Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand New Female Drummer...How dumb am I?

User Info Menu

Question Brand New Female Drummer...How dumb am I?

Hi. Life-long drum lover here, finally taking lessons. I've had four now.....with a very adept instructor. However...... I'm wondering.....does everyone feel like each of their respective limbs is completely and utterly retarded when they start drumming? I mean, should I hang this up? LOL I have been a life long dancer (think ballerina, on her toes) and gymnast (best event, balance beam) so I'm not exactly uncoordinated, but.......I find myself looking down at my hand or foot, and I'm like, MOVE or something! Already. For crying out loud!

LOL, so I am wondering, does it feel foreign at first for everyone who is learning to drum? After I put my limbs through their paces a few times, it comes out pretty easily, but it seems so halting and awkward at first. My drum teacher is great at drums, but she is quite reserved, and really doesn't issue feedback. Thus, my query here. Anyway, if you've been so generous with your time as to read my post, and if you're so inclined, I would love any feedback regarding these matters. So, thank you in advance!

And, btw, she's taught me the pieces of the drum parts for the song by Nirvana, Come As You Are, and I've been practicing that today on my, probably very sad little kit, that I have at home. Is that ambitious? Or am I behind the curve? Haha, thanks again for your responses......

User Info Menu

Default Re: Brand New Female Drummer...How dumb am I?

Everybody, and I mean everybody has coordination issues at first(and even later). Most of us were not born with the ability to play drums. Coordination comes with practice: think of the things you've learned to do, other than drumming. Your dancing, etc., took a lot of practice.
    Four lessons and playing a song already! Keep at it!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Everybody, and I mean everybody has coordination issues at first(and even later). Most of us were not born with the ability to play drums. Coordination comes with practice: think of the things you've learned to do, other than drumming. Your dancing, etc., took a lot of practice.
    Four lessons and playing a song already! Keep at it!
    +1...............some things will seem easy and others will take a ton of work................all part of the journey....................have fun

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC! Yes, having limbs that won't coordinate can be frustrating at first but once you build up some muscle memory, you'll feel much better about drumming. Just like ballet, you won't be able to dance "Swan Lake" right out of the gate. Just like your first handstand on the balance beam, your arms and legs will need to be "trained" on how much effort it will take to swing the sticks around the kit. If you have any recording equipment, try to record yourself either as an audio file or video clip. You'll learn so much about yourself by watching or listening and you'll be able to see the improvements and progress you'll be making.

User Info Menu

Everyone has a different learning curve, don't worry. Like Slingerland said, we're not born with the ability to play drums straight away, it's something that's developed over time. (What you've learned as a dancer would probably put me and some others here to shame, who knows?!) And as you've stated, what comes out first is so awkward and halting at first, but then it comes out easier and better once you put your limbs through their paces. Hopefully, your drum teacher will be watching you to correct your limb movements, just as much as what your dance teacher(s) would have done for you as you were developing as a dancer. It just takes time. Four lessons and you're already doing a song? That's not too bad at all. Are you being shown a bit of notation or is it all by ear?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Have you ever watched a baby trying to walk? Stand up, fall down, stand up, fall down...
    I don't think I've ever seen one stop trying. Maybe they know something we don't.

Keep trying Arabian Jewel, you'll get it.

User Info Menu

Haha thank you for your responses.....laughed muchly, as I read them. I shall marinate on your advice, and act accordingly. Thank you for the insight.....and, btw, scared to video my drumming!! LOL ahhhh, I just would probably be wincing the whole time I watched it....shaking my head in shame....maybe I should hold on that endeavor for a bit. And lol to the Swan Lake and balance beam references.....I used to want to nail the moves instantly, pretty much, but yeah, upon reflection, most of the gymnast skills and pointe work were not exactly natural feeling, nor were the very intense and harder skills comfortable....at first....much blood sweat and tears.....for sure.......but then again, a lot of it came super easily and naturally. I suppose it will be the same with drumming.

I wonder if I am being silly paying someone to teach me when I could follow youtube videos for free, instead? Or is having a live instructor, monitoring your work more beneficial? (I suspect the later.) Anyway, loved your responses and they were super encouraging and helpful so thank you so much. And thank you for the warm welcomes. :-)
    Julie

PS.....I thought I would roll off my chair laughing while I read that random thread, somewhere on here, where the original poster was trying to encourage everyone to join in and count, in order to reach some astronomical number of posts.....you are all HILARIOUS. That was fun!

User Info Menu

Drumming is not always easy. I have to keep working at it too. I break up complex movements into smaller parts, then practice the individual parts. It takes me time to learn a song. I learn faster if I practice before going to sleep at night.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat, arabian jewel.

You are more than welcome to join in on any topic and post away. We are friendly, non-judgmental and encourage you to not be afraid to ask anything you need information about. No question is dumb or silly.

If it's important enough for you to ask, you will get good positive feedback.

Enjoy the forums but stay away from the Count to 10,000 thread. (Just kidding)
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It seems like a daunting task, but eventually, everything will just "click". You'll find yourself playing and not even thinking about your physical movements. You'll simply play along with the song in your mind and your body will automatically accommodate your thoughts. I suppose very similar to a dance routine (?). I also suspect your physical conditioning and sense of timing will be of great benefit.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

sounds like your doing fine

just remember to do your homework, rudiments and sticking patterns, the rest will follow

you cant build Rome in a day but you can damn well try

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by *arabian*jewel* View Post
    I wonder if I am being silly paying someone to teach me when I could follow youtube videos for free, instead? Or is having a live instructor, monitoring your work more beneficial? (I suspect the later.)
    Welcome to DC! It's not silly at all, yes you can watch videos on youtube and yes you can always ask us questions here on DC but in the end it's nice having a human sitting right there to tell you to change the way your doing something before you injure yourself.

