Thread: Snare drumheads on a Silverstar?

User Info Menu

Default Snare drumheads on a Silverstar?

I just bought myself a Tama Silverstar kit.
    I love the over all sound on it except for the snare that is really sharp and loud and cuts through everything
    Itīs birch.
    How can I get away some of the sharp sound on the snare?
    Wich heads do you recomend and would changing snarewires do something for the sound except more or less rassle?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drumheads on a Silverstar?

Hi Matfarsan, I had a similar issue with a Gretsch Catalina Maple kit. I found the 14x6 snare to have a sound that was too sharp for my taste. I had heard the snare in a local music store (that's when I started considering the kit), and really liked the sound. The batter head they had on their kit was an Evans Genera HD Dry head. I bought one for my snare, and it really tamed the sharpness.

Now, in a live situation, you might still want the sharness to cut through the rest of the band. So keep that in mind, too.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare drumheads on a Silverstar?

Snare heads are too complicated to me-I use coated Evans G1 tom heads to "tame" the snare ring and they last longer. And, yeah, you can play lightly, ghostingly, sensitively, etc...
    Last edited by slinglander; 05-10-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: added comment
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/