Thread: on the road

User Info Menu

Default on the road

I have a question about practicing .
    Im going to be on vacation soon for a couple weeks and I hate that my drums wont be around so I was wondering how do people practice when on the road or vacations?

User Info Menu

You don't need drums to practice. A great deal of practicing consists of limb independence. You can sit in a chair and move your arms and legs as if you're practicing a real set of drums, and practice drumset beats. Believe it or not, this works. Your brain is learning how to coordinate those limbs. It is a proven technique.

User Info Menu

iv never done it.. I recon I wouldnt pratice that much. but i amagne if i did. id bring my rudiment sticks, pratice pad and just bang away with my free time. but like i said, i probably wouldnt pratice if i was havin fun.

User Info Menu

Also, I take my practice pad with me on the road. This is an opportunity to focus in on your rudiments and build your hands.

User Info Menu

Last edited by Roaddebris; 10-03-2007 at 10:31 AM.

User Info Menu

My practice routine is 100% away from the kit. When im playing my kit i just concentrate on haveing fun.

I thouroughly recomend getting a practice pad and takeing it with you.

Hope that was of any help.

User Info Menu

any suggestions on type of practice pad to get

User Info Menu

Depends on your taste. I like the Reel Feels myself.

User Info Menu

I like the real feels as well... All that silicone technology crap is just getting in the way these days.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

This might be a little in excess and take up a little more room but it's nice. As you can see it's all one stand. I like the fact that you can work your feet as well. I love using a practice pad on the road but that doesn't help me keep up my feet chops. There's also a "foot" practice pedal called Futz that works well with just a pad if that DW practice setup is too much. Blessings......
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
    I have a mouspad turned upside down and glued to a piece of wood. Great response, and much quieter than a lot of practice pads. And since I had an old mouspad, and junk wood laying around, it was free. I highly suggest it! lol
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Sticks and a practice pad..... Nuff said.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
    I have a practice pad that has ball bearings in it, makes it sound kinda cool. Promark Xpad, it was cheap.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by middleman View Post
    This might be a little in excess and take up a little more room but it's nice. As you can see it's all one stand. I like the fact that you can work your feet as well. I love using a practice pad on the road but that doesn't help me keep up my feet chops. There's also a "foot" practice pedal called Futz that works well with just a pad if that DW practice setup is too much. Blessings......
    I like it

User Info Menu

Speaking of liking it, I like the new avatar, Aunkster!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Thanks..it took a while to get to that size..lol

User Info Menu

I think that's one of the cooler avatars!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    You don't need drums to practice. A great deal of practicing consists of limb independence. You can sit in a chair and move your arms and legs as if you're practicing a real set of drums, and practice drumset beats. Believe it or not, this works. Your brain is learning how to coordinate those limbs. It is a proven technique.
    I know it works, it's kinda embarassing that I can consistently keep a paradiddle going on my hands more consistently and faster than with my sticks XD
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    WHOO HOO Peter Criss! One of the shining examples of drummers who can and do write and sing hit songs! Also one of the few top level drummers who actually plays a Tama.
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.