Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project

User Info Menu

Default Project

I was at work last week & someone asked if I was interested in buying a kit. The bloke's neighbour was having a clear out of her garage & wanted to get rid of it.
    He didn't have a clue what make the drums were, but thought it was a junior kit & she only wanted 20 for them. I thought I might as well take a chance for that price, as I could do them up for my grandkids to play on eventually.
    What I got was an (admittedly) cheap beginners kit (Percussion Performance), but it was full size rather than junior - 22 x 14 Bass, 16 x 16 FT, 13 x 11 & 12 x 10 RT's, 14 x 6 metal snare.
    I've decided to treat it as a project, as if I ruin them I won't have wasted much money.

The rims on the FT & snare need replacing, as do the bass claws, but the rest of the chrome work was in good shape & has actually cleaned up really well!
    The heads were all knackered, and as I have lots of spare heads I tried some on the 2 rack toms, & they sound not too bad.
    I shall be rewrapping them all & doing what I can to make them look & sound as good as they can get.
    Today I bought some Tung Oil & some clear Yacht Varnish (to protect the finish I give it) & plan to try to complete it over the next couple of weekends.
    I'll keep you updated as I go on.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Default Re: Project

Looking forward to watching the progress. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Good price either way.
    What wrap are you going to use ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Good price either way.
    What wrap are you going to use ?
    I was going to use some old comics & do it on a theme, but I've decided to go with something that will match the bass reso I will be using.

Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Not sure what 20 converts to, but it sounds pretty reasonable. I buy all the cheap sets like that I can find. Even if the shells are junk, the lugs, tension rods, hoops, FT legs, etc. are well worth it. Especially if you like to mess around fixing up old kits.

Looks like a fun project. There are Internet retailers that can print custom graphics on wraps for a very reasonable price.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Cool! Looking forward to watching this develop!

User Info Menu

Looks like a good project to me. And the price is definitely right. One good thing about starter kits is the wraps are often not glued to the shells - just held on with a few strips of tape. You could just lightly sand the shells and sand away the grimy areas from the FT and use clear varnish if the shells look good - I doubt they would be firmly glued to the shells like high end gear which saves you a lifetime of sanding to remove old glue. It would look a bit odd with that bass reso head. Like an anarchic gentleman's club.

Sorry for diverting slightly - can reso heads be spray painted? The reason I'm asking is I have a project kit and the bass reso is black with a very large white ddrum logo - I'd like to spray it matt black but I'm not sure if the paint would flake if I sprayed it and I don't want to resort to stickers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    Looks like a good project to me. And the price is definitely right. One good thing about starter kits is the wraps are often not glued to the shells - just held on with a few strips of tape. You could just lightly sand the shells and sand away the grimy areas from the FT and use clear varnish if the shells look good - I doubt they would be firmly glued to the shells like high end gear which saves you a lifetime of sanding to remove old glue. It would look a bit odd with that bass reso head. Like an anarchic gentleman's club.

Sorry for diverting slightly - can reso heads be spray painted? The reason I'm asking is I have a project kit and the bass reso is black with a very large white ddrum logo - I'd like to spray it matt black but I'm not sure if the paint would flake if I sprayed it and I don't want to resort to stickers.
    The wrap is just held on by a piece of double sided tape at either end of it. Comes of very easily. I'm going to wrap & varnish it rather than stain & varnish it.
    The black reso heads can have the logo removed with nail varnish remover or even WD40.
    As for painting them, I'm sure there's a thread on here somewhere about that. I seem to remember someone painting the Vetruvian Man on a drumhead.
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    The black reso heads can have the logo removed with nail varnish remover or even WD40.
    As for painting them, I'm sure there's a thread on here somewhere about that. I seem to remember someone painting the Vetruvian Man on a drumhead.
    I've just tried with WD40 and the logo came off with a bit of grafting. They were actually painted - I thought they were stuck on but couldn't get the edge to lift! Looks like you're right - they definitely can be painted - just need the right paint I suppose. Thanks for the tip.

