Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best China you've ever heard?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Best China you've ever heard?

If you can ever find them second hand, an old series that Meinl put out, the 'Rancan China' or 'Dragon China' (and there were cup chimes in this series too). Basically, for a short time, Meinl had a distribution licence for some Wuhans that they've done something to......whether is was some rehammering and lathing, I'm not sure....but whatever they did when they relabelled them, they sounded awesome....the larger ones that you could get, say bigger than 20" or so, had a roar to them and yet it was somewhat 'gated' and controlled at the same time. I believe LP then took over the distribution for a short while, but haven't seen them in their later catalogues after the early 2000's or so. There were even small crashes, splashes and a ride in that limited series. The very few Youtube videos around don't do them justice, you really have to hear them up close, but I can remember someone had one for a short while, trying them out in drum shops and even coming across the bells and splash when I went to a private sale on some other gear (naturally, the owner was keeping those, but at least I got to try them out, made me a happy lad for sure).
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by embalmer View Post
    exactly! That's why i own one.
    +1

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by foof55 View Post
    I have:22" Zildjian Swish,20" Zildjian Pang,22",16",14" Wuhan,20" Crash of Doom
    Awesome sounding set of targets!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!