Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Piccolo snare, anyone?

User Info Menu

Default Piccolo snare, anyone?

I know every drummer has their own vision, taste, preference... and I know that a Pic snare isn't for everyone, but I have to say it's my favorite. Why? Because I love the high pitch, the cutting ring and the distinct sound.

I like how it cuts with my smaller kit... It gives me my sound. So, I am in the market for a new one (or used one, I am not that picky as long as it's nice.) In the past I've owned a Tama hammered Pic, a Pearl Brass Pic.. I am trying to decide if I am going to try wood this time.

Any of you have any suggestions or thoughts?
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

1976 Ludwig Classic 6pc Black Diamond Pearl (Restoration in progress)

Saluda Cymbals:

13" Symbolic Prototype Hand Hammered Jazz Hi Hats
    20" Earthworks Medium Crash/Ride
    15" Mist X Crash
    8" Decadence China Blast Splash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Default Re: Piccolo snare, anyone?

Yep. I own a couple of Pearl piccolos, both 13x3.5", one's steel painted matt black, but the other is maple.

Both nice high and cracking. My ear can tell a little bit of the difference between the two though, as the maple one has a slight less high after-ring to it in comparison to the steel one, but both have the same kind of satisfying crack to them when played. I tend to use them more as occasional side-snares than as main snares, but they certainly have their place.

Also, I own a Tama 12x4" snare....I'd guess you'd call it a soprano more than a piccolo, the extra half-inch depth gives it a little more body when tuned down a little bit, but again, to me, sounds just as good when cranked a bit. I'm also on the look out for a Ludwig maple piccolo, something like the Pearls in size, 13x3.5"....I hear they have a slightly different sound and ring to them....could be right, could be wrong, won't know until I get to try one out. But love to have one in my collection.
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

Someone had mentioned before that they felt that the longer the grain in the wood, the longer the ring in the drum. I had never heard that in my life. I suppose if that is true, I need to read up on my drum knowledge more! LOL

I loved my Tama Pic... but I was considering wood this time if the ringing theory was true. I didn't care too much for my Pearl Brass... probably because it began pitting all over a month after I bought it. (And it was kept in a climate controlled area with low humidity.) I think they sent me one that sat on the shelf in their warehouses awhile.

I have been searching around... there are so many choices. I am looking for a decent AND affordable one.
    Kits:

2014 Gretsch Catalina Club Classic 4pc Ocean Twilight Sparkle 8x12, 14x5.5, 14x14, 14x20

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

this takes me back to 1997

User Info Menu

I think at this point I'd be more likely to find a popcorn snare as opposed to a piccolo. I had a Pearl one just like the black one above, and I actually used it as my primary back in the 1990s. I used to have a Pork Pie popcorn snare that I really regret selling several years ago. The popcorn snare can be cranked, but there is still a little bit more warmth there that's not there with such a thin shell.

User Info Menu

If that's the sound you're after, then go for it. Be aware that while it may sound like it really cuts from where you're sitting, it may be a little lacking in the back if you gig unmic'd. It may be worth looking into something like a 12x7 (Black Panther fastback come to mind). You can still get the high pitched crack, but without losing all the body.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

That would be considered a "popcorn" snare, correct? I never did see popcorn snares often when I was in the scene all of the time. After my break, I see them all of the time! I will definitely have to check them out now. I keep hearing about them.
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

I think you've got to go down to 10 inches to get into popcorn territory, but I could be wrong. I was thinking more along the lines of a power piccolo. I don't think I'd ever use a popcorn snare as a primary, but they make lovely side snares.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I see. Well, you learn something new everyday. I will be looking further into this subject for sure now!
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

I think Sound Percussion makes an 80 dollar steel piccolo. 3x13. I have the rebadged Pacific Version. Great little snare. Six tuning lugs a side. Just crank and go
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    ...... I have the rebadged Pacific Version. Great little snare. Six tuning lugs a side. Just crank and go
    Me too. I thought I could gig with it but it just couldn't compete with the rest of the band's amplified sound(I was not mic'd.)
    And every time I get out my Yamaha popcorn I want to play reggae, instead. So they are interesting but I haven't found a fit for either.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinglander View Post
    Me too. I thought I could gig with it but it just couldn't compete with the rest of the band's amplified sound(I was not mic'd.)
    And every time I get out my Yamaha popcorn I want to play reggae, instead. So they are interesting but I haven't found a fit for either.
    I have never gigged with it. Just use it while derping around by myself.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

"derping"? I love hearing my strokes on mine-lets me know how clean or sloppy I am!
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I have the same snare as Drumbledore's black Pearl Pic. It makes for a great side, effects snare cranked up high for those quirky accent situations.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Drumminchick, you might consider looking into a used 14x3 Pearl Free Floating snare. I have this one used, with a maple shell, and I got it with an additional brass shell. The beauty of these snares is the ability to change out the shell to get a different sound, because there is no lug attached to the shell.

Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I love it, PB... I wonder what they run used... I've been thinking of selling my Acrolite... (I know, I know... "don't sell that DC!!") unlike some, I don't care for the sound. It is a clean snare, but it isn't the sound I prefer. However, I was wanting to sell it to put towards my new cymbals. The music store by my home has three Pearl Maple Pics used for sale.. but they still want over 150 bucks for all of them. I don't know. The local CL doesn't have much as far as Pic snares either.

I love that free floating option... very cool.
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kazaamski View Post
    I think Sound Percussion makes an 80 dollar steel piccolo. 3x13. I have the rebadged Pacific Version. Great little snare. Six tuning lugs a side. Just crank and go
    I have this as well. Bought it from GC for about $49. I was a little skeptical about the low price but it isn't a bad snare at all. Quite snappy!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Mapex has a nice 13x3 steel pic that's affordable.. Has anyone played this one? I don't know much about Mapex. I've heard it's decent though.
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie56 View Post
    I have the same snare as Drumbledore's black Pearl Pic. It makes for a great side, effects snare cranked up high for those quirky accent situations.
    You have? Cool! We're drum-bro's then!
    "...it's the Paradigm Of The Cosmos!" Stewart Copeland on Youtube

668: The Number Of The Guy Next Door To The Beast.

"A random act of kindness; it keeps my heart in shape!" - Late8

User Info Menu

I used to have a bronze Mapex piccolo. When I finally tracked down an aluminum Black Panther I sold the piccolo. It has a similar sound range when tuned high, but was closer to the sound I was looking for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbledore View Post
    You have? Cool! We're drum-bro's then!
    We're all drum brothers, right?
    Last edited by wolvie56; 07-11-2014 at 09:03 PM.
    Custom Classic Pro Maple 6
    8",10",12",13" Mounted Toms
    (2)14",16" Floor Toms
    22" x 18" Kick
    6",8",10" Roto Toms
    14" x 6.5" Mapex Black Panther Snare
    13" x 3" Pearl Piccolo Snare
    Sabian: 13" Paragon Hats
    14" HH X Hats
    22" Paragon Ride
    (2) 16" Paragon Crashes
    20" Paragon Crash
    18" Paragon Crash
    20" Paragon Small Flange China
    19" Paragon China
    Wuhan:20"with gingles
    8",10" Splash
    Roc N Soc Lunar
    DW 8002B Pedals
    Tambourine
    Cowbell
    Sabian Squad

C C Militia

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumminchick View Post
    Mapex has a nice 13x3 steel pic that's affordable.. Has anyone played this one? I don't know much about Mapex. I've heard it's decent though.
    Mapex makes very good snares. I would definitely check it out.

As far as your question about the Pearl Free Floating snares, I would check on ebay if can't find them on your local CL. I've got the 14x3, and a 14x5. I found each of them for about $150, although I probably could have gotten a better price if I had tried.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I totally just got burned on eBay by a guy trying to extort money from me with "shipping" costs. I'm not dealing with eBay anymore. If I do, it will be "buy it now" products. That bidding crap is for the birds.
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Mapex makes very good snares. I would definitely check it out.

As far as your question about the Pearl Free Floating snares, I would check on ebay if can't find them on your local CL. I've got the 14x3, and a 14x5. I found each of them for about $150, although I probably could have gotten a better price if I had tried.

Those free floating pics are a bit above my budget right now... but maybe in the future. I think I may go with the Mapex... Seems like the best deal.
    Kits:

Saluda Cymbals:

15" Mist X Crash

16" Rancan China

User Info Menu

Hey D-Chick,

I used to own one of those Pearl piccolos. Didn't like it at all! Sold it almost as soon as I got it! Why did I have it in the first place, you ask? EEEHHHH....I'd rather not talk about it.

At first, i thought it was just personal opinion. You know, I probably just didn't like THAT one! So, I tried some others in locals shops. Hated them all! So, I started to think, maybe piccolos just aren't for me!

Anyway, after a few months, I was in my local GC, just farting around, ooking for my next HUGE purchase and equally huge mistake, when i saw an OCDP steel piccolo. 13x4, all chrome with the cool OCDP shark's tooth lugs. I expected nothing, thanks to my earlier experience with piccolos, but I was BLOWN AWAY when I laid a stick to that drum. Loud, piercing, but with great tone and ring to it. And it was only $129!!!! IF ONLY I HAD $129 WITH ME THAT DAY!! but, alas, I didn't.

anyway, the moral is; don't settle. Keep looking for the right one for you. Your prince charming could be right around the corner in a nice all-maple shell and die cast hoops, or even a prince piccolo decked out in a suit of steel and chrome, like the one I found!

Incidentally, I have been looking, and that OCDP piccolo is still at my local GC, and still at $129! They seem to have a lot of them in stock, as I recently saw one in a GC in Texas when i was visiting. See if you can lay our hands on one, and let me know what you think!
    Yamaha Stage Custom 6 pc
    Assorted Zildjian
    Gibraltar hardware
    Zildjian laminate sticks
    LOTS of snares
    AQUARIAN heads