Thread: Double bass speed help

User Info Menu

Default Double bass speed help

I'm the drummer of an Avenged Sevenfold tribute band. I'm fairly smooth and proficient in double bass playing, but in playing Sevenfold, I lack the speed needed to accurately play the material. I use a Gibralter dual chain drive double pedal on a single bass.

Any advice, tips, tricks, etc would be helpful. Trying to think outside the box

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double bass speed help

Although that is a fairly sluggish feeling pedal, it's 99% you when it comes to fast double bass.

Get a metronome and see how fast you can comfortably play without errors. Try and increase a little each day, or week. Maybe 5 bpm, or 10, or 3. Whatever you can handle. If you falter, go back to a speed you can do and finish your practice for the day with that. It's not a fast process, but if you do it right you'll eventually get where you want to be. I'd suggest practicing faster so that when you play live, you're not pushing your limit.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

A metronome and some woodshedding. Practice is the only thing that makes you better.

User Info Menu

Practice time. Are you a drummer for an Avenged Sevenfold tribute band? Oh, yeah. I think you've mentioned that a couple of times.
    Last edited by inthpktplayer; 06-02-2014 at 04:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Derek Roddy's got youtube video lessons on how to build up speed and endurance for both feet and hands. Lesson #2 (hands) and lesson #3 (feet). He explains his practice method at the start of lesson #2 and the lesson continues to #3. He talks about the metronome as mentioned by Marko in his post. Enjoy!!