Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New stick suggestion

User Info Menu

Default New stick suggestion

For a while i've been wanting to try different sticks but there is so many where to start. Currently i play with vic firth 2B nylon tip. I am willing to try other brands but am happy with how long vic firths last. I just bought a signature stick from promark and because i figured i like the drummers style and his playing so i thought give them a try but they are already chipping. I like to play rock and metal so what would you guys and gals suggest to try.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: New stick suggestion

I mostly use Vic Firth 5A or 5B Nylon tipped sticks. The reason I switched to nylon tips is I was chipping too many of the others. I've tried ProMarks and Vater sticks and have really liked them. On the other hand, I'm not a very hard hitter at all. Guess it just all depends on how you play and what you prefer as far as feel goes.

All the regular sticks I have chipped, I either use them on a practice pad or they make excellent kindling for a fire.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I use Vater Chad Smith Funkblasters. I think they're pretty much 5A size & wood-tipped. I play punk & (I think) hit quite hard, but I've not broken one yet.
    Mapex Armory - Photon Blue
    Mapex VXB kit - Transparent Black
    Mapex & Pearl snares
    Paiste Alpha & RUDE cymbals
    Remo & Vater

User Info Menu

I play Vater 5B. They're pretty durable, and the tip doesn't chip very often.
    Happy Drumming!

IS15

User Info Menu

Go into a music store and try out a whole bunch. That's the best way to find out what you'll like.

User Info Menu

Pro Mark 747's nylon tipped. 16 1/4" long Japanese Oak. A little on the heavy side. I hit kinda hard and they still last forever.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Zildjian 5A Nylon Tip Dip Stick (rubber grip). Very durable and I never drop one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    Pro Mark 747's nylon tipped. 16 1/4" long Japanese Oak. A little on the heavy side. I hit kinda hard and they still last forever.
    These sound most appealing to me out of them all so far keep them coming.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Pro-Mark's Shira Kashi Oak sticks will outlast any other stick on the market ...hands down, especially when it comes to "Power Rim Shots" and those small cymbal edge cuts.
    I buy 6 pair of sticks per year and play 120 gigs per year and usually all 6 pair
    are still in decent playable shape but Im not playing Metal.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

i recently switched to vicfirth ROCK wood tip, great sticks really nice tip on them

seams to work for me

User Info Menu

I play a lot of rock and metal, and my favourite sticks are the classic 5B with a nylon tip from either Vic Firth or Vater. They're reasonably durable, the right weight/length for me, and the nylon tip gives a nice sound on the cymbals.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    i recently switched to vicfirth ROCK wood tip, great sticks really nice tip on them

seams to work for me
    i used to use them actually but with nylon tip. i liked them until i got the classic ones which make me weary of ordering them online.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I have a pair of these as well and I can vouch for their toughness. But ya, they are a little on the heavy side.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

I've been thinking about it for awhile and going to give the Zildjian Absolute Rock's a try. I'm a little hesitant because not sure I want to hit my cymbals with those.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

If you have never used the Zildjian Dips before, be careful about blisters.

I would also vote for the Pro Mark oak sticks as well.

User Info Menu

Do you guys and gals even care about tip shape? Some sticks have a round shape, others have a barrel, oval or teardrop shape.

User Info Menu

ya thats where the actual sound comes from I'm mixed between a teardrop and oval. round shape is more for concert snare.
    Sabian!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 8beat View Post
    Do you guys and gals even care about tip shape? Some sticks have a round shape, others have a barrel, oval or teardrop shape.
    I really don't care to be honest. I use the shoulder mostly. I haven't been getting any volume out of my kit at least not the kind I want so I've been playing with butt ends and the difference is incredible. The 22" ride is really turned up now. I may as well get the Absolutes.

Tip preference is oval though.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

My favorite sticks are the ProMark Shira Kashi Oak 2B. These are really heavy sticks, and they come with either wood or nylon tips. I am a small person and not a heavy hitter, but there is something about the heft and feel of these sticks that I love. IF you like 2Bs anyway, try the ProMark oaks, and I think you'll like 'em. Alternately, the first stick I ever bought was the Shira Kashi 5B, which is a little less in diameter, but still has that very nice oak heft. I'd try both of these.

Lastly, I have a pair of the ProMark 747 Neil Peart sticks already mentioned. These are oak also (hard to tell I like oak, huh?) but much thinner, but again, more weight than a similar hickory stick. I like these, too, but the thicker ones are more my 'style'.
    Last edited by cabasner; 07-22-2014 at 01:25 AM.
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Well, I guess I'll throw in my 0.2... I prefer my Vic Firth Dave Weckl sticks... the brick red ones. I've used them for years. Wood tipped, well balanced... the top is like a rounded square. I love them. I never get blisters, nor drop them.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of Regal Tip nylons, 5A, Rock, JC. Need that smaller diameter(.58"-.53") but love the balance and stick coating.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I know that some of you use 2B's for drum set but, IMHO, a 2B stick is a concert stick. The neck is too shallow for much flexibility. If you are chewing up the neck, this might be part of the problem. I would use a 5B and stay with nylon if you are rough on the tips. I personally use wood tips but I don't play that hard. You might also look at maple which is actually harder than oak and lighter. All this depends on what kind of music you are playing and how you are hitting. More rim shots will chew up any kind of sticks. My $.02.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zickos View Post
    I know that some of you use 2B's for drum set but, IMHO, a 2B stick is a concert stick.

Agreed. My opinion is also that 2B is too clunky for set use... but then again, I've got smaller hands. I always preferred a smaller stick for set. Helps me with variety, dynamics and control.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

i like 7a nylons. recently switched to novas. good quality and good price.

User Info Menu

I have used 5B for most of my career. They make so many brands and models it is impossible to keep up with. Look at the racks of sticks at a guitar center. The prices are ridiculous for a single pair of sticks. I refuse to pay $7 or $8 for a pair of drum sticks.
    I have ordered bags of 5B sticks from eBay that were just as good and worked fine for me.
    On the bottom shelf of the stick bins at guitar center you can get 10 pair for a very reasonable price in different sizes and on sale sometimes. I just got a bag of 20 nice sticks for less than 2 pair of those boutique sticks.
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1980 Silver Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1960 Gold Sparkle
    Ludwig Classic Maple vintage 1968 Champagne Sparkle
    Premier Resonators vintage 70's Polychromatic Red
    Slingerland 60's Vintage. Vintage Sky Blue Pearl
    Slingerland 1972 "Avante" Red
    Camco Chanute vintage. 1973 Silver Sparkle
    Gretsch Catalina Jazz. Blue Pearl
    Sonor Safari. Black Galaxy
    Rogers Londoner V vintage. 1977 Silver Mist
    Rogers Script Badge 9/72 1972 Black Nitro
    Beverley of England 4 piece vintage. Red