Thread: Drum Endorsement

User Info Menu

Default Drum Endorsement

I'm filling out apps for Zildjian, Tama, Vic Firth, and Remo. Should I become endorsed?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Endorsement

No, never. Don't even think about accepting deals or free stuff. You better just send anything you get to me....

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TonyFreeDrum View Post
    I'm filling out apps for Zildjian, Tama, Vic Firth, and Remo. Should I become endorsed?
    Yes.

User Info Menu

First, you should probably be aware that no drummer ever becomes endorsed. Drummers endorse products.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    First, you should probably be aware that no drummer ever becomes endorsed. Drummers endorse products.
    If you like and use the products, and get an opportunity to be buried in a tidal wave of freebies or support. Got for it. If it doesn't work out you can always withdraw from the agreement at a later date. You are selling your ability not your soul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    If you like and use the products, and get an opportunity to be buried in a tidal wave of freebies or support. Got for it. If it doesn't work out you can always withdraw from the agreement at a later date. You are selling your ability not your soul.
    Actually you are selling your fame.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Actually you are selling your fame.
    YES and YES!

User Info Menu

Why not? There really isn't a down side. You either get some free stuff or get a discount when you buy stuff. Either way you save a bit of $$$. Depends on your level of endorsement.

User Info Menu

i'd like to have a stick and head endorsment.
    Last edited by slinky; 05-13-2014 at 09:12 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

What makes you feel that you have something to offer these major companies? How will Tama benefit by having your name attached to its product? Do you do a lot of high visibility gigs or are you exposed to a huge audience through a media outlet?
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    What makes you feel that you have something to offer these major companies? How will Tama benefit by having your name attached to its product? Do you do a lot of high visibility gigs or are you exposed to a huge audience through a media outlet?
    Nailed it. That's all they're looking for. Exposure. It's a cheap marketing expense.

User Info Menu

Endorsements, for the most part, doesn't mean free stuff. And if you do get something free, it's probably very limited.

Usually it means modest to substantial markdowns, but not usually free stuff unless you are a very high profile, touring nationally and a recording artist.
    Last edited by EddieV; 05-14-2014 at 02:31 PM.
    "The problem with information on the Internet is that you can not validate it's authenticity. " -Abraham Lincoln

SILVERFOX DRUMSTICKS & SOULTONE CYMBALS Endorsing Artist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TonyFreeDrum View Post
    Funny thing is that's a question those companies are going to have to answer. Of corse everyone wants free drum stuff but sabian remo tama and so on are going to have to decide on if they want you to represent their company. Chances are you might get a something depending on how well written your press packet is. If you have a chance go to namm and really hit up vendors you like there great face to face time to make an impression.

User Info Menu

Hmm.

I don't think much of the endorsement game with very few exceptions. As stated before, you are endorsing their product, the company isn't endorsing you.

I'm guessing that you picked those particular companies because you appreciate their products. That is a good thing. Part of my distaste for endorsements is because of some high profile players who have a record of jumping from company to company looking for that bigger better deal. The only good reason to endorse a product is because you truly believe in it.

Personally, the only drumming product that I believe in enough that I'd want my name associated with it is Vic Firth. I've used their sticks and only their sticks since I first discovered their products in the mid 1990s. Although I play in three bands and gig several nights a week, I know that my local voice really would not do anything for them. So, I endorse them in a different and more important way. I spend my money on their products month after month, year after year. To me that is more of an endorsement than a national player who changes flavors on a regular basis.
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

It's almost a waste of time unless they come to you.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Unless you already swear by those companies and have no desire to try other gear then I would suggest against it.

This is why you see a lot more stick endorsements than anything else. There aren't a lot of big competitors and usually when you find a stick you like you don't usually think twice about trying another because you found the best stick for you, so why not endorse them if you can?

But If you like being able to play ALL different cymbals and kits then why remove your ability to play every kit around?

If you are doing it for the discount and free stuff then you should not.
    Last edited by Zeta; 05-21-2014 at 08:56 PM. Reason: wording
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I should wear a "Pearl" t-shirt, hat, headband, get "Pearl" tattooed on both arms and cover my drums in "Pearl" decals. Then, make a video of myself playing drums and post it on YouTube. Maybe then Pearl would pay me to switch to Ludwig! Hmmm.....it's JUST crazy enough, it might work......
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Tonyfreedrum, How do you get apps. for them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    Hmm.

I don't think much of the endorsement game with very few exceptions. As stated before, you are endorsing their product, the company isn't endorsing you.

I'm guessing that you picked those particular companies because you appreciate their products. That is a good thing. Part of my distaste for endorsements is because of some high profile players who have a record of jumping from company to company looking for that bigger better deal. The only good reason to endorse a product is because you truly believe in it.

Personally, the only drumming product that I believe in enough that I'd want my name associated with it is Vic Firth. I've used their sticks and only their sticks since I first discovered their products in the mid 1990s. Although I play in three bands and gig several nights a week, I know that my local voice really would not do anything for them. So, I endorse them in a different and more important way. I spend my money on their products month after month, year after year. To me that is more of an endorsement than a national player who changes flavors on a regular basis.
    I dont know man. At that level, top level pros, it's a money game. I get them jumping from company to company. They are making a living and going where the money is is smart business.

At that level if anyone thinks it's about anything other than money they are mistaken.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    I dont know man. At that level, top level pros, it's a money game. I get them jumping from company to company. They are making a living and going where the money is is smart business.

At that level if anyone thinks it's about anything other than money they are mistaken.
    I don't think the money is all that for 99% of the pro endorsers. It's a bit of a myth that they get deals that include being on the payroll. The bigger issues are support, especially worldwide support, clinics, promotion, gear discounts or freebies, etc...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    i'd like to have a stick and head endorsment.
    yea that way you always have fresh sticks and your heads are always the way you like them either brand new or 2 weeks old. I could suck up the price for a nice kit and cymbals but when you like to buy new heads every 2-4 weeks it adds up fast.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    Hmm.

Also the way for at the level your describing its them also taking a gamble in a way to hope them helping you with music will help you become famous and become the person that changes peoples minds about brands and they have just made there investment back. And when i see guys who play local they do change my liking of a kit. Because i hear them natural no sound modifications to them and i see them from 0-15 feet away by zero the guy lets sit and play for like a minute or two.
    Sabian!!!