Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would other musicians rate your drumming?

User Info Menu

Default Re: How would other musicians rate your drumming?

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Oh ok... gottcha!

My weakness in drumming as seen through another drummer eyes:

• Better "gig" wardrobe
    I knew those Daisy Duke shorts were gonna get you into trouble sooner or later!

User Info Menu

Better "gig" wardrobe
    Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I don't know about that. Rich is a pretty "snappy" dresser. But those drums on the other hand...

[IMG][/IMG]
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    Dude...back in the '80s, them Daisy Dukes were "in" man. What you did to my pic is just wrong man...just wrong...

Before:

after xsabers photochop:

User Info Menu

I find this picture frightening yet strangely arousing at the same time.....

User Info Menu

• Fills all sound the same as in not enough rudiments tied together cohesively
    • Inconsistant rim shots as in muffing a few during play
    • More showmanship as in smiling while playing, looking out at the crowd rather than always looking down or out in "space".
    • Better "gig" wardrobe
    Rich, I can relate to the list. I don't do rimshots, mainly because I do church gigs, but I have a very relaxed wardrobe, and I need to think about that more (are the shades working for you?). I also need to smile a lot more, and I have to have a larger variety of fills at the ready.

On the positive side, I have always had a pretty solid sense of timing, and playing with others has helped me to let go and "feel" the music. Learning to "feel" has probably been my greatest growth recently.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Oh ok... gottcha!

My weakness in drumming as seen through another drummer eyes:

• Fills all sound the same as in not enough rudiments tied together cohesively
    • Inconsistant rim shots as in muffing a few during play
    • More showmanship as in smiling while playing, looking out at the crowd rather than always looking down or out in "space".
    • Better "gig" wardrobe
    I wouldn't count any of these as weaknesses. When I hear a band I tend to lump it all together into... they sounded good or... not so good. If the band is grooving and I was enjoying my listening experience, then you were doing exactly what you needed to do. This, regardless of smiles, rudiments or attire!

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 05-22-2014 at 07:15 AM.

User Info Menu

On a more serious note, it is a really hard thing to get compliments and criticism and use it effectively. I think our mind tends to glorify the good and to dispute or explain away the bad. I have often posted that I video tape myself a lot. I think it is a fact that while playing, because we are enjoying and making every effort to be great, we tend to think we sound better than we are. So listening back and hopefully viewing it with that in mind I think it is possible to objectively view ourselves like a third party would. I have a very well trained sense of meter and still after playing as long as I have, I still catch a bass drum accent slightly ahead inside the beat which I totally did not hear at the time I played it. This weighs heavy on my mind of why I don't hear it while playing yet pick it out so easily on the playback. Weird science. Maybe this is a little off the OP's original floor plan, but I don't think other musicians can pinpoint stuff like this as well as I can do myself. And the fact I have to do it by listening to a playback is interesting, and I think more valuable to me than any general off hand compliment or criticism I may get elsewhere.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    (are the shades working for you?)
    Bob, I had a friend who worked for the WWE as a promoter and he would always tell the wrestlers that wearing shades creates mystic, even better if worn indoors. He took one look at me and said that I needed to wear shades when I'm behind the kit day or night. I don't know if it's working for me but I do like the fact that nobody can see my bloodshot eyes.

Here's a few fellas that wore shades indoors:

1978 Blues Brothers horn section:

ZZ Top

User Info Menu

I'm never sure what's worse...criticism coming from egotistical musicians with their own host of musical issues....or compliments pouring in from people so drunk they wouldn't know great playing from lousy playing. I've learned over the years to take things with a grain of salt.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    I'm never sure what's worse...criticism coming from egotistical musicians with their own host of musical issues....or compliments pouring in from people so drunk they wouldn't know great playing from lousy playing. I've learned over the years to take things with a grain of salt.

all the best...
    I'll take the compliments from drunk patrons, they have bought more booze therefore I'll get paid more.

User Info Menu

the drunker they are the more CD's they buy

im down with that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    There you have it.

I'm not Steve Martin.
    I know who you are and Im not telling . Oh by the way thanks for the tees lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I'll take the compliments from drunk patrons, they have bought more booze therefore I'll get paid more.
    ha ha... how do you sleep at night?!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    ha ha... how do you sleep at night?!!

all the best...
    I dont, I work the night shift.