Thread: practice pad

User Info Menu

Question practice pad

Okay i got this idea drom my dad and i am wondering if anyone knows if this exists. A harness that u put a practice pad on where the snare would be. thatway u can do all the marching steps and play without the loud drum and the cost of a nice snare drum
    MARCHING BANDS RULE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wilddrummer View Post
    Okay i got this idea drom my dad and i am wondering if anyone knows if this exists. A harness that u put a practice pad on where the snare would be. thatway u can do all the marching steps and play without the loud drum and the cost of a nice snare drum
    I think I've seen something out there like what you're suggesting but if not why not buy a cheap/used snare and put this on top of it?

http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-50.html

User Info Menu

I think hes talking about like a real feel pad, having some mounts to it, to a harness, so you can get used to marching

Not a bad idea, but if you want the true thing, you should put a ring around the bottom so you know how far your knees can go, and make it heavier, so you dont get used to carrying maybe a pound and a half max, and being able to bend your knees all up, then get on drumline and be stuck with heavier drum and no leg room

User Info Menu

Hey this is really stupid but that never stopped me before. How about a practice pad (one with a frame) attached to a 5 gal. bucket. Drill holes for the homemade straps you'd make (rope?). To make it the correct heavy-ness toss something in the bucket.

hmmmm nah, lol
    Just because it's old doesn't mean it's not just as good now as it was then.

User Info Menu

toad thats a great idea thanks but i want 2 use a harness
    MARCHING BANDS RULE

User Info Menu

well, it would probably work, weight the bucket first though, if you want a real snare simulation

User Info Menu

One of our drummers with the Army reserve band made one. Used a sabre saw and cut two circles (the size of the drum head diameter) out of 3/4 in plywood, He screwed about six 1" X 1" slats, between the two circles to to space them (for the height of the drum), an eye bolt to hook the harness to, through one of the 1"X1" slats along with a leg harness off an old drum that was falling apart. attach a drum pad to the top and your good to go. You could easily bolt wieght to the bottom plywood to similate the actual weight of the drum you march with if you wanted to.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

cool thanks=)
    MARCHING BANDS RULE

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    One of our drummers with the Army reserve band made one. Used a sabre saw and cut two circles (the size of the drum head diameter) out of 3/4 in plywood, He screwed about six 1" X 1" slats, between the two circles to to space them (for the height of the drum), an eye bolt to hook the harness to, through one of the 1"X1" slats along with a leg harness off an old drum that was falling apart. attach a drum pad to the top and your good to go. You could easily bolt wieght to the bottom plywood to similate the actual weight of the drum you march with if you wanted to.
    now that's creative... with instruments as expensive as ours, it's what drummers do.