Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who likes deep snares?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Who likes deep snares?

I own a 7x14" Yamaha Oak Custom snare. I love deep snares too...

User Info Menu

I much prefer snares deeper than 5". I had a piccolo snare, 13 x 3, that was just too thin sounding to be of much use. But my "power piccolos", 12 x 8 and 13 x 7, are fabulous. Than there's my 16 x 7! Love deep snares. Had to buy an extra low stand to accommodate.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
    I gotsa 9x13 mahogany. Love the sound
    Absolutely stunning! Some day I will have a stave constructed snare!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    I hardly get to play them because they're so dang loud, but I own a 14x10 Maple DW collectors, 14x8 Birch DW collectors, and a 14x8 DW performance chrome/steel. I love the sound, but I'm about keeping that stage volume lower if I can.
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with the statement about deeper snares being louder. Any snare is only as loud as you play it. The 13 x 3 piccolo that I recently traded away was the "loudest" snare in my arsenal due to the extreme highs inherent in the sound. My deeper snares have more body to the sound so it ends up being much easier to control the dynamics. In fact, my "quietest" snare is my 16 x 7! Go figure.
    Just speaking from experience. Never met a decent snare that I couldn't get to sound out above the amps. They're all loud when you start the backbeat at your ear!!!
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

User Info Menu

I forgot to mention my Pork Pie in patina brass 13x7

User Info Menu

My oldie but goodie(my ludwig 12 lug)

User Info Menu

Whats not to like

User Info Menu

In the past I have found as much as I liked 8" deep snares, the front house rarely did them justice so I stopped owning them. But yesterday I bought a 1952 Slingerland Concert King, which is a 15X8 3 ply mahogany shell with thick maple re-rings. It was set up kind of bad, wrong skin on batter, maybe why I got it pretty cheap, $120. It is all original except the throw off, the beaver tail lugs are immaculate. Going to restore it before I play it. You know I will post pictures.

Last edited by signia fan; 07-13-2014 at 08:24 PM.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Drummermd, how about some background on that huge Ludwig. Totally badass looking.
    is it old, restored, updated?? Love those huge knobby tube lugs.

User Info Menu

yes sir! thank you. I bought it back in 1980, I think ludwig . made them off and on through early 80's .I think they were called concert snares, Maple/ I did some custom work on it,it came w/di cast hoops and bowtie lugs. Way too heavy so I lightened it up/ tube lugs were custom made.alumn. with stainless steel threaded inserts.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 07-14-2014 at 12:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Ahh yes, makes sense now. I have seen lots of those with the die cast, coliseum model maybe? The single flange hoops really set it apart and make the package happen.

User Info Menu

I've always loved deep snares and have owned several over the years......the only ones I currently own are a DWPS 14 x 8 and a Pearl marching snare

One day I will get a coliseum.............Always wanted one, but never did

recently, I re-fell in love with my old 14 x 5 supra...................even more than my BB............weird huh?

User Info Menu

I bought a 14x8" walnut stave with maple inserts a few months ago because I was going for that Paramore Riot! tone - but no matter what I seem to do to that snare, it just rings for days. It's a beautiful snare, but I only use it in the studio and have to muffle the crap out of it.

Bought an Evans ST Dry head for it the other day to see if that can tame it, but I don't have very high hopes at this point. If I was playing live, the ring would be great - but I hate ringy snares on recordings :(

User Info Menu

If you tune low, you're going to get ringing - no way around it. You either have to crank it up or keep it low & fat and use moongel.
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

User Info Menu

I find that my deep snares respond well to the Evans Genera Dry heads. I get a warm, fat tone.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    If you tune low, you're going to get ringing - no way around it. You either have to crank it up or keep it low & fat and use moongel.
    It's very ringy no matter how it's tuned.

I have to put like 3 moongels on the head to get rid of the annoying tone of it

User Info Menu

I use a couple moongels when I tune loose to get the fat whack sound with little ring or sustain. If I tune higher I usually don't need any. Try a 2-ply head or the Evans dry you have might cut down on the he ring and sustain.
    Last edited by G-man; 08-05-2014 at 07:24 AM. Reason: .
    Gretsch Renown
    Ludwig Supraphonic
    Zildjian
    15”, 16”, 18” K Dark Thin
    16”, 18” K Sweet
    16" A Custom EFX
    20" K Custom Dark Ride
    22” 60’s A Ride
    14" 50's Thin hats
    14” K Sweet hats

stickks Guest

Love deep snares, particularly 14x7. I have a new custom Q Drum Co 14x7 Brushed brass snare being made for me with wood hoops. Made from plate brass. Should be pretty sweet.