Thread: Bargain Black Label Paiste 2002's, A Free Sabian, And Soon....A Fibreglass Set!

User Info Menu

Default Bargain Black Label Paiste 2002's, A Free Sabian, And Soon....A Fibreglass Set!

PART ONE:

Sure did well last night.

Spoke to a guy who I've bought cymbals from before, George. What a great guy. He does a number of trips overseas each year with his work, and although drums are strictly a hobby of his, he does pretty well getting his hands on all sorts of gear, a lot of it vintage or classic stuff. As he knows I'm a bit of a vintage Paiste nut (I bought my old riveted 22" Paiste Sound Formula 602 from him last time), he told me that he had a few surprises for me after I said that I was after a Sabian B8 Pro ride for one of my students (that one he had advertised for AU$30, so I was on the phone fast with him, knowing too well that that one would be snapped up within a couple of days, knowing that up-and-coming drummers are always looking for bargains here in Sydney). He had also advertised a vintage 18" 'Black Label' Paiste 2002 Crash, going for $150, which for me was also a great bargain. So, off I went to his place after I had done lessons here.

So there I was. Hadn't seen him for a while, so we had a good chat as he was showing me the gear that he was selling from his basement. Jeez there was great gear he got his hands on. As I was trying out the Paiste and Sabian on their stands, he said "Check this out". He showed me another Black Label 2002 Crash! This time a 20" version. My eyes bugged out, naturally. He said that the two of them came with a kit that he bought a while back which he then turned around and sold once he had cleaned it up a bit, so he kept those two crashes. I asked how much he wanted for that one too. He said "Ill do the both of them for $200, plus the Sabian for another $30, how's that?" Well yes, of course! Couldn't say no to that, are you kidding me?

Paiste 18" Crash:

Paiste 20" Crash:

The ink on the stencil-style "Paiste" logo is a bit better on this one:
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-02-2014 at 03:12 AM.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bargain Black Label Paiste 2002's, A Free Sabian, And Soon....A Fibreglass Set!

PART TWO:

Think that was just it? Oh no, far from it. This guy also had got his hands on a pair of vintage Istanbul made K Zildjian hi-hats, which measured 15" in diameter. Typically of hi-hats of that era, the centre holes are smaller in diameter, and you wouldn't be able to fit them on a modern hi-hat clutch, unless you expanded the holes....but if you did, you'd devalue theirworth on the vintage market should you decide to resell them. They sure sounded sweet. He also had a pair of pretty old US made Zildjian cymbals, both 18" with no visible markings apart from the Zildjian stamp pressed into the metal, so neither of us knew which was a ride or which was a crash, but after fooling around with them as we were hanging out chatting, we felt the one with a slightly bigger bell was a bit more ride like. Actually both would have suited a minimal bebop set, crash and ride them both, and the hi-hats would have fitted right in. I asked what else did he have in their cases. George opened a few up to show a Rogers Holiday set finished in Black Onyx. Unlike one or two that I've seen around the place, this one had no 'tobacco stain' aging of the light segments of the wrap, looked as fresh as the day it came out of the factory. The bass drum hoops had a little wear, but not much that you'd notice. Plus the hoops still had the strips of Black Onyx wrap intact and in great condition still. Sizes were 22x16" bass", 12x8", 13x9" and 16x16" toms, plus a chrome over brass Powertone snare, all in fantastic condition. Oh, he was keeping that one (can't blame him), but he had one more surprise for me....

A late 70's Pearl wood/fibreglass composite set, finished in black, with the original Pearl pedal, the original cymbal stands with no sign of rust on them, a 10 lug aluminium snare (I'm pretty sure it's aluminium...sounded great though) together with the original snare stand, also in great condition. The only thing not original is the hi-hat stand (some no-name brand....but I might pair this kit with a Rogers hi-hat stand that I've seen around the place). One thing about this kit......it's loud! Damn it cuts, but yet surprisingly it has a nice rounded tone to it too. The last time I played such a 70's Pearl set was at a school that I used to teach drums at....those kids had no idea of the kind of set they were lucky to play on. That one too was also finished in black, only the bass drum was smaller (20", as opposed to the 22" on this one I was looking at). So after playing around with this set, the Sabian ride and the two Paistes, we worked out a deal.

