Thread: Choosing a set

User Info Menu

Default Choosing a set

Hi there everyone! i am not a drumplayer,just a guitar one but I am buying a drum set for a beginner(adult) and i do not know which would be the best option choosing from these (i do not know a thing about drums):
    Startone Star Drum Set Standard -BK
    clifton_black_beat_drum_set_standard
    Millenium MX222WR Standard Set
    Millenium MX222BX Standard Set BK

I would be grateful if you could give me some additional info(like pros and cons for choosing one set or the other).

ps: it is a very special gift, a special surprise that i want to make so pls do not ignore me Thank you very much!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Choosing a set

Hi Nightchild!

It seems like I've been answering a lot of these kinds of questions lately! I guess a lot of birthdays are coming up or something.

So, first off, none of the brands that you listed there are very popular in the U.S. where I live, but I did a little internet research and took a quick look at the photos and details. Here's my opinion:

First, all 4 are extremely similar. They are all similar dimensions, and are most likely made from the same composite wood. So, they'll all probably sound about the same. I would be surprised if one of these four drumsets sounded noticibly better than any of the others. All come with the same intro-level hardware (1 cymbal stand, 1 hi-hat stand, 1 snare stand, 1 drum throne, 1 bass pedal) which for more medium to high level drumsets are not included when you buy the drums, so clearly these are designed to be all-in-one kits for beginners, which makes a very nice present! The only additional thing a person would need to buy in order to start playing is a pair of drumsticks.

Now, as to which one I would recommend, I would say that you should NOT buy the first one, the "Startone Star Drum Set Standard -BK". The reason I say that is the mounting hardware and bass drum spurs look to be much lower quality than on the other drums. The hardware (meaning all the metal bits that hold the drums and cymbals in place) look pretty weak, and probably wouldn't last very long before needing to be repaired or replaced.

Now, the other 3 drumsets are almost identical. The two drumsets made by Millenium are the exact same set in different colors, but the last one made by Clifton is SO similar that from reading the descriptions and looking at the photos I expect that all three are in fact the same drumset, simply with a different brand labels on them.

So, I would recommend you not choose the Startone, and instead pick one of the Milleniums or the Clifton. Just choose the one that you like the color or the look of the best. They will be a great starter package to give as a gift!
    "Guys, if you wanted Superman for this gig, you should have hired Superman. Instead, you got Batman." - Donny Gruendler

"You always think you have more problems than you actually have." - Dave Elitch

Instagram: @bringerofthud
    Twitter:@davetilove

User Info Menu

Wow ! very detailed answer. i appreciate it; thank you very much

User Info Menu

I would go for a good used kit. You are a beginner and there are a lot of good quality used drums out there for e.g. Pearl Exports, Ludwig, Tama, DW etc are great sounding quality made drums and you should be able to find one at a great price. Sorry I have never heard of the brand you mention so can't really say much about them. Buying your first kit is quite a challenge and I wish you the best of luck at finding the right one for you.

User Info Menu

thanks! i would buy a second hand kit, but i do not know how to choose one..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nightchild View Post
    thanks! i would buy a second hand kit, but i do not know how to choose one..
    Personally I would look at the manufacturers websites first to see what is available in their starter to intermediate ranges. There are quite a lot of mainstream manufacturers that all supply quality equipment - Ddrum, Gretsch, Mapex, PDP, Pearl, Sonor, Tama, Yamaha, and no doubt others that I've overlooked.

Have a window shop if you get the opportunity to see what the actual price is that these kits retail for (ignore the manufacturer's list prices as they are often meaningless).

Have a look at eBay, Craigs List, to familiarise yourself with used prices. If you see a kit you like the look of (many sellers have several photographs listed and highlight any minor scuffs to the finish etc.) contact the seller and make a point of asking if the kit is complete just to check to see if you need any additional items, drum stool, cymbals etc. (Personally I aim to pay no more than half of the current retail price - if the kit is in very good condition, but a good search around the online sites should give you ballpark figures for the amounts people are willing to pay). Don't put a lot of faith in 'buy it now' prices as these are often listed for months on end and don't necessarily attract buyers. Many people sell complete kits - even if the cymbals look a bit rough they are probably no worse than the stuff supplied with new starter kits - so don't worry if the cymbals look a bit grimy - they will clean up nicely with a bit of metal polish/elbow grease..

If there are marks on the drumheads (skins) - I personally would not worry too much, for a used kit this is normal, as long as they aren't covered in dents and look very old and tired, but there is no harm in erring on the side of caution.

Good luck.

User Info Menu

Nightchild, in the way of used kits, it's not uncommon to see good used Pearl Export kits going for anywhere from $350-500, depending on the series. I don't know whether something like that might be available in your area. You might also consider a used Mapex Pro M kit (maple drums), or Mapex M Birch kit, if they are available. Any of these would be a step up in quality from the beginner kits, but the gift of even the beginner kit would still be very nice.

The tricky thing would be that if you aren't sure what to look for in the way of the bearing edges of a drum, or the general integrity of the drumshell and hardware, it might be best to go with new to get the protection of a warranty.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!