Thread: Recommend a Bebop set under $700

User Info Menu

Default Recommend a Bebop set under $700

Hi all. I play mostly RR 60.s-80's in small to med. lounges. I'd like to get a get a small kit, 14x18, (possibly 14x20) 12 and 14 toms. My limit is $700. Can someone who is familiar with these sets recommend a quality set in this price range? Your help is very much appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recommend a Bebop set under $700

Quote Originally Posted by alba359 View Post
    Hi all. I play mostly RR 60.s-80's in small to med. lounges. I'd like to get a get a small kit, 14x18, (possibly 14x20) 12 and 14 toms. My limit is $700. Can someone who is familiar with these sets recommend a quality set in this price range? Your help is very much appreciated.
    I'm afraid I don't know US Prices but some kits that are little bop kits are Ludwig Break Beats, Sonor Safari, and I believe Yamaha has a a few bop kits..
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

TAMA Silverstar series. Two finishes available. Wrap or Lacquer. Both under $700.

12" mounted tom, 14" floor tom, 14" matching snare, 18" bass drum with built in riser and used to mount the kick pedal to.

Birch wood.

Here's mine.

Last edited by Bish; 04-23-2014 at 06:55 PM.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Thanks Bish, Does only having 6 lugs on the floor tom present any tuning problems? Thanks again

User Info Menu

Not that I noticed. They tune up very easily and I am using the factory heads.

Ducking...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have the exact same kit as Bish but with the Vintage Burgundy sparkle wrap. It's an amazing kit. Even for the money they are very dynamic and have a undeniable tone. Silverstars are made with the same molding techniques as the Starclassic series. I have a Starclassic all bubinga kit and this Silverstar kit and the sound of the Silverstars will rival any kit on the market. I just can't say enough good things about the Silverstars. They've now been on the market for a couple years and have had time to really establish themselves. Check em out man, I paid like $500 for mine.
    *2006 Tama Starclassic Bubinga 8-10-12-14-16-20bd
    *2012 Tama Silverstar Jazz 12-14-18bd
    *Tama Starclassic B/B 14"x6"
    *Pearl Sensitone Elite seamless Aluminum 14"x5"
    *Zildjian A Customs and K Customs
    *DW5000 Pedal+Pearl Eliminator Hihat Stand

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alba359 View Post
    Thanks Bish, Does only having 6 lugs on the floor tom present any tuning problems? Thanks again
    6 lugs on a 14" tom is perfectly acceptable.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Sonor has a bop kit with an 18" bass drum. But they also came out with a similar 'Players' kit that has a 20" bass drum.

So far, you can only get it at Sam Ash. But it will probably be available at other places too before to long.

I went with a Yamaha Stage Custom Birch bop kit, but there are some things I like better about the Tama.
    Last edited by mildbill; 04-23-2014 at 09:42 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Not that I noticed. They tune up very easily and I am using the factory heads.

Ducking...
    Hey Bish, I have some great suggestions on replacement heads for your Silverstar kit when you decide to replace the factory heads. I replaced the reso heads with G1 clears and have tried quite a few batter heads on it. It's really accepted all the heads I've tried but there are a couple that really stick out and grabbed my attention. So far the best sounding batter heads have been clear G1's and clear G2's. Both have their advantages. Right this second I have some clear G1's on it and it's really sounding awesome. The set seems to respond a little better to clear heads over all though. Try it out if you want.

User Info Menu

Bish, nice looking drum kit.

User Info Menu

Premier started making bebop and other smaller kits in the APK line. I think that their all birch bop kit is tagged at $400, so it's less expensive than the Silverstars. However, I have not played or seen one in person so I can't speak to the quality of their kit. I have played a silverstar kit and thought it was a good buy at the price point. I probably liked it a little better than the Gretsch catalina bop kit.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all replies. Anyone tried the newer Ludwig Club Date? At my local drum shop I tried a New Ludwig Club Date, 20, 12, 14. Instant old school vibe. I'll do some research to see if there are any problems associated with thus series and if not I'll go for it. Thanks again, Don

User Info Menu

Around here, the Club Date is priced a little over your stated budget.
    A very nice kit though. You can probably find a used one for under 700.

User Info Menu

TAMA Silverstar series. Two finishes available. Wrap or Lacquer. Both under $700.

12" mounted tom, 14" floor tom, 14" matching snare, 18" bass drum with built in riser and used to mount the kick pedal to.

Birch wood.

Here's mine.
    Nice! I need one of those! Just don't tell the wife! Lol

I was away on business for a while and found a gretsch bop kit that was used at a local drum shop. $200!! Went to go buy it right before I left to come home and it had sold. I was crushed...
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    Nice! I need one of those! Just don't tell the wife! Lol

I was away on business for a while and found a gretsch bop kit that was used at a local drum shop. $200!! Went to go buy it right before I left to come home and it had sold. I was crushed...
    Oh man, Scott. You did just miss a great deal.

Want mine for a hundy more?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Oh man, Scott. You did just miss a great deal.

Want mine for a hundy more?
    Don't tempt me Mark!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Hi Guys, I sincerely thank you guys for the responses. I went out and tried several kits. For the style I play the "Ludwig Club Date" won hands down. I went over budget but I'm 60 yrs. old and this will probably be my last kit so I went for it. The band did a medium sized lounge last night with kick slightly miced and fell in love with the drums, so did my band mates. I'm divorcing my wife of 40 yrs and marrying the drums. I might as well because last night in bed my wife said"NO! Go #u*& your damned drums!

User Info Menu

lol, my wife says the same thing to me....

Congrats on the Club Date. What are the specs of the kit. Wood type, hoop type, sizes, and all the other goodies. I'm not really familiar with the Club Date specifically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jdizzle0209 View Post
    lol, my wife says the same thing to me....

Congrats on the Club Date. What are the specs of the kit. Wood type, hoop type, sizes, and all the other goodies. I'm not really familiar with the Club Date specifically.

I know that there are a few different configurations ranging from 18-22" kicks and the shells are a cherry/gumwood hybrid.
    Mmm... Saturns.