Drum Domains

Thread: Hybrid kits. Anybody playing them?

User Info Menu

Default Hybrid kits. Anybody playing them?

Since I've been using an E kit, I have experienced all the typical issues from not quite right cymbals to the bias in the drumming/music crowd.

They have always offered more pros than cons for me so I'm standing by them. In order to combat the aesthetics, I simply placed a dummy kick in front of the kit so no one could look up my skirt

To further address this issue, I have converted an A kit to E and now I have questions. I will eventually figure it out but I thought I'd throw it out here in case anyone has been through it.

When I first went to an E kit, I felt the cymbal (and HH) sounds were inadequate. Now that I have the hybrid, I find I'm not loving the A cymbals like I should.

Is it because they are too loud?
    Is it because I am hearing them a mili second before I hear my E drums thru the PA across the room?
    Is it simply because I got accustomed to the E cymbals?
    Is it because E cymbals aren't really that bad and I just bought into popular opinion?

I haven't yet played them with my band yet so maybe they will blend into the mix. All I know is, with an A crash, you have to hit it hard and hard = loud. With the E's, you can get the full crash at a lower volume. And, I do have the thinnest crashes I could find. Maybe some makes super thins?

I don't play much ride cymbal so that is of little importance to me. I'm strictly a HH and crash kind of guy.

Any input will be appreciated

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hybrid kits. Anybody playing them?

In the past few years, I've combined both ekit and acoustic kits together to form some type of hybrid kit using both A-cymbals and E-cymbals but I never got around to micing up the A-kit to match the level and dynamics of the ekit. The effort it took to try and match the decay of an A-cymbal against the sampled chip of an E-cymbal was more than I wanted to spend on any given weekend afternoon. Without both kits coming out of the same audio source such as a set of PA speakers, it was really difficult for me to establish any kind of equal balance between both type of cymbals.

Is it because they are too loud?

Yes

Is it because I am hearing them a mili second before I hear my E drums thru the PA across the room?

No, your ears won't be able to hear that mili-second

Is it simply because I got accustomed to the E cymbals?

Yes

Is it because E cymbals aren't really that bad and I just bought into popular opinion?

Yes

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input and, damn that's a lot of drums. I only have two hands/arms

Still working on the kit. The 4 upper pads on the right trigger the SPD-SX The 5th is an E ride or accessory. And, I slide a dummy kick into place when gigging I didn't like the feel of the converted mesh kick head. I'd rather whack the pads

I may have to wait a week until the band can get together again to try it out for real.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    Thanks for the input and, damn that's a lot of drums. I only have two hands/arms

Still working on the kit. The 4 upper pads on the right trigger the SPD-SX The 5th is an E ride or accessory. And, I slide a dummy kick into place when gigging I didn't like the feel of the converted mesh kick head. I'd rather whack the pads

I may have to wait a week until the band can get together again to try it out for real.

Your'e welcome. Nice set up NewTricks!

User Info Menu

At one time, I had attached triggers to my acoustic kit and was able to add an extra level of effects to the drum set.

It also sort of worked in place of microphones. I could amplify the triggers and blend with the acoustic drum tones and had unlimited sounds.

Subnote: carrying electronic brain, extra sound cables and either a set of headphone monitors or a complete on stage monitor system just for the drums got to be a little much.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Subnote: carrying electronic brain, extra sound cables and either a set of headphone monitors or a complete on stage monitor system just for the drums got to be a little much.
    Well, one thing I'm toying around with is to use just my Roland Handsonic on the left of my hi-hats (in place of the auxiliary snare or snares or percussion I sometimes have there) with a Roland KT10 Kick Trigger to the right of my bass drum pedal, which should fit perfectly there, instead of the slightly more awkward angling and placement of a KD-7 and a pedal with a reversed beater. Maybe add the Boss FS-5U to the left of the hi-hat stand, should I decide to have that coming off the split cable lead as well. The KT10 is one of these guys, I'm just waiting for one of my local stores bring one in and then I can try it out:

Having the acoustic set with one of these minimal set ups will be a breeze, as all I'd have to do is bring the Handsonic, a extra snare stand, two foot controllers with a Y-cable, and a medium bass amp/e-drum amp (unless I get around to playing larger venues, then I'll have to break out a mic kit and submixer, more on that later). But for small gig situations, where the acoustic set's unmiked most of the time anyway, it's a great and fast way to add some electronic sounds to supplement a set, especially with covering today's songs. Even with the slightly more cumbersome KD-7/kick pedal set up, adding those few small things only takes an extra couple of minutes to an overall set up time, without the fuss of setting up an e-drum module, locating and angling pads, worrying about extra room on stage being taken up, etc. Unless you're a Cromagnon, the Handsonic, despite what Roland say, is quite able to take some well placed backbeat strikes on its larger zones , should you decide to use its various sounds (as well as it being sensitive enough to handle delicate fingers strokes for things like Indian tabla sounds, etc). Telling you that from first hand experience. Once the KT10's been purchased and set up, I'll have to get a few photos and videos in.
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 05-15-2014 at 02:56 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Damn that KT10 looks impressive. I need more money!!

I like the feel of kick pedals and this one is STEALTHY! It would really help with the floor space issues.

Let me know if you get to test drive one.

User Info Menu

A lot of e drummers are using the gen 16's now because they are quiet as compared to regular acoustic cymbals but of course with the amp and pick ups you can have different sounds like having many different sets of cymbals. I had the Roland rubber cymbals and although, being triggered thru a module,they sounded great, they still looked like toys to me. I ended up buying some cheap Sabians , an 18 ride, 16 and 14 crashes, apnd 14 hats and a great guy named J man from Stealth drums.com, triggered them and dampened them for my 2 box module, which by the way IMO is the best e drum module offered today and I have owned and sold the Roland Td 30 to get it! Having full sized, metal cymbals, makes my acoustic to electronic conversion complete. He can sell you the triggers and dampening material and you can install yourself or he might give you an installation price, talk to him. He offers a bolt on or Velcro on trigger. I bought cheap cymbals so I bolted mine on
    Last edited by hemiboy; 06-05-2014 at 05:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks man. I wasn't aware of that option. I was on the verge of trying to paint the e cymbals gold

User Info Menu

I'm thinking of getting Roland snare and kick triggers to add depth to my acoustic kit with my td9 module.

I've read and watched some videos where this works really well, even if the drums are mic'd.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Here is the 25th reincarnation of my e kit.

The next version will have double ply heads because these Silent Strokes don't feel durable.

User Info Menu

I'm playing an acoustic that I converted to an electronic, does that count?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    Here is the 25th reincarnation of my e kit.

The next version will have double ply heads because these Silent Strokes don't feel durable.

Not a bad kit set up.

Take it from me, you'll go through loads of different kit incarnations before you'll strike the right balance between acoustic and electric.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Not a bad kit set up.

Take it from me, you'll go through loads of different kit incarnations before you'll strike the right balance between acoustic and electric.
    You could be right. Right now I'm all electronic again because it works well for what/where I am playing. The A cymbals were just to overbearing in the rehearsal studio.

And, I just realized that I'm already on #26 as I moved a pad and added one since this pic was taken.