Thread: Potential new snare

User Info Menu

Default Potential new snare

I've had my eye on this snare for the month, gonna email the seller tomorrow for more info, and ask him to put it aside for me. It looks a bit rusted, but I always enjoy a good project in the winter!

The price is 1000 ZAR, which translates to just under $100us. Pretty good!

If anyone has any info on this drum let me know, been looking at a couple of vintage sites, looks like an Ajax 14 x 5, with original parts, from the 1960s.

[IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Potential new snare

Looks interesting. I am not familiar with Ajax.

User Info Menu

I know they made some cymbals in the 60's thats about it though.
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

Never heard of Ajax except for scouring powder, but a lot of drum companies have come and gone over the decades.
    Those lugs look a lot like the ones on my old '68 Sonor bop kit. Give em a light scrubbing with ultra-fine steel wool and they'll shine like crazy.
    I love the aged pearl finish. Wouldn't do much to that at all.
    Bearing edges are the key. Older snares tend to have their edges worn down a bit. Usually very reasonable to have them re-cut.
    The throw off looks like it's gonna be hard to clean, but I love the look of that mechanism.
    Good luck. Looks like she's worth closer to $50-75 US to me. I would try to talk him down a bit more, given the effort it's gonna take to make her presentable.
    Keep us posted!
    PS Big fan of die-cast hoops, too. Very nice.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks Johnny G, just got a mail back from the seller, he is gonna throw in a set of Evans Heads and a snappy snare, so that kinda brings it equal.

User Info Menu

For under $100, seems like a great deal......................looks like it would be a lot of fun to restore.

User Info Menu

Ajax drums were considered the "English Rogers".
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've been doing a lot of reading and researching, looking forward to getting my hands on this snare. The only thing bothering me is the slotted tension rods, I don't want to use a coin or my Leatherman to tune it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dodeska View Post
    Ajax drums were considered the "English Rogers".
    Yep, exactly. This was taken from a wiki article on Rogers drums:

"For the growing European market, Rogers drums were made in the UK by Ajax under licence from Rogers USA. The hardware was Rogers but the drum shells were supplied by Ajax from its UK production."
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Audiopat View Post
    Yeah, I've been doing a lot of reading and researching, looking forward to getting my hands on this snare. The only thing bothering me is the slotted tension rods, I don't want to use a coin or my Leatherman to tune it!
    I have two SONOR sets with slotted rods. Easy enough to find drum keys on eBay.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    I have two SONOR sets with slotted rods. Easy enough to find drum keys on eBay.
    This. I prefer the L shaped one with a regular key on one side and slotted on the other.

From a design point, it looks like a Gretsch knock off with the tear drop lugs, round badge, and diecast hoops.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Ok, quick update, I think I'm gonna let this one go, a buddy of mine is doing some distribution got Soultone cymbals, and there was an amazing deal on a 22" Custom Brilliant ride that I could not pass up. Absolutely beautiful cymbals, I will start a new thread about the experience.