Thread: Played a gig as a 3 piece

User Info Menu

Default Played a gig as a 3 piece

Hi,
    Sorry to have a moan, but..
    since I have been on here, our band has changed.
    We have lost our lead guitarist...
    He left because he wanted to play other styles of music, and we are still friends, but he left us 4 days before a gig....
    Any way, we decided to try and do it as a 3 piece, we have lost a lot of songs because he was an awesome lead, and so all the songs with 2 guitars had to be cut...
    To top it all, we had to borrow a PA, last minute and it was a bit of a nightmare... I feel like we played bad, but the crowd seemed to like us ( I think they had never seen us before, so they took us as we were)

I still feel a little sad and a bit mad that he went, but hope we can keep going, and learn more stuff with just 3 of us for now.
    so yeah, not been a great 2 weeks feels better telling someone about it,
    Bridie
    'sniff'

User Info Menu

Default Re: Played a gig as a 3 piece

Pretty unprofessional to not play the gig IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Pretty unprofessional to not play the gig IMO.
    +1 he should have really covered the gig, if he'd have left on bad terms it would have been different, i'm sure you'll find someone else soon.

Don't get to down beat, it won't be the last time you get let down, try to make the best of a bad situation.

cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

The fact that you played without your ex-lead guitarist, with borrowed equipment and still received a positive response from the audience is a good sign.

Leaving at such short notice just before a gig is pretty crappy and you have a right to feel a bit P'd, but I'm sure you'll get over it.

User Info Menu

On the bright side...there's a lot of awesome trio's (past and present)...Rush, ZZ Top, ELP, Cream, Police, Green Day etc...to name a few.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Like what some of us say over here "She'll be right, mate!"

And what CC said:

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    The fact that you played without your ex-lead guitarist, with borrowed equipment and still received a positive response from the audience is a good sign.

Leaving at such short notice just before a gig is pretty crappy and you have a right to feel a bit P'd, but I'm sure you'll get over it.
    Unfortunately some people, whether as musicians or just the day-to-day folks in your life, will have a track record of letting down everyone, not just yourself and your band mates. Just have to say "Oh well, might be better off without them, so what?" and before you know it, you'll be the wiser without them. Just concentrate on the positive.....I know it's hard at this moment, but a lot of us can sympathise as we've been in similar situations too. These are the moments where you'll know where your strengths are. Accentuate the positives and put aside the negatives, and before you know it, you'll come across perhaps an even better player, who is probably way more reliable. You'd never know who's around the corner.

Oh, and don't feel bad.....this kind of thread and forum is exactly where you should "let it all out". Better out than in, I say. After all, only your brother and sister drummers know these things, right? Right.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

That is the music business.

I think it helps to have backup musicians. Sometimes singers get sick and can’t sing. You can call another singer or play instrumentals and fulfill the obligation of the gig.

User Info Menu

I feel really fortunate to be a member of this forum. The advice given in the above posts are so "on point" and I'm impressed by the humility and kindness we show to those who have suffered minor set backs. I can't add anything more to what has been said. This little "bump" in the road will only make you a stronger musician Bridie. You guys toughed it out on the last gig and made it work. Bravo!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I feel really fortunate to be a member of this forum. The advice given in the above posts are so "on point" and I'm impressed by the humility and kindness we show to those who have suffered minor set backs. I can't add anything more to what has been said. This little "bump" in the road will only make you a stronger musician Bridie. You guys toughed it out on the last gig and made it work. Bravo!!
    Agreed.
    I also agree that your guitar guy could have played the gig and still moved on.
    Poor professionalism to stand you up like that at the last minute.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Agree with the above posts...
    I hope you gtr player at least had a legitimate excuse for ditching other than he decided not to be in the band anymore.
    Don't know how old he is but that is kind of immature and unprofessional if the above mentioned is the reason for not playing the gig.... especially if he is a "friend".
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Like what some of us say over here "She'll be right, mate!"

And what CC said:

Unfortunately some people, whether as musicians or just the day-to-day folks in your life, will have a track record of letting down everyone, not just yourself and your band mates. Just have to say "Oh well, might be better off without them, so what?" and before you know it, you'll be the wiser without them. Just concentrate on the positive.....I know it's hard at this moment, but a lot of us can sympathise as we've been in similar situations too. These are the moments where you'll know where your strengths are. Accentuate the positives and put aside the negatives, and before you know it, you'll come across perhaps an even better player, who is probably way more reliable. You'd never know who's around the corner.

