Thread: Got my first not family compliment

User Info Menu

Default Got my first not family compliment

Had my friend over today and he wanted to hear so i played. Little nervous so i just started playing. I personally thought it was bad but when i was done he told me i was really good and better than this other drummer in my school he was in a band with. Also he goes to a lot of the local shows and said i was better than most. Real confidence booster and kinda makes me want to do better and get better. Does this happen to anyone else when they get complimented?
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Got my first not family compliment

Those kinds of things keep ya going don't they. It's always nice to hear compliments from sincere friends.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HolyChina View Post
    Real confidence booster and kinda makes me want to do better and get better. Does this happen to anyone else when they get complimented?
    Compliments do that to me too.

User Info Menu

It's always nice to be complimented. Congrats. Use it as incentive to get even better. Recently, the bass player in the band I'm in, whose opinion I respect, told me I'm one of the best drummers he's ever played with. Made me feel great!
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

Even when I know what I played might not be the best (I am one of my own hardest critics), if someone genuinely compliments me, I'm grateful for that praise. I do the same thing for my students and of course all my musician friends and acquaintances when I know they've given all their got. Like Phrogge says: "Feel da groove and play it forward!" Always good to pass on that positive vibe when it's deserved.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Cool I'm not alone. I personally like to complement the kids in my school band on stuff there good at.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I get complements from everyone but my family.