Thread: Someone just Broke Meter Now What?

User Info Menu

Default Someone just Broke Meter Now What?

How many of you guys have experienced this "awkward" situation and what resulted from it?
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Someone just Broke Meter Now What?

I broke wind a few times. A little different but similar.

By broke meter, I'm assuming you mean they lost the time in the song? This probably happens more than you think. You simply find your way back and keep on truckin' (an old 70's phrase). The better you get (or they get), the less it will happen.

User Info Menu

Not meaning they flipped out of one time signature to another....like 4/4 to 3/4 or whatever?
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

It's music, not brain surgery, play your part and let the other musicians do the same. If that doesn't work, find an other group of people to play with (or eliminate the offender).
    Steve
    "When I can match Buddy Rich, lick for lick, I will get a rack."
    Ludwig Super Classic

User Info Menu

I might not play for a few moments while the band figures out what they are doing.

User Info Menu

drum solo

User Info Menu

You keep on keeping' on as simply as possible (no fills)and hope the offender figures out how to jump back in.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Our guitar player would "get lost" on certain up tempo songs. Actually it was fairly rare, but it happens.

We would stop like if it were a pre-planned guitar solo, and after 15-20 seconds, I would throw a couple of fills out there to give him a reference point and bring it back in.

This is what drummers do.

I was at a concert back in the late '70's with a band that was/is considered at the top of the food chain. The drummer has since been deified, yet his timing was so bad on a fairly simple song that they had to stop and start over again. Happens to everybody.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Our guitar player would "get lost" on certain up tempo songs. Actually it was fairly rare, but it happens.

We would stop like if it were a pre-planned guitar solo, and after 15-20 seconds, I would throw a couple of fills out there to give him a reference point and bring it back in.

This is what drummers do.

I was at a concert back in the late '70's with a band that was/is considered at the top of the food chain. The drummer has since been deified, yet his timing was so bad on a fairly simple song that they had to stop and start over again. Happens to everybody.
    Duuuuudeee you're gonna leave us hangin'? But, it sure does. I've messed up big time. The big thing about playing music I've found is to keep going...most people don't know you messed up. Sometimes you can even make your mistakes sound like legitimate parts of the songs if you play your cards right...errr, I mean drums!