Thread: Black Beauty throw-off, snares and heads

User Info Menu

Question Black Beauty throw-off, snares and heads

I recently purchased a 2014 Ludwig Black Beauty snare drum. I was interested in replacing the P85 throw off with a P86 but just read that a P86 DOES NOT retrofit to the newer Black Beauty. Can anyone verify this? I was also interested in replacing the snares with Puresound Pro 30's and lastly want to replace the Ludwig heads with Remo Diplomat on resonant and Ambassador on batter. All my tom's are Remo Ambassador on resonant and Emperor on batter, which I really like. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Sammybear; 06-26-2014 at 09:31 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Black Beauty throw-off, snares and heads

Hey Sammybear welcome to DrumChat. I own a 2013 Ludwig Black Beauty and here's the measurement for the throw off center to center. The P86 and the Trick throw off should fit:

Ludwig P86 Millennium Chrome Snare Drum Throw Off/Strainer:

Fits most Ludwig snare drums. Includes all the mounting parts for a wide variety of Ludwig wood and metal snare drums, vintage and new. Replacement throw off for the Supraphonic snare drum.

Distance between mounting screws is 2.5".

Last edited by late8; 06-26-2014 at 09:45 AM.

User Info Menu

If it works, I think you will like the P86. I put one on my 79 Supra and it works and looks great.

User Info Menu

I wanted to do the same thing with a Black Magic I got a couple years ago. But couldn't find a match and didn't want to go the adapter route.

Somehow the problem I was having is no longer an issue because the knob no longer turns and the the lever is stuck. Thats fine with me because now the whole thing doesn't fall apart anymore when I play it. It's actually a pretty good sounding drum.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thanks, late8! Good to be on board and thanks a ton for the illustration!!!!!!!!That was awesome and kind of you to do so!

Thx to others for input as well!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sammybear View Post
    Thanks, late8! Good to be on board and thanks a ton for the illustration!!!!!!!!That was awesome and kind of you to do so!

Thx to others for input as well!
    you're welcome Sammybear!