Thread: octobans vs deccabons

User Info Menu

Default octobans vs deccabons

what's the difference between the two? I always wanted to have two or three.
    Last edited by slinky; 05-09-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: octobans vs deccabons

I think that they serve the exact same purpose and are primarily the same drum.

From my limited research, octabans are made by Tama and are more expensive that the deccabons made by DDrum. As far as sound and quality difference, your guess is as good as mine.

As an alternative, you could always try your hand at building some of these "tube toms" yourself using spare drum hardware and PVC pipe.

http://www.arrickrobotics.com/tubetoms.html

User Info Menu

I think it's just that the name 'octoban' has been more or less synonymous with Tama, who introduced their particular model in 1976 with drummers like Billy Cobham, an endorsee of theirs at that time. Tama's design is a patented fiber moulding process, painted a black lacquer colour.

However the concept of a long tubular designed drum with a small diameter head is not exactly their brainchild, as I've heard of a few percussionists were using bamboo tubes with hide heads in some orchestral pieces beforehand....one of them could have been the Englishman James Blades, a Professor Of Percussion (Carl Palmer was one of his famous students, and Blades has written a definitive book about percussion instruments and their origins), and in fact the American composer Harry Partch had a couple of guys build him some similar instruments, as he was writing music that depended on instruments that could play exotic, non Western-tempered scales, and these drums were nicknamed "boobams" (a play on the word "bamboo"), as they were reminiscent of tribal drums from Pacific Islands. That's the stuff I remember talking about with my music college professor, who has a keen interest in exotic percussion.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

hey guys thank you for the information, boobams i like that
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I think they are 4 companies that make'em Tama,Peace,ddrum,and pearl. I like Tama because they have been around a long time and I like the 4 piece clusterd stand instead of linear./I like to save space. example: 'my favorite bop kit' (I made them using Tama specs ).
    Last edited by drummerMD; 05-10-2014 at 11:35 PM.

User Info Menu

You can make your own pretty easily. I made mine out of acrylic, 6" extruded tubing. I got a 6' length and made a set of four. They sound even better knowing that I made them myself.

Here's a sound sample at 0:27 and 0:35 in this link:
    https://soundcloud.com/james-phelps/acoustic-jam

User Info Menu

Nice work there Embalmer. A mate of mine also makes clear octobans for a few people around the place.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

DW makes Rata Toms.
    Haven't found to much info on DC about quality, reliability or sound.
    I ordered a set of 4 with varying plys and depths and all are maple shells. Hoping to have them in my hands by July, can't wait. I will post pics and opinion then.

User Info Menu

nice embalmer! I can build toast that's about it. the Rata Toms sound interesting.

Ludwig makes them too. Just saw a b/o 4pc set on ebay for like $900!
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Embalmer View Post
    You can make your own pretty easily. I made mine out of acrylic, 6" extruded tubing. I got a 6' length and made a set of four. They sound even better knowing that I made them myself.

Here's a sound sample at 0:27 and 0:35 in this link:
    https://soundcloud.com/james-phelps/acoustic-jam
    Those are awesome! Nice work! The ONLY problem I would have with them is seeing them with clear heads. I would need to install black dot heads or use colored tubes, LOL. Sucks getting old...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Here is mine that I made