Thread: please help find this kick muffle thing

User Info Menu

Default please help find this kick muffle thing

as you can see in this picture i used to have a sweet pillow for my kick drum but i don't have it anymore. anyone know what i might be "brand"

User Info Menu

Default Re: please help find this kick muffle thing

Looks like it's some kind of acoustic foam pad...
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Search Vicoustic Flexi Kick Drum

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Search Vicoustic Flexi Kick Drum
    yes!

User Info Menu

that's a cool looking kit itchie and you have some really nice other ''stuff'' too!

for the pad, I don't know who made that one but it seems it should be easy to replace with something similar.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

If you tune your bass drum right you don't need any foam or pillows, etc.

LL No I'm kidding! I like my bass drum padding too. Find it yet?

User Info Menu

yep found it, its like a glorified pillow ......a little more $ than i remember

you would be amazed how many threads on other forums have threads like this

"best pillow for bass drum" or "what do you use in your kick" with answers like ...i dont use anything you shouldn't too ..."my middle name is bonham ...bah bah black sheep have you any wool?"- Mr Troll

90% of advice is not advice rather aniti-vice "whats the best kick drum pillow" ...."go for a walk its better for your health"- Mr Troll

User Info Menu

One problem I recently discovered when I bought my first vintage kit, is that modern devices like the DW Bone or the EVANS pad, is that they are designed for deep drums. My 14" deep SONOR bass drum doesn't have room without squishing up against both heads.

Did I mention am am LOVING the shallow bass drum though? I really hope the pendulum swings like it did with rack toms and the more classic bass drum depths become more en vogue.

User Info Menu

Hate to hijack but I'm for shallower depth kicks, too(but don't change today's toms!)
    My 14" deep 22" Slingerland kick sounds great-as great as my other 17.5" deep kicks from Sonor and Yamaha.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    One problem I recently discovered when I bought my first vintage kit, is that modern devices like the DW Bone or the EVANS pad, is that they are designed for deep drums...
    Regarding the DW pillow, while your statement may be true, I was just looking at my DW pillow, and it has a depth label on it. Mine is an 18", so I assumed that they might be made in varying depths. You may be right that they don't go as shallow as 14", though...
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

web site only has the one

and its literally a pillow ....?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    One problem I recently discovered when I bought my first vintage kit, is that modern devices like the DW Bone or the EVANS pad, is that they are designed for deep drums. My 14" deep SONOR bass drum doesn't have room without squishing up against both heads.

Did I mention am am LOVING the shallow bass drum though? I really hope the pendulum swings like it did with rack toms and the more classic bass drum depths become more en vogue.
    i use a kick port on my 22X14 and a emad

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    web site only has the one

and its literally a pillow ....?
    Yes, it's a stuffed pillow that looks kind of like a dog bone. Black fabric with Velcro to attach to the inside of a DW bass drum.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Part of the benefit of a shallow bass drum is that it should not need much muffling. There are a lot of head choices with built in overtone control as well. I think the right combination of batter and reso heads should do the job without any internal pillow. I am firmly seated in the school of less muffling though. Afterall, Bonham played a 26" x 14" with nothing in it. Just my $.02
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

i believe you the 22x14 birch kick i use in my yamaha setup does not need a port or pillow but the 22x20 acrylic desperately needs it

User Info Menu

I have a 22" Ludwig Vistalite kick with an Emad batter and a felt strip on the reso head. Sounds good to me for a live situation but don't know about studio.
    Last edited by Olimpass; 05-06-2014 at 05:19 PM.

User Info Menu

My wife bought a mattress pad made exactly like whats in the picture...made out of foam rubber and it was cut into evenly spaced "blocks" . One of those cut down to whatever dimensions you need should do the trick . Here is another idea for you... go to an auto upholstery shop and have them cut you a small piece of high density foam rubber ( give them your dimensions and a 1 inch thickness should be plenty. It should cost under 25.00 or possibly a lot less.
    I made one for a kick drum I "mic'd" a lot and it worked well in the studio as well as live... made mixing the kick easy to dial in for the soundman.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Yep Warren's on it! You could even go to one of them big fabric/craft shops like
    Micheal's or Hobby Lobby. Them ol' gals get a kick out of us coming in there.
    Even a tan or white foam could be spray painted black after it was cut to fit.

User Info Menu

its a clear drum (so you cant hide it) and it will be gigged in some well respected venues ..i need it to sound and look right so im going to go with the vicoustic one

they are $50 Aus dollar and they sound perfect , trust me im so picky its not funny

User Info Menu

its a clear drum (so you cant hide it) and it will be gigged in some well respected venues ..i need it to sound and look right so im going to go with the vicoustic one

they are $50 Aus dollar and they sound perfect , trust me im so picky its not funny
    Well yeah that'll work too.

User Info Menu

but the Hobby Lobby stuff would only be maybe $10
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Now that we got that all worked, how's our new Muckraker CD coming along Slinky?
    Had a little windshield time today between jobs and bet that CD would be one handy tool!

User Info Menu

Ended up using a pdp pillow I had in storage

Sounds ok better than nothing

User Info Menu

Afterall, Bonham played a 26" x 14" with nothing in it. Just my $.02
    But he played in a very loud band and was the master of his own destiny. For most of us a wide open 26" bass drum would be a little inappropriate sonically.

all the best...