Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: I see why alot of you don't care for drum racks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I see why alot of you don't care for drum racks!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    With that bass head, that set up actually does look like a car. Not just the graphic, but the way things are angled and position is a good rendition of a classic car's body. This looks like it took some careful planning, and a lot of thought went into it. I could see this setup receiving mass-praise if gigged with, even just a couple shows - bound to catch some attention. Great work as always, Rich!
    Thanks Russ. I appreciate your opinion and always welcome your thoughts. It means a lot.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Yep, I have lowered my crossbar as low as I can get it without the tom holder hitting the top of the bass drum:

But for the tom to stay the same distance off the ground, that vertical post would need to slide up in relation to the crossbar. The tom mount shouldn't be any closer to the bass drum than it is in that pic as just the cross bar would be lowered.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    But for the tom to stay the same distance off the ground, that vertical post would need to slide up in relation to the crossbar. The tom mount shouldn't be any closer to the bass drum than it is in that pic as just the cross bar would be lowered.
    Yes, I know where you're coming from. I kinda like the v-crossbar on the kit rather than the curved bar. What do you think?

User Info Menu

The racks I like seeing recently are the "stealth" or the low racks. They keep the top end cleaner looking to my eyes. I used to use a rack, but now I've gone back to using 2 stands. Everything memory locked. I can get unloaded and ready for micing in 15-20 minutes by myself if I had to. That being said, we rarely have to, what with early load in times and what not.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Has anyone used either the Gibraltar Super Spanner System or Stealth VMS?
    Both seem like nice halfway points between a full-on rack and stands.
    I have so many cymbals and percussion pieces that even with fitting as many things as I can onto each stand, there's a network of tubes and legs all over the place now. Both these solutions seem to be good solutions to remove at least some of this clutter.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, use of a drum rack is as much a personal issue as is the choice in the color of one's drums or the brand of one's cymbals.
    In some cases, it's an issue of practicality and ease/consistency of set-up.
    In other cases, it's an issue of aesthetics and/or personal expression of presentation.

User Info Menu

I like my rack. Really makes my kit more compact. A lot easier with it in my bedroom.
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

I know I've posted these elsewhere, but I've been gone for a while and this thread looked like it wanted them. This is my take on taking a dead spider rack all the way to the floor. I just disconnect the vertical pipes and I'm left with 2 "monorail" type pieces. Makes it really quick and easy. Still not done with it, but it's getting there.

Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    Facebook.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Instagram.com/PerryEarlDrums
    Twitter.com/PerryEarlDrums
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PerryGoRound View Post
    I know I've posted these elsewhere, but I've been gone for a while and this thread looked like it wanted them. This is my take on taking a dead spider rack all the way to the floor. I just disconnect the vertical pipes and I'm left with 2 "monorail" type pieces. Makes it really quick and easy. Still not done with it, but it's getting there.

Nice set up. Digging that.

User Info Menu

is that a homemade rack, if so could you describe how it was made
    thanks.
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

holy crap that spider rack is awesome!! Great idea!

I myself could never go without my rack on my big kit. I have to much **** for conventional stands. It's a 19 piece with 23 cymbals lol

Also have a 6 piece on a rack.

But my other 3 kits use standard stands. I like both routes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    holy crap that spider rack is awesome!! Great idea!

I myself could never go without my rack on my big kit. I have to much **** for conventional stands. It's a 19 piece with 23 cymbals lol

Also have a 6 piece on a rack.

But my other 3 kits use standard stands. I like both routes.

Do you have a list of all the drums and cymbals included in that massive kit? Pretty curious lol...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    Nice set up. Digging that.
    +1...........I'm not into racks very much............but I'd love to have that.

User Info Menu

Thanks, guys. When I built that one, I set up my stuff exactly how I wanted it with whatever stands I could find. Then proceeded to built the rack piece by piece, so that everything stayed the way it was.

I used 1 1/4" electrical conduit (EMT). It has the same outside diameter as all Gibraltar, PDP, etc racks, so all of my Gibraltar clamps fit it perfectly. I had to use an electric/hydraulic pipe bender from my shop to do the bends. Small pieces are too hard to bend with a handheld bender.

Here's I thread I started a long time ago when I was building my previous setup.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...6.html?t=22776
    Drummer for Almondy Brown and Redeemer Church of Lakeland | Session Artist | Private Instructor
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu

Great idea Perry! I figured you was an automotive
    exhaust guy or had a hook up with one. Good Job!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray on the Drums View Post
    Great idea Perry! I figured you was an automotive
    exhaust guy or had a hook up with one. Good Job!

haha... no. I'm a programmer for an engineering company that does controls and automation. We have a big electrical shop that the union guys work out of. They build the control panels and pipe them in at plants or wherever. They got all kinds of stuff. The best part was going to the shop at like 10:00 pm, when nobody was there, to do the work. Jamming out in the shop every time I got another piece in place, for as long as I wanted. (ended up staying till about 2:30 am) The part that sucked was the fact that it was a Wednesday and I had to be back there at 7:30 for work. Rock-n-Roll
    AlmondyBrown.com

User Info Menu