Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the whole one tom trend?

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's up with the whole one tom trend?

I play a 2 up 2 down, but I do honestly think a 1 up 2 down or 1 up 1 down set looks awesome. There's just something about having that ride cymbal over the bass drum. But again I'd rather have that extra tom.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Simple -- I want my ride cymbal in the traditional position.
    During the course of a gig, I will use my ride cymbal three times more than a second rack tom...............easy.
    Here is my gig-kit in the conventional 1-up, 2-down set-up :

Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Simple -- I want my ride cymbal in the traditional position.
    During the course of a gig, I will use my ride cymbal three times more than a second rack tom...............easy.
    Here is my gig-kit in the conventional 1-up, 2-down set-up :

You are still playing with two toms though. Would you ever play with just one?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    Stop worrying and following trends, play what you like, not what people expect you to like. and more importantly, choose and play what the music needs.
    ^^This

I've got a 6 piece Cataline Maple kit (2up, 2down) with lots of cymbals, and I thought that the sun rose and set on the big kits. We've had quite a few discussions on the merits of the smaller kits, and it got me thinking about the times when space might be an issue, so I found a used 4 piece (1up, 1down). I enjoy playing both big and small. Honestly, what I prefer to play depends on my mood as much as anything else.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    ^^This

I've got a 6 piece Cataline Maple kit (2up, 2down) with lots of cymbals, and I thought that the sun rose and set on the big kits. We've had quite a few discussions on the merits of the smaller kits, and it got me thinking about the times when space might be an issue, so I found a used 4 piece (1up, 1down). I enjoy playing both big and small. Honestly, what I prefer to play depends on my mood as much as anything else.
    dead on pb depending on mood will change the kit. I know for me ill have my fullest but i will only use one rack tom and one floor tom,
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

its funny... people think endorsements means free drums.

User Info Menu

Play for the occasion not the looks.

I like the way I can play my ride with it over the kick drum, but I also like having two rack toms sometimes. So when I get my way I have my toms offset.
    Last edited by Zeta; 06-25-2014 at 01:06 AM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    Yep, too true.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Does it at least get you a discount?

Haha. ^_^
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumminchick View Post
    Does it at least get you a discount?
    Sometimes.

User Info Menu

This is usually what comes out to play, with the exception of adding a second floor (18x16)

User Info Menu

true but don't they normally mean good discounts on them (for the less popular) obviously your big drummers like neal pert get the dw drums handed to them. That or in chad smiths case for super bowl the kits they play on are not theirs and will be sold for a charity.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

I always have 2 up. Sometimes I have 2 down also. With one up I feel like something is missing. I do a lot of fills between the 2 up, and the snare. It's just not right with 1 of them missing.

User Info Menu

Still no clarification from the OP. 1 up and 1 down is not a revolutionary idea, that is for sure.

User Info Menu

I just set mine up as 1 up and 2 down last night because we are gigging with another band in a couple of weeks and thats his setup.

User Info Menu

Depends on the music you're playing, too. Example:How many high toms are needed for "Green Onions" or "Runnin' on a Dream?"
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    You are still playing with two toms though. Would you ever play with just one?
    I would be willing to try it. Even with 1up/1dwn, there are still some songs I never use my FT. When I do use it, I could just as easily divide the fill between the snare, one Tom and bass....at least for the type of music my band plays. When I think about it, I almost always start a fill on the snare anyway. Versatility and options are one of the things I like about playing drums.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I never said I thought endorsements meant free drums.
    Sabian AAX Xplosion crash 18"
    Sabian AAX Xplosion crash 16"
    Sabian AAX Xplosion hats 14"
    Sabian Vault Holy China 19"
    LP Ice Bell 7" (love it)
    Sabian AA 12" Mini China

User Info Menu

I think part of it is that a lot of indie music doesn't call for lots of toms, and those are kits that are influencing new drummers.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Last Saturday, my band hosted an all-day out door jam in the park. 4 bands showed up (not including mine) and several solo acts. I set up 2 drum sets; my small 4pc Maxwin and the 5pc Export kit (with lots of big cymbals) that I recently fixed up. I was worried about other drummers sitting behind my Maxwin kit and destroying it, but all was good. Not ONE other drummer went for the 4pc kit...they all sat down at the larger Export kit. After listening to them all play, my thought was, "those guys should really try a small kit". They were all good drummers (way better than me as far as speed & coordination) but the whole day was like a broken record. Every one played the same way; generic fills rolling down the 3 toms as fast as they can at every possible opportunity and crashing a cymbal at least every other measure. Very seldom did any of them incorporate the style or rythum of the song into the fills.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

You can have your up toms where you want them and still have your ride on/or over the BD.

The up toms are 2-14x10 and a 13x9. The 1 over the floor toms is 15x12.

Most of the time I keep the 14x10 and 15x12 over the FT's, and a 13x9 and 14x10 as up toms, with a 12x9 thrown in on occasion.

You have to mess around with different set-ups.

User Info Menu

Excellent pic. Rick. That says it all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Excellent pic. Rick. That says it all.

Thanks Lefty.

I've played with 5 up and 3 down, and could reach all of them with no problem.

This is 5 up and 3 down, and every 1 is within reach, and I don't really change my basic set-up at all.

I love trying things and it's killing me that I can't play for 2-3 more weeks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Every one played the same way; generic fills rolling down the 3 toms as fast as they can at every possible opportunity and crashing a cymbal at least every other measure. Very seldom did any of them incorporate the style or rythum of the song into the fills.
    You got some technically boring drummers out there, sounds like!

Rick, start back easy, maybe put "Wipe Out" on the back burner for a while!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Ever hear a really good drummer play around with Wipe Out? It's pretty cool.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!