Thread: bass drum reso

User Info Menu

Default bass drum reso

is it mandatory to have a good bass drum reso?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lafirin View Post
    is it mandatory to have a good bass drum reso?
    No, but your bass drum would really sound horrible, without a reso head, you loose all the sustain, resonance, that deep punchy bass, basically the heart and soul of a kick drum.
    I strongly suggest both heads, to get maximum performace out of your kick.

User Info Menu

It all depends on thesound that you want, Lafirin. If you want resonance, you need the reso on the bass. Many people cut a port in the reso, which will reduce the resonance some, but it allows for mic'ing, and if I understand it correctly, it allows for a deeper thud.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

EMAD's are sweet bass resos, so are the Aquarian Superkicks. And it's defiantely not mandatory, but some reso heads allow you to control muffling from the outside rather than sticking a bunch of crap inside the drum itself. The mic ports really help too as far as recording and sound carrying go.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

cool thanks alot guys. so if i understand this correctly.. if I get a hole in my bass drum Ill get less reso and more "thud"

User Info Menu

Pretty much yep, although I prefer a solid head on my kick, honestly it gives way better bass, sustain, and depth to the kick. But if you are planning on micing your kick, you will need a hole in your reso head, but that is the only reason I would ever have a hole in my reso head.

User Info Menu

i like no hole and only the single ring from the superkick1 batter for muffling. if i play somewhere with a crappy sound man i carry a stock ported pearl masters head and an evans eq pillow. tuning of the reso head is a big factor in bass drum sound.

User Info Menu

I totally agree with you funky. I also picked up the Evans EQ pillow for my kick. I had a blanket in there for a while, but my drum sounded different every time I set up because it would move around and I could'nt get it back to the same spot without taking one of the heads off. Velcro is a great thing...
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads