Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DW good price?

User Info Menu

Default DW good price?

Hey everyone

do you think this is a good price? £1050 inc spare heads.

i'll more than likely have to get rid of my Mapex Black Widow Kit too.

cheers Mark

Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW good price?

Seems like a decent price, not a must have price and I certainly would not part with a Black Widow to get it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Are you related to bish ... ?

User Info Menu

At the current rate of exchange, that's $1782.46 US dollars.

IMO, I wouldn't pursue that unless you absolutely want a set of DWs more than anything, they aren't very available where you are, and you are in love with the finish.

DW makes a great-quality product; however, it wouldn't be worth it to me unless it maybe had a really nice snare to go with it.

User Info Menu

i dont know why i really hate unpainted hoops on modern kits ...just looks cheap

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Seems like a decent price, not a must have price and I certainly would not part with a Black Widow to get it.
    This! That black widow kit is, in my view, not worth parting with to get that 3 piece. But, that might be because I'm not a big fan of green finishes and the black widow sounds as good as it looks!
    PDP | Black Panther | Sabian |

User Info Menu

Haha Mark, So you saw thaton Gumtree, or the FaceBook buy sell and trade group, Looks like a good kit for a good price. If I had the cash and needed another kit I'd go for it!
    "I don’t think a drummer should have to show off to get noticed. You’re like the conductor of a train. You keep the train on the tracks – let everybody else worry about everything else.” -Nathan Followill.

Grear List
    Cymbals: Zildjian K
    15" Light Hi Hats
    14" Hi Hats
    18" Dark Thin Crash
    19" Dark Thin Crash
    22" Light Ride
    Drum Kit: Gretsch Catalina Maple
    12/14/20
    Snare: Ludwig
    Epic 14"x5.5 Soon to be upgraded.

Keep the Peace!

User Info Menu

he's letting me have bags, 6 month old DW 9000 Pedal - 3 month dw 5000 snare stand and bags too.

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

it seems a really good price to me judging at what they go for on ebay and gumtree, DW's over here are still pretty pricey, this is easily the cheapest one i've seen.

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    he's letting me have bags, 6 month old DW 9000 Pedal - 3 month dw 5000 snare stand and bags too.
    That does sweeten the deal. I'd say gett'em if you lik'em. Besides the price, I've never heard anyone complain about DW Collectors Series drums (which I'm assuming these are).

User Info Menu

Great price when it includes the pedal, snare stand, and bags. Is that a 20" bass drum? Thanks~

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Great price when it includes the pedal, snare stand, and bags. Is that a 20" bass drum? Thanks~
    22" bass, i reckon i could get £200 for the pedal and snare stand.

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    22" bass, i reckon i could get £200 for the pedal and snare stand.
    Go for it!!!

User Info Menu

Looks like the date code is 2001... which I am pretty sure those would be Keller shells... IMO, I think the DW's with Keller shells sound much better than their own manufactured shells.

However, with the conversion rate mentioned porkpieguy, if that is accurate... that would seem a little high to me... at least for a US market.
    Gretsch Renown RN1 ~ Silver Oyster Pearl

User Info Menu

keller shells..or a back widow

your kidding right ?

User Info Menu

Black Widow kit is just as nice if not nicer in my opinion.

These are older DW's, as itchie pointed out the hoops aren't paint all the way around. Thats a corner that was cut, and is usually not cut on anything higher end than intermediate stuff.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Is it a Collectors or Performance series?

I think the price asked isn't too high considering the extra hardware being thrown in, but I would expect the shells and hardware to be pristine for that price - as its 13 years old and one of the pictures is from a gig its obviously been used over the years. Is it scuff free?

Quite honestly I'm not enthralled by the green finish and I don't know if trading kits would give you an improvement in sound quality.

It may be worth checking the price of used kits on sale in the US including shipping and taxes before jumping the gun, I doubt if you would get one for a lower price overall but you may have a larger choice of finish, it probably wouldn't be too good if you went for it just because its the only affordable DW available and end up wishing you owned a different version.

User Info Menu

Seems like an okay price, i don't know, just my taste i would look for a kit that has more drums than just two toms and a bass, but that's just me. It's a decent price though.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post

These are older DW's, as itchie pointed out the hoops aren't paint all the way around. Thats a corner that was cut, and is usually not cut on anything higher end than intermediate stuff.
    But, if it was a great-sounding drum kit, would a drum hoop stop you from buying? Not me, but I can see your point.

Also, it might be worth it to see if this is a Keller shell set or an in-house DW shell set. I've read so many things as to when DW stopped using Keller shells. I've even heard that if you buy a shell set from early 2001, it's Keller; however, if you buy a kit made later in the year, it's a DW shell set. Who knows, and I guess the question is does the OP care whether or not it's a DW shell set or a Keller? (Even on the DW Wiki page, the word "Keller" isn't even mentioned.)

Either way, I'm confident that these would be Collector's series because the performance series didn't come out until 2010.

Also, what will this DW set do what your current kit won't do? Just something to think about...
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 06-25-2014 at 12:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Ok, ok, ok.

I just watched some videos of the black panther/widow kit. While DW makes a great kit, I'd probably keep those black widows.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Black Widow kit is just as nice if not nicer in my opinion.

What do you mean by this exactly? They look like standard chrome hoops to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
    What do you mean by this exactly? They look like standard chrome hoops to me.
    Look at the inside of the kick drum hoop. It's natural wood while the "outside" of the hoop is black.

User Info Menu

I must be in a minority. I like that finish. Is it like satin or something?

Having a vague idea of what the price of percussion gear is like in the UK, (and depending on what it is and who you're dealing with, we don't get it cheap here either), if I was the OP I'd go for it. But any reason why you'd have to get rid of the Black Widow kit? For the sake of room or to raise the funds? You going to have a snare for that kit a little bit later or just use one of your Mapex's?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Just today I sold a 4 pc finish ply kit, 20/10/14/16, for $1350 in excellent condition if that gives you any idea.

A stain finish with a fade is worth more but I wouldn't pay over $1500 for what you have listed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by porkpieguy View Post
    Look at the inside of the kick drum hoop. It's natural wood while the "outside" of the hoop is black.
    Oh ok. I like that look.