Thread: Reducing overtones with tape?

User Info Menu

Default Reducing overtones with tape?

Hey, i've read a lot about how to reduce overtones, whether it a be a home made solution or store bought one. Next trip to guitarcenter ill pick up some moon gels but I wont be going there for a while.
    So my question essentially, what is a good home remedy for overtones especially on snares. Ive heard painters tape and duct tape which is what i'm gonna be trying (painters tape) but what should I exactly do with it? Stack stips and make a thick patch like piece? Should I put it on the batter or reso head?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Reducing overtones with tape?

When I used to do this, this is how I did it. No longer do it though. All of my drums now sing as they are wide open:

Duct tape folded up in about a 1.5 inch square and taped on to the batter head with another piece of duct tape.

User Info Menu

nashua 357 gaffer tape...black \m/

done

User Info Menu

Sweet thanks guys, ill be trying this when I get home

User Info Menu

Painters tape a piece of napkin or paper towel. Duct tape is too sticky and can leave a goo, hard to remove mess.

User Info Menu

Popsicle stick

User Info Menu

Take a pair of scissors to an old head and make your own zero ring.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Almost any hardware store has self-adhesive backed weather stipping - 1/8th to 1/4 inch width...comes in 3 or 4 foot rolls for about 5 bucks. A strip or two about 1 inch long will work similar to Moon Gel and will stay on the drum when you put it in the soft or hard case and still be there when you set up again. Simple and cheap
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

If you're in a jam and you don't have any tape, use your wallet. It has just the right amount of weight (if you're not broke) in it to kill some overtones.

User Info Menu

I currently use a pencil eraser held in place with a small piece of regular selotape tape. Turn the tape around your finger - sticky side out. Remove tape from finger, place on edge of snare - put eraser on top of tape. Works well - any tape residue comes off easily with soap and doesn't leave oily stains on head.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Take a pair of scissors to an old head and make your own zero ring.
    What is a zero ring? Is it a circle of something placed on top of the head? or is it fitted under? One thing I don't have a shortage of is used heads - I would like to try this out.

User Info Menu

Some do, I choose to tune and dampen without tape on my instruments. I use moon-gels sparingly but have been known in the past to apply a 2-3" wide piece of white terry cloth, under the batter heads, for sets staying in the studio.
    Last edited by MileHighDrummer; 05-30-2014 at 03:22 PM.
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

I use Green Gizmo Goo. Similar to Moongels, but doesn't leave a residue on my coated heads. Also use it sparingly and according to situation. If I'm miking my kit, I'll use it, if no mics then I let them ring wide open.

User Info Menu

There are countless ways to muffle or control overtones. Internal/external mufflers.. etc.
    As mentioned above, a cut piece of an old head layed on the drum. Many products called O-rings, RemO's, Richie Rings, Zero rings all are similar to a circular cut piece of mylar to set on the head.

Last edited by Olimpass; 05-30-2014 at 05:51 PM.

User Info Menu

Sometimes on my snare drum I'll use one of these clip-on mufflers:

The great advantage with this is that playing live in an unmiked situation, if say I need a little more 'cut', I simply turn the wing-nut and the felt pad is raised off the drum head:

"...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    When I used to do this, this is how I did it. No longer do it though. All of my drums now sing as they are wide open:

Duct tape folded up in about a 1.5 inch square and taped on to the batter head with another piece of duct tape.

I used to do this also but with a small folded up piece of paper towel under the duct tape. I like you also let my drums sing wide open now.

User Info Menu

I tried lots of different tape ideas but didn't really like any of them. Some stayed on the drum head one day before I took them off. Maybe I want different sounds every day, I dunno. Maybe I hear things differently every day.

User Info Menu

a good way to use the tape (duct) is to have one end on the edge of the batter head and the other taped to the side of the shell. This way you are actually pulling the head a bit. guaranteed change.

I used this method in the studio for our latest disc recording soon to be out and had great results.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I shared this before, but these are just regular window gels that stick on your window. I use them as " moongels ". Got them from the dollar store, cut them up ( I know you're not supposed to destroy the American Flag ) and they work just fine. Small side note, don't use the red on coated heads. They will stain them, but if you don't mind, then be my guest.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    What is a zero ring? Is it a circle of something placed on top of the head? or is it fitted under? One thing I don't have a shortage of is used heads - I would like to try this out.
    They are both. Someone posted some pics of some different brands. You can make your own easily enough. There are several types/brands of heads that have those rings built in on the underside. I use one called Powerstroke 3 by Remo on my snare and kick. When and where I muffle my drums I prefer to use rings instead of tape or gel. Those work just as good but i don't like how the tape looks.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

I have used tape in the past I like the wallet idea I just saw that recently on the FB thread from Vic Firth. But now I just get a pack of the Evans E-rings easy to add and take off and they do a great job IMO.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kindadinosaur View Post
    Hey, i've read a lot about how to reduce overtones, whether it a be a home made solution or store bought one. Next trip to guitarcenter ill pick up some moon gels but I wont be going there for a while.
    So my question essentially, what is a good home remedy for overtones especially on snares. Ive heard painters tape and duct tape which is what i'm gonna be trying (painters tape) but what should I exactly do with it? Stack stips and make a thick patch like piece? Should I put it on the batter or reso head?
    They have "Online" sales as well as in-store sales. You might have to pay a bit of shipping though but probably not much more than gasoline would cost to drive there.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

BackStreetDrums Guest

I know this thread is about a year old, but just more FYI.

Any hobby/fabric store, like Joann's, carries wool felt material...usually a yard for less than $3.00. Make your own felt strips.

User Info Menu

Install an internal muffler at least on snare

all the best...

User Info Menu

I used moongel for years then decided to get EC2 with edge control which is basically a ring built into the head. I have them on all my toms and on the snare I have EC frosted with reverse dot.