$500 for the lot. So....$30 for the Sabian B8 Pro Ride, $200 for the two vintage Paiste 2002 Crashes, and $270 for the Pearl Wood/Fibreglass kit. I put $70 down for the kit, which I'll pay off after a few weeks, and took the three cymbals.

And then.... a tap on the shoulder.

"Oh, have this crash....it goes with the Sabian Ride. (It was a 16" Sabian B8 Pro Crash.)

"Have it? Like for nothing?"

"Yeah. The $500 you're paying couldn't have come at a better time. I got hit with a $400 parking fine this morning and the wife was at me for it. So now I can pay it no problems, and she can get off my back. You came in at just the right day. Besides, you're a good guy, and you really know your gear. Those cymbals and drums couldn't have gone to a better home."

'Twas indeed a good evening. If that wasn't a case of good luck, I don't know what is.

Some more pics:

The freebie Sabian:

The $30 one:

Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-02-2014 at 09:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bargain Black Label Paiste 2002's, A Free Sabian, And Soon....A Fibreglass Set!

Part Three:

The size stamps inside the bells of the Paistes:

Yep, $230 for that lot. Wait till I get the drum kit pics happening!
    Last edited by Drumbledore; 07-02-2014 at 03:19 AM.

User Info Menu

WOW score central right here! Well done mate!

User Info Menu

Thanks Drumstix. I still have to pinch myself to remind me I didn't dream all that, lol.

User Info Menu

Woah! That's a steal right there. Lucky you man, great find!
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Nice score!

And a $400 parking ticket??? Wow! Wherever he parked, I hope it was worth it, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Wow! That's quite a score. Congratulations Drumbledore!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ladies and gentelmen, we have a winner.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Nice score!

User Info Menu

Well done, DD!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Congrats DD

User Info Menu

Wow, congratulations! That is a steal if I ever saw one...

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Yep, my muso mates have to agree I struck gold with that lot.

User Info Menu

just need the 2002 ride and the hats now and you can be like me

User Info Menu

Nice pies dude.

Acoustic & Electronic:
    Pearl Prestige World Series WLX 1988
    Tama Swingstar 1983
    Tama Superstar Hyper-Drive (Birch) 2007
    Ludwig Acrolite Snare 1976
    Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5x14" 2021
    Pearl Sensitone Elite Aluminum 5.5" and 6.5" Snare
    Pearl COB Custom Deluxe [Gladstone] (75-76) Snare
    Love Drum Co. Hammered Steel 5.5" Snare
    Roland TD-1KV

Paiste
    Accent 8"

Paiste Signature:
    6", 10" Splash
    14" Dark Crisp Hi-Hats
    14" Sound Edge Hi-Hats
    16", 17", 18",19", 20" Full Crash
    22" Symphonic Med-Heavy (use as a Ride)

Paiste Formula 602:
    22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride

Paiste 2oo2:
    22" Ride
    16" Crash
    8",10" Splash

Paiste 2oo2 Big Beat:
    15" Hi-Hats
    19", 20", 21" Big Beat Multifunctional

Paiste Sound Formula:
    16" Crash
    20" Full Ride (Frankenstein)

Paiste Twenty:
    16" China

Paiste Alpha (original Swiss made):
    12" Splash

Paiste PST7:
    Medium
    16", 18" Crash
    20" Ride
    14" Hi-Hats

Sabian:
    XS20 18" China
    AA 14" Fusion Hi-Hats

User Info Menu

Each pic, I was like...oh wow...Woe!...ohhh man! Nice Score DD! Beautiful!