Oh, and don't feel bad.....this kind of thread and forum is exactly where you should "let it all out". Better out than in, I say. After all, only your brother and sister drummers know these things, right? Right.
    Thank you drumbledore,
    we have another gig lined up for 2 weeks time, we are hoping to feel better by then. I am just feel let down because we were good as a band and had fun.
    I shall try not to think about it too much!
    Bridie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kickinit View Post
    Agree with the above posts...
    I hope you gtr player at least had a legitimate excuse for ditching other than he decided not to be in the band anymore.
    Don't know how old he is but that is kind of immature and unprofessional if the above mentioned is the reason for not playing the gig.... especially if he is a "friend".
    He just messaged us the morning after a great gig, and said he was leaving, he was sorry, and wanted to play other stuff...
    He plays bass in another band, maybe they have been going on at him to leave and go with them, I dunno.
    He is just 17, but I am 13, and I wouldn't do it the way he did, but who knows why?
    I am going to take all the advice I have got from you guys, and try to forget!
    feeling a lot better now.
    Bridie

User Info Menu

1. Welcome to the real world

2. Congratulations on going through with the gig and playing without the second guitar !!!

You will do well in life
    Last edited by NewTricks; 05-16-2014 at 04:14 PM.

User Info Menu

It isn’t always band members that cause trouble either. Sometimes it is the venue owners, or bookers, or the people throwing the party, bride or groom.

I think it helps to get a deposit.

I remember one night I was scheduled to play a singles party at a restaurant. I get there and the place is closed. I telephoned the owner and she says “oh yes I cancelled the party and forgot to tell you.” If I had a USA $ 50 deposit then I keep the money, might have been profitable that night even if I did not perform.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NewTricks View Post
    1. Welcome to the real world

2. Congratulations on going through with the gig and playing without the second guitar !!!

You will do well in life
    This is what I was thinking, too. (corrected the typo's, tho)
    Signature here

User Info Menu

It's no fun when someone does that right before a gig. I've played in a lot of trios over the years though, and there is a lot to be said for that configuration.

You three did the right thing playing the gig and I'm betting that you sounded better than you think that you did. Hang in there!
    -Mike

"We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

"I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

"Snare drums happen."

User Info Menu

Bridie, just remember that you are 13, and growing as a musician. It's just as important to learn to play as a trio as it is to play in as quad. Each of the remaining musicians will learn to pick up some of the slack, and you'll all be better for it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thinking back, I have a similar story. This was my third time out with the last band I played with. The band had replaced their singer a few gigs before I joined. The previous singer went into semi-retirement and was taking a break from gigging.

We had to travel out of town roughly an hour to the venue. While we were setting up the singer called and not only cancelled that night but quit the band. She was having panic attacks and should have been on meds or was but wasn't taking them. Not sure and not dissing her. It was real to her. So here we are all set up ready for a 4 hour gig starting at 9 PM.

Fortunately we were playing in a town near where the previous singer lived and was planning on coming down to see the new line up. He ended up singing for us that night. Got paid for it and we came off like nothing happened.

PHEW!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Thinking back, I have a similar story. This was my third time out with the last band I played with. The band had replaced their singer a few gigs before I joined. The previous singer went into semi-retirement and was taking a break from gigging.

We had to travel out of town roughly an hour to the venue. While we were setting up the singer called and not only cancelled that night but quit the band. She was having panic attacks and should have been on meds or was but wasn't taking them. Not sure and not dissing her. It was real to her. So here we are all set up ready for a 4 hour gig starting at 9 PM.

Fortunately we were playing in a town near where the previous singer lived and was planning on coming down to see the new line up. He ended up singing for us that night. Got paid for it and we came off like nothing happened.

PHEW!!!!
    Did you buy a lottery ticket the next day? Jeez, I would have....talk about lucky!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Did you buy a lottery ticket the next day? Jeez, I would have....talk about lucky!
    I never thought about it. Missed my op didn't I?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

trios are great. Problem solving seems easier with three for some reason. The fourth and fifth members are adding "wild cards"

An observation of mine over the years.

all the best...

User Info Menu

thanks every one!
    and the wages goes around better now too, it is split less ways

Bridie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bridie View Post
    thanks every one!
    and the wages goes around better now too, it is split less ways

Bridie
    Good one! Now that's what I call being positive.

User Info Menu

Sorry to hear that. I hope you find a replacement.

User Info Menu

As a 3-piece band, you are forced to become better to fill in the extra "space" that's been left by the absent guitar player.

Keep going. The last 3 piece I was in was a lot of fun.