Thread: zoomatic

User Info Menu

Default zoomatic

This might be a bit of a long shot, but I'm looking for either a Slingerland zoomatic strainer, or the press fit knob that goes on a zoomatic strainer. I'm expecting to hear crickets on this one, but let me know if you can help out.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Default Re: zoomatic

Is yours broken? Can it be fixed? If so, I found this somewhere else and copy and pasted. If your looking for the press fit knob for the Zoomatic, they can be found too.

Quote:

"The problem with the Zoomatic Strainer is that people over tighten it! It is a very functional and nice design for a strainer, but when it gets over-tightened there is a pressure fitted washer that begins to loosen and eventually break or separate from the tension knob. This renders the strainer useless since it needs that to keep the tension on the snare wires."

"Slingerland decided to add what I have heard referred to as a "Dummy Tab" to the back of the strainer to stop people from over tightening, but all that did was allow for people to tighten into the wrap causing a depression in the finish!"

"The fix is actually very simple and all you need is a spring! The spring in the picture is 3/4" long and 1/2" wide. Other spring sizes will work and you can even take a tension spring from a lug casing and cut it with wire cutters. A looser spring is better because it needs to have flexibility. A stiff spring is not the best way to go. Experiment with the spring to get the desired affect. The washer needs to be similar in size to the original so it holds the strainer arm in place."

End quote~

Here's a pic of the Zoomatic press on knob. Does it look like yours?

User Info Menu

As far as I can tell, the pressure washer is just fine. There's a slight indent in the shell where the dummy tab pressed against the drum when a previous owner overtightened it. I really just need to be the knob, but I never see them for sale. Probably because they got swept up with the dust and cigarette butts when they were lost in bars and music halls years ago.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    As far as I can tell, the pressure washer is just fine. There's a slight indent in the shell where the dummy tab pressed against the drum when a previous owner overtightened it. I really just need to be the knob, but I never see them for sale. Probably because they got swept up with the dust and cigarette butts when they were lost in bars and music halls years ago.
    I found them for sale by merely typing in "Zoomatic press on knob". You might want to do the same?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I found them for sale by merely typing in "Zoomatic press on knob". You might want to do the same?
    What search engine are you typing that into? I haven't had the same luck.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    What search engine are you typing that into? I haven't had the same luck.
    Google

User Info Menu

Found one on eBay. It should be here by the end of the week.
    Mmm... Saturns.