Thread: Quick Paint Job

User Info Menu

Default Quick Paint Job

Just a few pics of a kit I painted yesterday. It is made up from separate toms - a 10, 12, 14 and 18 kick that were originally mixed colours. I can't claim it to be a restoration job as overall all the drums were in reasonable cosmetic condition - just a few scrapes on the laquer and some light rusting on the hardware. The lugs are all different but I've decided not to notice as it probably won't ever be used outside my home.

I got the drums with the intention of making a cheap jazz bop kit, but added the additional 10 as I am working my way through a couple of different instructional books and they are geared up for a 5 piece. I learn on the 5 piece and then remove the tom and modify as necessary for 4 piece.

I found an auto parts store selling off old cans of spray paint for 3 each so decided to go ahead. Overall I'm happy with the way they turned out - I would like to have been a bit more adventurous in my choice of finish but decided that given my limited D.I.Y capabilities I took the safe route. I originally intended to strip and either varnish or use a coloured stain finish that would show the grain of the wood but if I get fed up of plain white I have only painted the wrap so I can remove it easily. These are the pics -

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

User Info Menu

Default Re: Quick Paint Job

The white drums look great! You can now paint the lugs any color if you want to give your drum a truly unique look!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Audiopat View Post
    The white drums look great! You can now paint the lugs any color if you want to give your drum a truly unique look!
    Or get matching hard wear there are some websites that have them in different styles and colors
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

looks good! nice work
    Pearl Export EX matte purple with black hardware 10, 13, 14, 22

14" Zildjian Constantinople hats
    22" Zildjian Constantinople ride
    8" Zildjian Constantinople splash
    20" Zildjian Constantinople ride/crash
    18" Zildjian Constantinople riveted ride/crash
    16" A. Zildjian Thin Crash (now a wall decoration)
    18" A. Zildjian Thin Crash
    14" Avedis Zildjian crash

User Info Menu

Thanks for the comments. I doubt if I will do anything to it with regard to buying hardware as I intend to go as low cost as possible. As the kick spurs are mounted at 90 degrees I tried turning the drum upside down and playing with the 12" tom snare stand mounted as a 2 virgin kick. The centre seam of the wrap is just visible but you have to be pretty close.

User Info Menu

I like it! only a drummer would notice that the lugs don't match---I wouldn't hesitate to gig with that setup as a 2 up 1 down---snare, hi-hat, and a couple of boom clamps on the tom arms for a crash and a ride---and you have a badass travel kit or a nice bedroom kit that doesn't take up half the room!

User Info Menu

I'd say that's the best and cheapest way to get a matching kit to play on. Good work.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Nice job crispycritters! That white looks great!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!