Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Drummers Who Get Paid

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummers Who Get Paid

churches should pay more than anybody. What a racket they are.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Aaaaaannnnnd........................we're closed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Aaaaaannnnnd........................we're closed.
    LoL! IBTL
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

These arguments go thru the arts in general:
    provide your skills for free and maybe get famous! I can't say the same for other professions,ie.:who is the most famous janitor?
    But painters, graphic designers, singers, sculptors, even architects will always be approached to do something for nothing with the tag line," Maybe this will help you get famous!"
    You either buy into it or realize the offer for what it is and make your decision.
    You cannot make a living at it by offering your services for free....not even plumbers can do that, but you can have fun doing it for free or for a small renumeration. In this case I don't think you're stealing the money from One Direction or the Stones. I doubt they'll be headliners at the local bar/restaurant.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

I think it really comes down (at least here in the states) to this...you have two different mentalities when comes to being a musician. Those who bust their fanny to improve and truly enjoy being part of a musical group, and then there are those who just want to say they are in a band. For those of us (I'm in this group) that work tirelessly at improving and can't wait to play with other musicians, the 2nd group is killing it for us. Bar/club/whatever owners are all business people. If they can get away with an inferior sounding group and lower their over-head costs; why wouldn't they go this route? The pool of 'I'll-play-for-nothing' bands is endless. As a member of group 1, We work hard at our craft and expect to get paid accordingly. Those who don't care and just want to be in a band, in my opinion, just like to be on stage for the sake of being seen. That's why they will play for nothing. At the end of the night they are rockstars in their freinds and family's eyes, regardless of quality-of-craft, or money made.

For the record, this is just my opinion. I respect all the other responses, whether or not I agree with them.

Tex

User Info Menu

wasn't part of being in the musicians union for these exact kinds of concerns? Or was it just a fancy name for a band finder/ musician exchange?

Rick said it's been around forever. Is it still around today?
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    wasn't part of being in the musicians union for these exact kinds of concerns? Or was it just a fancy name for a band finder/ musician exchange?

Rick said it's been around forever. Is it still around today?

The American Federation of Musicians was founded in 1896 and is still active today.

User Info Menu

INB4
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

I think everyone's been heard and their points made. Time to move on.