Thread: Evans or Remo, which heads for new kit?

User Info Menu

Default Evans or Remo, which heads for new kit?

Hi Folks,

I am just getting back into kit drumming after a 10 year break.

I have a 6pc Tama Superstar Hypderdrive kit with sizes 22x18 bass drum, 10x6.5, 12x7 mounted toms, 14x12, 16x14 floor toms and 14x5.5 snare drum.

What Remo or Evans batter and resonator skins would be best all round for a 60's/70's/80's rock sound in a pub/hall environment without using microphones.

I know this is down to taste but to replace all the heads is a big outlay so would like to get a reasonable setup.

Cheers.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans or Remo, which heads for new kit?

You cant lose with Remo emperors over ambassadors

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by myk View Post
    You cant lose with Remo emperors over ambassadors
    This.

I've used single ply ambassador coated for years. I have a difficult time even thinking about using anything else.

User Info Menu

I bought a used birch Superstar 6.5 x 14 snare recently (from a Hyperdrive kit). I spent the afternoon trying out different coated heads. I tried Evans G2, G1, HD Dry, Remo Ambassador and a single ply Aquarian (don't know what its called. The HD Dry was awful - sounded like slapping wet cement with a spade, didn't like the G2 much. The G1, Ambo and Aquarian all sounded good to me.

User Info Menu

Whoa! Why only Remo or Evans? Aquarian is where it's at? Go check out what they have on their website. They even have sound samples of several different heads for you to listen to. Generally, they are cheaper than the others, and they seem to last longer too. There are several DC members here that will back me up on this. Nothing but Aquarian for me!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads

User Info Menu

I think both companies make good heads. Aquarian makes good heads as well. I've always used Evans heads because the place I buy them from has more variety in stock and they are priced lower than Remo.

In conclusion, you can't lose using either.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I am thinking a 2ply coated over a single ply clear reso of any brands mentioned would be the way to go.

For that particular kit... birch I assume... personally I would try Remo coated emps over clear ambs.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

I would start with standard, well tried, combinations and then go from there.

For a classic rock sound, I've never ventured too far away from the coated G2's over clear G1's from Evans but any two ply coated head over a single ply clear will do a similar job. For more attack, you may want to switch to a clear version of the same batter head.

But, in the end, you simply have to try out different heads until you find something you like. And then you find your tastes change and the journey starts again!
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

For that 60's, 70's, 80's rock sound without mics........... Remo black dots ( cs )

User Info Menu

I'm with Big Fat Drummer G2 coated over G1's and they are reasnably priced.

User Info Menu

'60s and '70s music in a pub with no mics? Remo Vintage Clear Emps/Remo Clear Ambass.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    '60s and '70s music in a pub with no mics? Remo Vintage Clear Emps/Remo Clear Ambass.
    just the name makes sense
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I play classic rock and coated Evans & Aquarians last longer for me than Remos and sound better, too.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/