Thread: Iron cobra pedals + demon drive shaft = slow?

User Info Menu

Default Iron cobra pedals + demon drive shaft = slow?

I'm new here and I did not see an introduction section so I guess I'll dive in with a little background and a question.

I have a set of Iron cobras that the universal joints are getting a good bit a of play in. So I've been thinking about getting either a demondrive or trick replacement shaft. I'm not sure if there is much difference as I've heard that pearl licensed the design from trick.

anyway I played a show last Saturday and a buddy who played in one of the other bands that night had a set of demon drive pedals. He let me try his drive shaft with my pedals so I could see how I liked it before buying one myself. The response of the slave pedal was vary sluggish and I had to switch back to my IC shaft after the first song. Latter that night I looked at the universal joints more closely to see if they where sticky, but everything seamed to move and work how it should. I had also let the same buddy use my pedals and he said he was a good bit faster with the IC's than his DD's. So I'm wondering if the demon drives are naturally slower or if maybe I needed to adjust the pedals and/or spring tension to accommodate the difference in the shafts? I don't want to spend the cash on a DD or trick shaft if I can't get it to work better than it did the other night.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Iron cobra pedals + demon drive shaft = slow?

Why not get a Tama replacement?

User Info Menu

I just took a look at the linkage from my first gen iron cobras and the attachment points on the master and slave. I'm not sure if it's the same on your ICs or not, but the attachment points to the pedals are flat on two sides and round on the rest. The have to be attached to the linkage in a particular orientation for the slave to work the way that it's supposed to. I'm not entirely if the demon linkage is compatible to that type of set up. I've got a demon, but it's the single, so that's probably not going to help.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    ... and this.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I was hoping to upgrade from the IC shaft because they don't have bearings in the universal joint. The Demon drive and trick have bearings so they should last longer.

User Info Menu

Weezy
    My IC have D shaped attachment point and the demon drive clamped vary securely. Now that i think of it the demon drive shaft has a round female end and two set screws meaning two possible clamping positions. Maybe i had the flat on the master pedal misaligned with the flat on the slave pedal that could change the spring tension. hope that made sense. I wish I had more time with the demon drive shaft to trouble shot but a gig is not the best place to mess with that kind of stuff.

User Info Menu

The pic is of the demon drive shaft with the two set screws. So the other end of the shaft being a mirror image of this end maybe I had the the flat on the slave pedal horizontal and the flat on the master pedal vertical when they should have been matched.
    Last edited by Shamani; 06-16-2014 at 09:41 PM.

User Info Menu

There is a reason why you dont buy ford parts for a chevy.

User Info Menu

iv seen some axis shafts work wonders on an old pearl eliminator

not sure if i would trust the trick shafts

User Info Menu

Thanks for the input guys!

An Axis shaft is on the list of possibilities now. I had ruled them out because I didn't think they had bearings in the universal joints (so I was worried they would wear out like the Iron cobras have), but after a little research it sounds like when they develop slack you can tighten the universal joint back up.

Does anyone on here have experience with the demon drive shaft on Iron cobra pedals? I'm still curious if it has worked for others.