User Info Menu

I've painted several bass reso heads. I used Krylon Fusion (made for plastic) and it worked very well. You can't even scrape the paint off with a knife. The extra layer of paint also acts to dampen the sustain. I painted a clear Remo Ambo head on both sides (satin white) and it made a real Thump Cannon out of the bass.

It doesn't work as well on the batter heads, however. It started to flake off after about a year. I'm guessing there just too much stress on the batter head for paint to stick very long.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

As we've had decent weather today I managed to get outside to sand & apply tung oil to the 12, 16 & 22.

12 before tung oil applied.

22 after oiling.

Finished.

A question for those who have used tung oil before. Do you have to do a second coat? Also, will another coat make it darker or make no difference?
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

I have no idea about that oil, but it looks really good so far!

User Info Menu

I love how that looks on the inside finish. My drums are an unfinished maple interior, and you inspire me to apply a little tung oil to them.
    From what I have seen/read online, tung oil will darken the wood only slightly with further coats. What happens is the oil penetrates deeper into the plies with repeat coats. I could still be wrong, though. Did a really quick search.
    Keep the updates coming.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Correct, after the first coat, the oil will not darken wood any more. I usually do 2 or 3 coats to make sure it really soaks in to the wood. You can buy tinted Tung oil or add dye to it if you want to darken the color more....or just use stain.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Nice project Dodeska!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Nice project Dodeska!
    Thanks PB.
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

OK, so I got the 16" floor tom done today. I'd ordered a couple of posters from an online store, and they are actually in a nice matte finish, so I'm undecided now whether to put a coat of varnish over it.
    I have a set of clear Emps lying around so they are on top, & some spare Remo UX on the bottom.

Just wrapped.

Hardware & heads put on.

Next to the Mapex VXB 16"FT I have set up in my attic - the "Inflammable Material" stickers are my homage to Stiff Little Fingers.

I'll be starting on the 12" & the bass in a couple of weeks, after my time away at a music festival.
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Finally managed to get the rest of the kit done.

Here is the 12"rt, 16"ft & 14" snare.

Finished off the Bass (22x14) this morning, so managed to get them set up, though I've just realised I forgot to set the snare up with them. Doh!

Last edited by Dodeska; 08-02-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

They look great. Nice work. What does the "A" logo stand for?
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    They look great. Nice work. What does the "A" logo stand for?
    It's the "Anarchy" logo - I play in a punk band so it's pretty commonplace!
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Holy cow what an amazing turnaround you pulled off with this kit. Very appropriate for a punk band! A true success indeed!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

They look great, but where did you get the posters and how tough/durable are they?
    Last edited by slinglander; 08-02-2014 at 07:57 PM. Reason: added text
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    Holy cow what an amazing turnaround you pulled off with this kit. Very appropriate for a punk band! A true success indeed!
    Thanks very much. It was pretty fun to do as well.

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    They look great, but where did you get the posters and how tough/durable are they?
    Thanks very much for that. I got the posters from an online store where you can get them made to custom sizes. It meant there was minimal cutting to do, just trimming off the overlap. The paper itself is thicker than a normal poster, with a matte finish, so it's pretty hardwearing. I was toying with varnishing it, but I'm going to leave them at the moment.
    We have a gig in a couple of weeks (where I'm providing the kit) so I shall take this one rather than my M Birch. That'll give it a good test!
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

There are custom drum wrap companies that can digitally print that pattern (per your custom spec) on pre-cut drum wrap. It's not as durable as a high quality wrap, but probably as good or better quality as the wrap that came on those drums originally. It's really not that expensive either. If you like the drums and plan on using them, that would be a great option.
    Plus, if you ever want to change the design or do something different, it can be removed without any issues.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 08-03-2014 at 12:08 PM.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I've used a few of those companies, easy install but I hate how they have to throw their logos on the patterns used on a wrap. I'd rather just look at the pattern without a name on it, I mean come on - I didn't go through the process of getting an original design made just to have it stamped like that. However, I will say it's an easy installation because of the adhesive they pre-apply though. Just turn the lights out, but the shell on a table with a small computer lamp illuminating the holes, and poke through with a screwdriver.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments