Thread: questions about buying electronic drums

User Info Menu

Default questions about buying electronic drums

hey all,

i'm looking into buying a new electronic drum kit, and have a few questions regarding what to look for and what to buy.

- which brand? from what i've read, it looks like yamaha vs roland.

i want to get the most realistic sound/feel, and i'm guessing that roland is the better option? (mesh pads vs rubber pads)

i'm also interested in upgrade ability; for example, adding more toms, cymbals etc; again, i've read that roland wins here.

my budget is around $2,000 (i'm flexible on the price)

- what are my options for sound output?

i likely won't be using headphones a lot, so i'm trying to figure out what i can use to output the sound.

i talked to a drum sales guy, and was told i can use a typical home theater audio receiver, though i've read that this isn't ideal for sound quality.

i see there's also drum monitors/amps, i'm guessing these are meant specifically for sound output for electronic drum kits?

my preference is to have the best sound quality.

any help is greatly appreciated!

User Info Menu

Default Re: questions about buying electronic drums

I'd try to find a set of Roland V Drums. I've played several sets, and I'm actually getting ready to record with a set next month.

Mesh heads are ideal, but if you can't get a set with mesh heads, at least try to get a "snare" with a mesh head.

If you can buy used, try this b/c you can save a bundle of cash.

If it were me, I'd at least give these a shot if you plan on playing live.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_Nz5zBRChI

Sort of sounds like they have levels up too loud for the vid, but you get the idea.

I've not played any, so I can't vouch for them, but they look interesting.
    Last edited by porkpieguy; 06-26-2014 at 07:31 AM.

User Info Menu

I get the best sound through my powered PA speaker. The sound through my bass amp is pretty good too.

User Info Menu

Yeah, you can't go wrong with Roland, up to you to feel whether you like mesh, or are happy with the rubber pads, I actually like how the rubber pads feel. Apart from Roland, or Yamaha, Alesis makes some solid kits that are a bit cheaper than the two big guys, but anything lower than a DM8 has a bit of a poor module. The DM10 module is pretty much the same as a Pearl RedBox.

As for sound, I'm with 8beat, a powered PA speaker, preferably with a 15" woofer, will sound adequate. Do NOT use a guitar or bass amp, edums sound terrible through them. A lot of people use JBL Eons, or the Mackie...umm, can't remember, think it's the Thump. I've used a Laney powered wedge that also sounded great.