To your original question, yes I couldn't play anything outside of single stroke rolls, para-diddles and the basic "rock beat" for about 4 months and after that I was still sloppy, but you get over it with practice.

My only other advice is follow the instruction of my signature and wear hearing protection, tinnitus is probably one of the most annoying things in the world, and hearing damage is most often times irreversible.
    Wear hearing protection.

User Info Menu

Welcome. I am a newbie to drums, too, but old (55). Like with guitar and drums (for me) I often have to take tiny pieces of drum parts that sound easy, but are not easy for me to play. It takes a LOT of working through and repetition, even for 3-4 note riffs. I'm not a natural musician on ANY instrument, but I would recommend taking it slow and don't let yourself get frustrated. It takes what it takes to move ahead. Best of luck!!
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Good morning! I wanted to jump in here quickly to say again that I very much appreciate all of your responses, and find them very encouraging and helpful.

Also, I will respond to each of them, because I value your effort to help me and I appreciate your input--but there will be a delay because today's insane pace is going to take me out of the drum realm. For sure. :-(

......So back as soon as possible....

Firstly, however, regarding ear protection.....roger THAT!!!!! I use double protection.. I deeply value my hearing......as you all do too.....can you imagine it being compromised? omg--would be bad.

Thank you all again and talk to you soon. :-) I hope you have a happy day!
    Julie

User Info Menu

Haha.......and one more thing before I go for a long run, lol, I think I will lay off the youtube videos of the six year olds rocking drums for a while!

LMBO!!!!!!!!!! (laughing my butt off)

Okay. Bye!

User Info Menu

I wonder if I am being silly paying someone to teach me when I could follow youtube videos for free, instead? Or is having a live instructor, monitoring your work more beneficial? (I suspect the later.) Anyway, loved your responses and they were super encouraging and helpful so thank you so much. And thank you for the warm welcomes. :-)
    Julie

PS.....I thought I would roll off my chair laughing while I read that random thread, somewhere on here, where the original poster was trying to encourage everyone to join in and count, in order to reach some astronomical number of posts.....you are all HILARIOUS. That was fun!
    First, welcome to the forum! From your sentence structure and particular word use, I'm guessing you are part of our European or Australian DC family.

It's great to have another girl joining our clan. These guys are the best, but it gets a little lonely around her with just Bridie and Drum Dame sometimes!

There is no substitute for a real live reactionary teacher. I started out on this journey about a year ago now, and once I had to give up on lessons my learning curve plummeted. You even have a female teacher that is willing to show you parts of songs - she is a gem!

Yes, I felt like a newborn colt when I started out - and I have absolutely NO grace to fall back on. You'll get it. (At least that's what everyone told me...I'm still working on it....but that could be partly because I'm playing pillows right now...)

Finally...I am going thru a pretty rough patch right now, and these guys never cease to make me laugh. If you have an hour or two, check out the Bacon thread! The three word story ain't bad either. But first check out this one:
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...tion-1699.html

Just make sure you aren't drinking/eating anything when you do!
    "Well-behaved women rarely make history."
    -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, 1976

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC!

Lot's of good people and information here... good place to be

Keep in mind during your journey, just like any other physical activity, that you will hit plateaus... it can get discouraging and may make you think that this isn't for you. It isn't your ability that determines that, it's your desire. Often I feel like I take 2 steps back to take 3 forward. In many ways, playing drums is my therapy. Regardless of my progress and abilities, I know this is where my heart is. Look forward to many more posts from you.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Haha I am SUCH an idiot!!!!! Every time I see that one of you has written: "Welcome to DC.".... I think (cannot believe I'm gonna own this.....haha...)...Oh cool! Washington!

LOL Yes. I'm that dumb.

I was raised in Virginia.....cannot help it!

And, much as I'd love to live in England or Australia, I merely live in Minnesota.

Took a quick break to read your posts....fun.....gotta run....but back soon........

User Info Menu

Haha I am SUCH an idiot!!!!! Every time I see that one of you has written: "Welcome to DC.".... I think (cannot believe I'm gonna own this.....haha...)...Oh cool! Washington!

LOL Yes. I'm that dumb.

I was raised in Virginia.....cannot help it!

And, much as I'd love to live in England or Australia, I merely live in Minnesota.

Took a quick break to read your posts....fun.....gotta run....but back soon........
    Ah Minnesota....that explains it then!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Hey, I resemble that remark!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Hahaha...Packer fan right?

User Info Menu

Hey AJ, welcome to DC! Which part of the frozen tundra are you from? Ex-Minneapolisin(Minneapolisite?) here. LOL!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

User Info Menu

Hahaha...Packer fan right?
    Is there another football team up there? If there is, I'm not aware of it. That is, unless you're talking about that purple and gold high school team that plays in the NFL.

Ya, I went there. LOL!
    Stolen from EddieV:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Is there another football team up there? If there is, I'm not aware of it. That is, unless you're talking about that purple and gold high school team that plays in the NFL.

Ya, I went there. LOL!
    Classic "Packer" fan response...and your "discount double check is in the mail"...

User Info Menu

I merely live in Minnesota.
    I was gonna say something, but it appears I have been beaten to it.
    Wear hearing protection.