Thread: How do you make drum covers?

User Info Menu

Default How do you make drum covers?

As the title say. Obviously you have to record both the drums and the backing track somehow. And you have to sync the sound to the footage.
    Can someone please share a "how to"? I'd really like to know.
    Camera tips, what to use, software, recording gear etc.
    System of Power

User Info Menu

Default Re: How do you make drum covers?

I've never made a drum cover, or even tried to. But as far as I understand, you set up a camera and record yourself playing along to the song through headphones. Then you import that video, along with the original mp3 (or whatever file format) into your video editing software and play with the positioning of the audio track until your recorded drum part lines up with the original part best as you can get them.

If you're micing the drums, set up your audio interface as you would normally to record drums. You can start the recording of the audio and video at different times as you line everything up at the end in the video editing software. Once you're done, just save and import this audio into the video editing software as you would with the video and mp3 and line everything up.

You can probably get away with no mics at all. Obviously it wouldn't sound super great, but it does the trick if you don't want to spend money on a mixer and several microphones.

For audio recording, I personally use Acid Pro. I don't know what most people use or what the best is. Pro Tools seems to be popular. And for video editing, Windows Movie Maker has always worked fine for me and I know it supports layering audio tracks with video tracks.

I hope that made sense.
    Last edited by Mike_L; 06-01-2014 at 04:11 PM.
    Drums:
    Ludwig Classic Maple
    Tama Starclassic Performer

Cymbals:
    20" K ride
    20" K custom dry ride
    16" A custom crash
    14" New Beat hats
    14" K custom dark crash
    Ensembles
    Oregon Crusaders (DCI) 09 - bass 4
    OC Indoor (WGI) '10 - Snare 3rd place PIO
    OC Indoor (WGI) '11 - Snare PIW FINALIST!
    University of Oregon marching band '09 '10 '11 - Snare

User Info Menu

Domenic, a DC member, has posted two videos on YT regarding this subject. Here's the links.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaPOP0tNoGA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvGtdvgd2MY
    "it is what it is"

"Dont rent anything you cant afford to burn in the backyard while drunk." - ThePloughman

User Info Menu

Dom rocks!