Thread: Using remo batter head for reso. head

User Info Menu

Default Using remo batter head for reso. head

Went to gc and bought some remo what I thought was reso. heads but turned out to be clear batter heads. Called gc and told them what was going on and the salesman for drums told me that I can still use them as reso. heads because that was all they had in stock. The heads are remo ambassadors clear batter heads. So is it alright to use these clear batter heads for reso. heads?
    I have remo powerstrokes coated on top.

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Using remo batter head for reso. head

Yes, The Remo clear Ambass is a single ply head. It can be used as a batter or reso head. Your drums should sound pretty good with that combo!

Last edited by late8; 05-14-2014 at 04:55 PM.

User Info Menu

The only thing that differs from a batter and a reso is were you put it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    The only thing that differs from a batter and a reso is were you put it.
    Um, snare drums notwithstanding...

User Info Menu

Should be fine - I have put them on the reso side of my Sonor Jungle kit and the drums sound great. Lots of people do this - they are just as good as heads designated as Reso but can be bought in sets. But like xsabers just posted - not on snares.

User Info Menu

Totally fine to do it, especially if it's one ply. No sure how a two-ply reso would sound, it could be pleasant sounding as well, I just wouldn't a reso head for a batter, because they are extremely thin, and probably wouldn't last that long
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

I would wager that Remo clear Ambassadors are one of (if not THE) most widely used reso head. Except for snare heads, I don't ever remember seeing any drum head that didn't say "batter" on it.....which really confused me until I got familiar with drum heads. FWIW- I use a Remo clear Pinstripe as a reso head on my 13x9 Maxwin Tom. It actually works pretty well.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 05-14-2014 at 08:31 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm sure in the earlier days when Remo Belli was making plastic Mylar drum heads, that Ambassador and Diplomat weighted heads were all that you could find......heavier heads like Pinstripes etc didn't come about until you had heavier players breaking heads on a regular basis. So if you look at photos and footage of earlier rock players as well as jazz players, plenty of them would have had toms with similar weighted heads as reso's as well as batters. And the clear ones didn't come until a bit later. Just my two cents.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Thank you all for your information.

User Info Menu

Probably the industry standard reso head!

all the best...