the Audix i5 picks up the attack of the beaters plus adds the lows,mids and highs. Audix F15 overhead mics (2). I always go to my Behringer X2442USB 12 channel board and send 2 outs to the main board ( one for the snare, toms, overheads and the kickport mic) and the second send from the Sub-Kick mic. Mic cables are the GC Live Wires with lifetime warranty...havent had a failure yet so no idea how good that warranty really is.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

I have 8 mics on my kit---kick, 3 toms, snare, 2 overheads, and a pencil mic on the hats (Samson 8-kit) I am running them through an ART MX821 line mixer (volume, tone, and phantom power switch for each channel) into my main board. With this setup I can use as many mics as needed to fit any situation---The only time I use them all is for recording---most of the time the kick and overheads are plenty

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    most of the time the kick and overheads are plenty

Where do you position the overheads? Do they pick up the snare?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkPrince View Post
    Where do you position the overheads? Do they pick up the snare?
    in a x/y pattern,over the ride and snare or one in the middle

User Info Menu

I use the spaced pair pattern, and it picks up everything pretty well, but since I have all the drums miked I can add more snare as needed and dial in the sound to any size venue

User Info Menu

i used to use the x/y pattern (coincident) when i primarily used a fixed stereo x/y condenser mic but now i use large diaphragm condensers i use the spaced method

User Info Menu

I really suggest picking up a copy of Modern Recording Techniques, you will not regret it
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I came across a good deal on some CAD DMYP's. Although I have only used them in the jam room, I am very pleased so far.

TDP

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Shure 57's for the toms, snare and hats. I use a Beta 52 for the kick. SM58 for vocals.
    +1
    Cant go wrong with these.

User Info Menu

You're kind of at the mercy of the venue's soundguy if you don't have your own gear/soundguy. If he isn't with your band, he's likely to give you the same generic mix he gives every other band that plays there. Learning how to set up audio equipment, whether it be live or in recording environments is a good skill to learn anyway if you want to be a more versatile, not to mention valuable asset to your band and any you join in the future.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by russ View Post
    you're kind of at the mercy of the venue's soundguy if you don't have your own gear/soundguy. If he isn't with your band, he's likely to give you the same generic mix he gives every other band that plays there. Learning how to set up audio equipment, whether it be live or in recording environments is a good skill to learn anyway if you want to be a more versatile, not to mention valuable asset to your band and any you join in the future.
    +1

User Info Menu

I like 57's for the rack toms and sennhiser 421's for the floor toms. My proffered bass drum mic is a d6. The beta 52 is good for live, but I don't care for it on recordings. I like a sm81 on the hats, and they work well for overheads as well. I prefer AKG large diaphragm condensers for the overheads. For the snare, my favorite combo was a 441 on the bottom, with a 57 taped to a 81 on the top. I will state that this was not my gear. I was able to record at a high end studio that had a mic locker that would make any sound guy drool, and it all went into a ssl4040 board. We also used a homemade sub kick, a Royer for the mid field, and 2 Neumann m41's in an xy to pick up the room.

Crazy expensive stuff, but it sounded great.

User Info Menu

talk about bringing out the dead

how old is this thread? im using stock images