Thread: Mapex M Birch vs Saturn? Any thoughts?

User Info Menu

Default Mapex M Birch vs Saturn? Any thoughts?

I have been playing a 6 piece Mapex M Birch kit for about fours. Very happy.
    I just found a used 5 piece Saturn kit (not Saturn IV) and can get it pretty inexpensively with a trade-in. I'm excited about it but not 100% sure and could use some feedback, particularly from Mapex fans. Please let me know what YOU would do.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mapex M Birch vs Saturn? Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    I have been playing a 6 piece Mapex M Birch kit for about fours. Very happy.
    I just found a used 5 piece Saturn kit (not Saturn IV) and can get it pretty inexpensively with a trade-in. I'm excited about it but not 100% sure and could use some feedback, particularly from Mapex fans. Please let me know what YOU would do.
    What are you trading-in?

User Info Menu

How much would you have spent in total by getting the saturns?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Sorry Bernie, I've just re-read your post - I thought you were asking the difference between the two kits as you were intending to get one or the other and intended to trade your current (mystery kit in) - just realised you meant should you trade up from M Birch to Saturn. My bad. Sorry buddy.

User Info Menu

Saturn, no comparison, IMO.

User Info Menu

Depends on the wood. I have a Saturn IV. I love it. I had the old mars before, not sure which version of the m series you have. But they both sound good. Comes down to which you like betterand if you can afford
    Mapex Saturn 6 pc
    14x6 mapex stainless steel snare
    Zildjian,Paiste, Meinl
    DW5000 td4 double pedal

User Info Menu

saturn hands down

User Info Menu

I have an M Birch & it's great, but the Saturns are another level! If it's a good deal it's certainly worth it.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

The Saturns are certainly a level up from the M series. That's not to say the M's are bad by any stretch; I used to have a V Series that I got sounding great despite the entry level wood and hardware.

In terms of this deal, it'll all come down to cost. What drums do you have now? What are the specs on the Saturn?
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Saturn's no question.
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Yeah I agree with consensus, M- series is good but Saturns are much better IMO this is a no brainer.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Thanks, all. Looks like Saturn wins out. I know they are top line pro models, it's just that when tuned up well, my M Birch set sounds great. I'll trade up, though. Cheers!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie View Post
    Thanks, all. Looks like Saturn wins out. I know they are top line pro models, it's just that when tuned up well, my M Birch set sounds great. I'll trade up, though. Cheers!
    How much are you going to be into the Saturns in total? with what you've spent on the M birch + the additional you spend on the Saturns?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I currently own both. I love both. Saturn though is a step above. Way above.

User Info Menu

I would have to say go for the Saturns - I'm presently attempting to buy either a used Starclassic or Saturn shell pack and my choice will be decided by whichever comes up first that I can afford. I was very tempted by the Meridian kits but I don't want to go through the stepping stone process and buy again when I have more cash.

User Info Menu

If you're happy losing a tom, then go with the Saturn. They are MUCH nicer. They have a 10 split lug snare where the M Brich has 8 one piece lugs. The floor toms have 8 lugs where the M Birch has 6. I believe the bass drum has more lugs as well. Also, you get the ITS on the bass and floor toms. The badges look a lot nicer too. If they are the ones I think you're describing, then they are maple shells with two inner walnut plies. They've got some killer tones.

I glanced through a few replies... The Mars/Mars Pro, M Series, M Birch and Pro M (Meridian Birch, Meridian maple and Armory to be complete) were all completely different midrange kits. The closest of these to the Saturn would've been the later year Mars Pro that had the same maple/mahogany/maple shell as the Saturn Pro of the time, and ITS. M Series and Pro M was North American maple. M Birch and Meridian birch were, I believe, the same all birch shells (maple veneer finish). I think Meridian Maple was Asian maple. The later Pro M may have been as well. Saturn have been some comnination of maple and mahogany or walnut, with the exception of the birch/walnut that was added to the line later on before the Saturn IV came out. At any rate, the Saturn line has always been a pro level kit, along with Orion and any Black Panther drums.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I used to have a Pro M maple kit that I really liked. It got replaced with a Saturn, and I have not had a single moment of regret. Saturns are amazing drums.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I just got a meridian birch via trade. It sounds great! I was really surprised. My other kit is a custom built maple kit with re rings and Keller shells. The meridian birch has a bass drum that delivers a fat but boomy sound. I'm very content with it. Not to mention I acquired 14 cymbals!
    Last edited by Anthony96; 08-01-2014 at 09:06 AM.
    Drumming isn't a job, it's a way of life...

1.)Yamaha Power V Custom 12,13,18,24
    2.)Custom built with Camco 20" bass and 12 and 14 toms -Keller shells
    3.) Ludwig Keystone in Turquoyster 22/12/16
    *1971 Ludwig Supraphonic Snare 5x14
    Cymbals:
    14" A New Beat hats
    16" Masterwork reso. crash
    18" A. thin crash,
    20' A Custom Medium ride, 2
    2" A Swish Knocker
    Pearl Eliminator double pedal, Pearl and DW hardware.

User Info Menu

I'd definitely go with the Saturn, but I would try to keep existing set if possible. My reasons for each:

- Birch is easy to get sounding good, and is very mic friendly if you ever need to record it
    - You already have a feel for your existing kit, and could use it as a backup gigging/practice/teaching kit
    - M birch's aren't that easy to find anymore, making them valuable to Mapex collectors if you one day decide to part with them

- The saturn has the ability to interchange between bass mounted toms, and a virgin kick for rack/stand setups
    - The saturn sounds deeper, cuts well, but is still not overly boomy, another easy to dial in kit
    - The saturn holds tunings quite well
    - The saturn will hold it's value through the years, regardless of it's availability
    - The saturn has a unique tom mounting system which installs behind the lug, not on the rim - this is a much stronger support point, gives way to unrestricted resonance, and much easier tom removal when compared to other types, such as Gibraltar's DSS holders(you have to redo tuning every time you take a tom off with these)
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments