Thread: for a cymbal

User Info Menu

Default for a cymbal

what does dry and mean? and also does think make the cymbal higher pitched or lower pitched?

User Info Menu

Hhmm..that's a tough one. I think I know what it is, but to define it...

When I hear a cymbal described as dry, I think of it as having a cold, cripst, metalic sound.

To me though, these adjectives are a lot like the ones you hear to descibe wine: rich & robust with a hint of berries. Wha?

User Info Menu

i agree roaddebris.. i think its a markating tactic.. try and make it sound better then it is by using "brillient" and "exelant".. like what?????????? lol

User Info Menu

Yeah, I posted this somewhere a long time ago describing Paragons: pretentious and over priced, yet somehow gratifying.

User Info Menu

LOL good one road.. they there pretty rediculas

User Info Menu

Makes me think of that old commertial: "We serve no chime before it's time".

User Info Menu

ok whats wrong with paragons? they were accually cheaper than a cusoms when i bought mine. and if you buy the whole set for 2 grand you are getting a good deal. the ride cymbal is second to none in a live rock setting.

back on topic...the paragon is FAR from dry.

the term dry is to say that it does not have alot of resonance or overtones. and is usually pretty quiet and lower pitched. check the zildjian clips for the k light dry rides or k custom complex dry rides or the earth ride for an example of dry.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    Makes me think of that old commertial: "We serve no chime before it's time".
    i could see someone like peter erskine doing the re-creation of those old wine comercials.

User Info Menu

Cool

PETER ERSKINE drinkin the wine .or.playin a riff on the glass wif brushes??????
    Last edited by PHROGGE; 10-27-2007 at 04:42 AM.

User Info Menu

both. erskine is one of the only drummers suave enough to play the dude from the commercials.

has anyone accually tried to make music with brushes and wine classes?
    that would prolly be pretty cool. its proven they vibrate and resonate musically when those people run fingers across the rim and make notes. a good condenser mic would pick it up.

User Info Menu

When I think of the term dry I think of a cymbal that doesn't have a lot of overtones or wash. The cymbal has definition between the strikes and the sound doesn't build up as you play a repettitive pattern.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Terms like dry, mellow, washy, or "woody" generally mean the same thing, as Funky said, low overtones and resonance. Words like "brilliant" or "shimmery" aren't necessarily used as a marketing tactic. They usually mean that the cymbal has a longer sustain gradient or just more defined.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Terms like dry, mellow, washy, or "woody" generally mean the same thing, as Funky said, low overtones and resonance. Words like "brilliant" or "shimmery" aren't necessarily used as a marketing tactic. They usually mean that the cymbal has a longer sustain gradient or just more defined.
    I'm suprised noone has mentioned that dry usually means it has quick decay also.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kryshah View Post
    I'm suprised noone has mentioned that dry usually means it has quick decay also.
    The sustain gradient is also known as the cymbal's decay. Drumming has too big of a vocabulary sometimes lol
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy