Thread: What's with kick mounted tom mounts' positioning?

User Info Menu

Question What's with kick mounted tom mounts' positioning?

I mean why are they positioned, for the most part, to the front (reso) of the kick and not more towards the back, where we drummers sit? I've never seen anybody prefer mounted toms farther away from them! I'll bet drummers who prefer virgin kicks hang their toms closer to them than they can with kick mounts.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's with kick mounted tom mounts' positioning?

Somebody's trying to start trouble. But seriously, I know what you mean. I don't think that I could get my rack tom where it is if it was mounted on the kick.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

My best guess as to why front positioning is popular has to do with two major concerns, reach and angles. If you have longer arms it might be easier for you to hit something further away, rather than closer - where you'd bend your elbow more. Anglewise, if it's a little further away(but not overly so) towards the front, you can take that tom and get it real steep(around 45 degrees). Back when I first started out, I loved those super deep 80's angles cause it was super easy to reach the tom for me(i'm 6'4, long arms), but in doing so it would raise the clearance of any nearby cymbals, such as my crashes and splash. If I had shorter arms i'd prefer them mounted driver's seat, instead. Whatever works for the player.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

From what I've noticed, some manufacturers place them in the middle...or make them slide on rail. My biggest complaint is with my Pearl Exports. I LOVE how solid the 7/8" mount arms are, but I just can't get them placed where I want without them being at a strange angle.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I mean why are they positioned, for the most part, to the front (reso) of the kick and not more towards the back, where we drummers sit? I've never seen anybody prefer mounted toms farther away from them! I'll bet drummers who prefer virgin kicks hang their toms closer to them than they can with kick mounts.
    I'm glad its not just me. I have a pearl kit with 12/13 mounted toms - that is ok, but I prefer to mount 10/12 toms - I cannot get the 10 tom close enough and resort to stand mounting it. I have long arms - but I also have proportionately long legs if I bring the kick in closer to me it feels too cramped.
    I like the convenience and security of kick mounted toms - the sliding tom mount arrangement on the Tama S/Classic Performer and Silverstar kits makes lots of sense to me. I hope that this idea or something similar is used by the other manufacturers as quickly as possible.

User Info Menu

On my old slingerland bass drum 14x24 in. it was towards the front. I moved it to the middle then after that I replaced it with a yamaha mount. The bass drum not being very deep I was able to use the rear holes for the front and plug the front ones w/carrage bolts.I was able to do this because my set is chrome finish and it worked perfect.

User Info Menu

For what it's worth, I'm 6'1" with a wingspan around 6'3"-6'4". I just don't like to have to reach.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Ive never had an issue, Im 5' 10"

User Info Menu

I never had any issues with my bass drum mounted 12 x9-13x10 toms. They are tilted a bit . I am also 5' 10 and can hit all my drums without reaching out. I have never played on a virgin kit so I really would not know the difference.

User Info Menu

In the beginning, I will admit that bass mounted toms made things a lot faster and simpler. I did like how fast it was to set up a drum kit if the tom is already in close proximity to where it will end up being positioned. Came in handy when I travelled with it.
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

I think a lot depends on your leg position playing the kick pedal: if you don't like sitting "on top" of your kick because you can't get the ankle/foot action you want, you tend to sit farther away from your kick mounted toms. I think,too, that it's a balance thing for the kick which is already sitting tilted with its one end up. The weight of mounted toms helps keep the front end "down" or anchored to the floor with less drum creep.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I'm assuming they are mounted so the kick doesn't tip over from the weight of the toms. The farther away from the center of mass, the easier to tip. Since they are mounted towards and tilting towards the drummer, they have to be positioned somewhat centrally to keep the whole thing balanced.

FYI, Tama has (or had at least) sliding tom holders that would allow 4 or 5" of adjustment for this purpose.

As Slingerlander pointed out, playing heel up or down will also affect how the setup seems to you, and like NR I've never had a problem.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    I mean why are they positioned, for the most part, to the front (reso) of the kick and not more towards the back, where we drummers sit?
    Because my snare is in the way?

I just mount my stuff where it's comfortable I guess.

User Info Menu

I would prefer the mount closer to the beater head too, if I could, so my legs can stretch.

Now I offset my toms and put a cymbal arm in the bass mount, so it actually works out well having it further away.

User Info Menu

i use the same set up as Weezy. I have some really old picture when I was still playing the deer rack setup
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

no issues here

but its a very short kick drum 22x14